The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon PC-E 19mm Lens

routlaw

Just curious, has anyone bellied up to the bar to brave the steep price on this lens? I keep reading very positive things about it but haven't found any high res files and few published photos online with it, just a lot of positive chatter.

Thanks

routlaw

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
At only $3400 US, it's a must have for all Nikon shooters!

:facesmack: :shocked: :scry::scry::scry:

Alan

It's a great lens. No complaints after using it for a couple months. It has better image quality than the Canon 17, but not as wide... tradeoffs.

Copy/Paste from http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=114124.msg956880#msg956880:
Distortion, CA, sharpness, microcontrast are all excellent. It's vulnerable to veiling flare from stray light sources, even a bright sky/window - keep it shaded with flags, hand, etc. The mechanics are more versatile and sturdier, if a little slower to operate (worm drive shift vs rack & pinion).

I haven't done thorough comparisons at multiple distances, but quickly at medium distance: (my single copies only)
14-24 @ 19mm: center is comparable to PCE19, corners are softer than unshifted PCE19.
17-35 @ 19mm: center slightly softer @ 5.6 than PCE19, corners softer at best aperture than unshifted PCE19 at any aperture.
PCE 24mm: similar at center, softer everywhere else than PCE19.

viablex1

Thanks, and after posting this message I later noticed that thread. Unfortunately the files had already been taken down. I agree it would be a killer and funs lens to own if it lives up to the reports. Price of admission is steep though. I may do it anyway.
I am curious to see what you think of it if you get it!!!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
the 19mm i a total bargain

At only $3400 US, it's a must have for all Nikon shooters!

:facesmack: :shocked: :scry::scry::scry:

Just concentrate on how much you would have to pay for the lens in e.g. my country where it comes at an adult price of 30,995 DKK which equals 4,432 USD :shocked:

Then you will easily consider your local price a total bargain :ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Steen... I will buy two now!

:ROTFL:

Seriously, while I joke about this lens it is for some reason stuck quite uncomfortably in the back of my head. Probably because I love the 18 focal and also love really good IQ :rolleyes: Thus, I suspect I will own one soon enough. :facesmack:

routlaw

Clearly these things are going to be flying off the shelf, what with Jack getting two now, this will only be the start. :grin::thumbup: