The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I ordered a new 35 1.8. Anyone else?

clay stewart

I have a new 35 1.8 coming in a few days. I figured for two hundred bucks, I could give it a try.

I sold my 35 2.0 last summer, to a friend, when I got rid of the D300 and I've been missing that focal length on my D90. Anyway, the reviews seem pretty good, other than maybe some strange bokeh. I'll post a few pics when I get it.

Anyone else getting one or have one?

clay stewart

I think I like mine too, Hansen. I just got it last night and my first impressions are it's sharp wide open and very contrasty. The focus seems pretty fast and reminds me of the 85L, the way it just slides into focus, but it's faster getting there. I'll take some shots today and maybe put up some samples in case anyone else is interested.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks for posting, Clay. Looks good.
I only wish Nikon would make a lens road map (sigh) :rolleyes:

R

Ranger 9

Question for you 35/1.8 owners: If someone already owns the 35/2 (which I do) is there any compelling reason to switch?

I plan to stick to DX-format Nikons, so the 35/2's FX coverage isn't necessary. And on the other hand, I don't own any low-end bodies without a focus coupler, so the 35/1.8's built-in motor isn't essential either.

It would all come down to performance, convenience, etc. Any thoughts?

clay stewart

Question for you 35/1.8 owners: If someone already owns the 35/2 (which I do) is there any compelling reason to switch?

I plan to stick to DX-format Nikons, so the 35/2's FX coverage isn't necessary. And on the other hand, I don't own any low-end bodies without a focus coupler, so the 35/1.8's built-in motor isn't essential either.

It would all come down to performance, convenience, etc. Any thoughts?
I always thought the 35/2 was a good lens, at least as good as the Canon in sharpness and better with bokeh. The only thing I had a problem with was
shooting into the sun at weddings, with lens flair, but the guy I sold it too fixed that problem, by putting a Nikon 105 2.5 lens shade on it. It's a pretty long shade, for such a small lens, but no more lens flare.

I haven't had this new 1.8 lens long enough to say anything other than it's sharp and the bokeh is OK.

The things I like about the new lens, as well as the price and free hood, is that it doesn't extend when it focuses and it has a rubber gasket, which should help keep out dust and moisture.

Last edited:

clay stewart

Thanks for posting, Clay. Looks good.
I only wish Nikon would make a lens road map (sigh) :rolleyes:
Yeah Bondo, it would suck if Nikon came out with a full frame version of this lens a couple of months from now, or a 1.4 model. At least it's only a couple hundred bucks. :)

HansenTsang

I have the Nikkor 35 f1.4 AIS, Nikkor 35 f2 AF-D, Sigma 30 mm f1.4 HSM and now the Nikkor 35 f1.8 G AF-S. I must say I really like the 35 f1.8. I had to force myself to use the Sigma 30 because my copy was a bit soft wide open. The older Nikkor 35 f2 AF-D was good wide open but just a bit slow enough that I hardly use it at all. I almost always prefer to take the 50 mm f1.4 with me instead.

If the 35 f2 does everything you want and need there is no reason to switch. If you get it just for a collection then by all means help out the economy.

Clay, I have read that the 35 f1.8 is almost as good with a full frame body. I will have to try it on my D700 and post some pictures here.

As far as road map, no I prefer to be surprised. ;)

Last edited: