The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon’s 100th anniversary - what will it be ?

Swissblad

Difficult to guess - I'm not sure it will be a Df type of body......the last wasn't a major hit - and crippled in many aspects - terrific sensor - lousy AF etc.

Most current bodies are at a peak of development - D810, D500 and D5 - really very little to wish for.

I wonder if Nikon will launch a product to counter the Sony AR7 series..... as this must be eating away at sales....?

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think the D810 would be due for an update - I guess will have more MP (although that is what I don't need) but pretty sure the D5 AF system.

If they would be able to add a built in EVF to the OVF that would be like heaven. Of course then with all the advantages for video shooting .....

jduncan

I think the D810 would be due for an update - I guess will have more MP (although that is what I don't need) but pretty sure the D5 AF system.

If they would be able to add a built in EVF to the OVF that would be like heaven. Of course then with all the advantages for video shooting .....
If I have to decide it will be a 24MP FF body with the D5 AF system. A dream camera for the "budget" Wedding photographers, many of them divided between the D810 and the D750. Now, I do believe you are right: A higer megapixel camera should be. If they don't it could be an indicative of something bad : Sony not giben access to new sensors to Nikon

archivue

D810 improvements ? oh yes...

in camera stabilisation
in camera focus stacking as in phase one XF
in camera profoto air sync
AF tuning as sigma art at different distance
touch screen
wifi
better DR
a real 25iso
better long exposure
better live view... and a way to manually focus with 100%crop in the center and the frame around (panasonic style... )
and maybe more pixels... but i'm not sure that it's a good idea... DR is far more important... more MP means more focusing problems, optics... more DR means more DR...

but it will be great to see first an A7R II type of camera made by nikon with a new mount (larger and thinner) and 100% compatible with current nikon's lenses via a dedicated adaptor !

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Free cameras to all!

No, seriously, I would like an ultra small, but with a good grip, and ultra light FX camera with a great viewfinder. Think D5600 size.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Free cameras to all!

No, seriously, I would like an ultra small, but with a good grip, and ultra light FX camera with a great viewfinder. Think D5600 size.
Ultra small and great optical viewfinder together are a tough order. Great EVF is another story...

I would like to see a FF Nikon body a-la Sony AR lines, but with classic Nikon ergos, a flip out rear LCD, and a killer eye-level EVF. 36MP would be fine here for me.

I suspect we will see a sensor upgrade to the D810 -- D820 ?? -- possibly/probably on the order of 48MP.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

(...) I would like an ultra small, but with a good grip, and ultra light FX camera with a great viewfinder. Think D5600 size.

Something like this .-)

both are screendumps from Nikon’s 100th anniversary video - to see the video click in the image

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'd like to see a subscription plan for new body updates. Pay a fixed amount that entitles you to a predetermined number of body upgrades/replacements every 2 years or so. The more you invest upfront, the more upgrades you are eligible for. So, for example, you plunk down $5,000 and that entitles you to 3 new camera bodies (at the top-of-the-line level) over a period of 8 years. The plan could be scaled to allow for more dollars upfront and more years worth of upgrades. Assuming the average price for a new body is $2,200, you achieve a certain savings simply by contracting in advance. They get wads of money all at once, I get to sell my wife on the idea and point out the frugality of the whole arrangement.

I can honestly say that I've been completely satisfied with each new body I've purchased and so, I have a fair amount of confidence that I would be happy to stick with the brand. All the little control and function improvements/variations over the years don't really make much difference to me. The sensor development on the other hand, does make a significant difference.

I know, silly.

Best,
Tim

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Hi Tim
I somewhat doubt we will see such a subscription-with-rebate system materialized, but kudos for a refreshing new and innovative way of thinking :thumbup:
You'd probably need to elaborate some sort of definition of subscription groups of camera types, in itself not an easy thing to define in a stable way as development moves forward.

Besides, when reading the wishes in this thread, we look like a difficult bunch to satisfy.
So many wishes, pointing in every thinkable direction.

FX or DX.
Speed or resolution.
Mirror or no mirror.
Tool character or coat pocket size.
Old mount or new mount.
Etc.
I am afraid we are a hopeless bunch to make happy :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ultra small and great optical viewfinder together are a tough order. Great EVF is another story...

I would like to see a FF Nikon body a-la Sony AR lines, but with classic Nikon ergos, a flip out rear LCD, and a killer eye-level EVF. 36MP would be fine here for me.

I suspect we will see a sensor upgrade to the D810 -- D820 ?? -- possibly/probably on the order of 48MP.
I have a Nikon F80 (N80 in the US) here. It's 141.5 × 98.5 × 71 mm. The D5600 is 124 x 97 x 70 mm. The difference in width is due to the F80 being built for film. Surprisingly, it's only 1.5mm taller than the D5600, and although the viewfinder isn't D5 size and quality, it's clearly a full frame viewfinder. Add a few millimeters, skip the flash and it would be even better.

However, with the quality of the viewfinder that I see in my GX8 and the GH5 apparently being even better, I agree that that will probably be the way to go. The D5500 and D5600 are Nikon's hidden gems btw. Their weakness is the viewfinder. Image quality is up there with the best.

V

Vivek

Good to note the interest and enthusiasm about Sony A7R II and EVF. There is a chance that Nikon might progress beyond their 1("). :thumbup: