The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

nikkor ais 50mm f1.2

briphoto

Hi,
Has anyone here used this lens for landscape, I'm aware of it's beautiful rendering wide open. How does it perform at f8 and f11 for detailed landscape images? Can I get the best of both worlds, beautiful wide open and sharp at f8 and f11? I would be using it on a d810. Thanks for all input.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Sure the AIS 1.2 is a wonderful small lens that is very sharp when stopped down.

The following from a D810

Nikon D810 AIS 50 1.2 @ F4

Nikon D 810 AIS 50 1.2 @ F1.2

I rarely stopped the lens to F8 as from intermediate to infinity distances F4 or 5.6 was sufficient.

The bokeh can be a bit frenetic at times but overall a very beautiful drawing from the lens.

Regards,

Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It is as good as any other 50 stopped down.

It is almost magical wide open:

It even renders an oddly old-style LF look when used wide open for landscapes:

All that said, I sold mine (to Graham) after I got the 50 ART. Main reason was AF is easier on my old eyes and the fact the Art wide open generates an almost -- but not quite -- identical look. At the time I felt it was close enough, and it has proven to be. Admittedly I do miss the 1.2 on occasion, but just not enough to buy another in addition to the ART. (I respect YMMV.) End of day I think the 50 ART is a better all-around lens -- and in fact about the best 50 money can buy period, but the 50/1.2 remains special. So many 50's, so little time... :ROTFL:

k-hawinkler

Here I use the Nikkor 50/1.2 with autofocus on Sony A7r.2 and the TechArt Pro (TAP) autofocus adapter, f probably was set to 5.6. Sweet! :watch:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I had it and it's great for portraits. I'm sure it's fine stopped down as well, but so are most fifties. If I buy another Nikon FX body, I'll probably get another 50/1.2 too. It's a nice lens and an obvious part of any 3-lens manual focus setup, which in my case would be 21 (Zeiss)/50/105.

Here's wide open: