The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon camera rubber cover panel pealing off....Glue recommendation?

haring

My Nikon dslr camera rubber cover panel is pealing off.... It happened to me the same with my old Nikon. It seems to be a permanent problem with Nikon cameras. Do you have any glue recommendation? The glue needs to be flexible enough and keep the rubber panel on the metal housing of the camera....
Thanks so much!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I would try a good two-surface skin adhesive like contact cement or automotive trim glue (not the GM tape, but a tube glue).

Can you show a pic of where/what is happening to your body?

D&A

As Jack suggested, contact cement works extremely well and I have used it in the past for the exact same purpose and it's been 100% effective. With that said I would caution you not to let it drip or make contact with any other area of the camera and to simply and evenly (but thinly) coat the rubberized piece and the area of the body the rubber will be adhered to.

Lastly to avoid dealing with contact cement, the rubberized piece and sticky double sided tape cut precisely for the rubber falling off is generally available from Nikon.

Dave (D&A)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nikon camera rubber cover panel peeling off ... Glue recommendation ?

I once replaced the grip rubber parts on my now nine year old D300 with a new set.
It was very easy to "do-it-yourself" replace it, and after the change the camera looked like new.

That is what I would personally choose to do again, in case the rubber is peeling off.
My local Nikon service company firmly advised me to do so rather than use any kind of glue for metal and plastic materials in general.

I no longer recall where I bought the rubber set.
You might make a search for your specific camera model like e.g. "Nikon D700 grip rubber set new", or maybe ask your camera retailer to order an original set from Nikon.

Just my 0.02

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Found the Parts Site for Nikon USA

DSLR Parts from Nikon

Here are some D750 price examples, the parts are compatible with D750 only

D750 Front Grip Unit 115KB from Nikon -- 13.72 USD

D750 Side Rubber Unit 115K9 from Nikon -- 6.51 USD

D750 Rear Rubber Unit 115KH from Nikon -- 4.38 USD

(Again, choosing to replace the rubber part is just my 0.02)

Last edited:

haring

Re: Nikon camera rubber cover panel peeling off ... Glue recommendation ?

Found the Parts Site for Nikon USA

DSLR Parts from Nikon

Here are some D750 price examples, the parts are compatible with D750 only

D750 Front Grip Unit 115KB from Nikon -- 13.72 USD

D750 Side Rubber Unit 115K9 from Nikon -- 6.51 USD

D750 Rear Rubber Unit 115KH from Nikon -- 4.38 USD

(Again, choosing to replace the rubber part is just my 0.02)
Not bad! The only problem is that these parts are not available for D4s and D4 cameras.... Is there any other website I can order these for my Nikon D4s?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Well, it seems like it does exist also for the D4s, though apparently at a somewhat higher price, maybe due to smaller production numbers.
Here's an eBay add for a claimed "Genuine Nikon replacement Part", though who knows how genuine that is.
Nikon D4s Grip Rubber Unit GENUINE/ORIGINAL Part NEW. 1139J | eBay
This eBay price level makes me suspicious, because if e.g. you Google search for the rubber grip for Nikon D750 the found eBay seller seems to charge a higher price than the price directly from the Nikon Corporation I showed in the above post.

So if I were you I would ask Nikon what part number it is, and where and how to get it, and at what price.
Where in the world are you located, are you in USA (your location doesn't show in your signature, but your link indicates Miami) ?
And are you an NPS member (member of Nikon Professional Services) ?
https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/ni/NI_home?ctry=US&lang=en_US

D&A

My suggestion is to call parts department in Melville N.Y and inquire if the parts you desire, are available. Thats how I obtained replacement rubber grip for the D3s.

Dave (D&A)