The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I'm doomed... the D5000

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I think this announcement bodes well for all of us who want to see what is going to be offered in the next generation of D300/700 cameras as well. Vis a vis, tilting screen, cleaner, lower noise images etc. If they can clean up a 12mp image on DX, what will be the next increment up for these cameras upmarket...??? Fun stuff still coming...
Exactly my thoughts as well. If I can use the Dx00 the way I used my long gone Rolleiflex, I'll be in photography heaven :p

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Canceled my D5000, D700 and D3X already. This one looks much cooler :D

If it's not for real, some people have way too much time to fool around with Photoshop :cool:

Oh well, I suppose the S5 will last for another few years, until Nokia comes with F-mount (would that be a Nikia or a Nokon?) :rolleyes:

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Jorgen - that was one great "fake camera" image, I am still holding out for a FF Fuji S6 with real 24mp and huge dynamic range...though I am not holding my breath, or maybe a 32mm square chip, modified view box, and 25mp chip with the same dynamic range for all of us square lovers...er... that didn't sound too good, but I assume you know what I meant...:) but talk about a replacement for a Rollei or Hassy.....

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If the D750 is real, and there's always a possibility that it is, it would be the answer to most of my needs. Wait and see, wait and see....

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
As I already own a D700, I would have to wait unless the D750 has the D3x chip also....patience...patience.....not easy to come by...

Lars

If find it hard to believe that Nikon would use the D3x sensor in a semipro camera so soon after D3x shipped. We could hope but I would expect more of a 5DII competitor with 18-20 Mpx, good video and high ISO.

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Lars - that could work also, 20+mp would be good for me as an upgrade to the D700. The D300 will be kept unless it is a full 24mp, due to its lighter weight and pixel pitch. A 20mp version, if less then the D3x in mp, would still be a good camera for my landscapes. If the D3x chip version is realized then I will buy it and get rid of the Dx gear, as at that point, you could crop the image from this version and not lose anything compared to the D300. Lots of choices for sure....I think I can wait a few mos or so either way ...hehe...really no choice, with two kids in college, a D3x is to rich for me....my wallet is light enough as it is...:)

etrigan63

A D3X sensor in a semi-pro body would be just what I need to sell off my D300. I hope they don't add the swiveling display. It would be a weak point both structurally (one more thing to break off) and conceptually (not really a "pro" feature). If they do go for it, I hope they engineer it with the strength of a diving board. I can already see people holding the camera up in the air by the display to get some extra height.

"Never underestimate the depth of human stupidity." - Lazarus Long, Time Enough for Love by Robert Heinlein.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The rumour is that the D750 or whatever will be 18-20MP, but again, it's only a rumour.

I hope they don't add the swiveling display. It would be a weak point both structurally (one more thing to break off) and conceptually (not really a "pro" feature). If they do go for it, I hope they engineer it with the strength of a diving board. I can already see people holding the camera up in the air by the display to get some extra height.
I can't see why a swiveling display isn't a "pro" feature. In my case, it would make industrial as well as product photography very much easier, and I believe that at least my clients consider that professional work. But I could be wrong of course, in which case I should return the money they've paid me, shouldn't I :confused:

As for strength; yes it can break off, but apart from that, the structural strength of the body isn't affected. Olympus made a video when they launched the E-3, showing a man standing on the prism housing of the camera. Those who tend to break things can always buy a D3X or a D3 or a D700 or a D300/400, but they will most probably be able to break any of those as well :LOL:

woodyspedden

If find it hard to believe that Nikon would use the D3x sensor in a semipro camera so soon after D3x shipped. We could hope but I would expect more of a 5DII competitor with 18-20 Mpx, good video and high ISO.
Although it did not take Nikon long to get the D3 chip in to the D700 body! I suspect they get the pros to jump early for the professional body, get the profits needed to cover substantial R&D costs and then move on to the mass market. When you cut through it, there are little differences between the D3 and D700's. Their dilemma is that the A900 is eating their lunch in the meantime. They must get to market with a $3K range product with 20+ Mpx to stop that bleeding.

JMHO

Woody

jonoslack

Calling it a Pocket Rocket might be too much. It's even bigger than the D60, which it does apparently not replace. And the articulated screen is not as well thought out as on the Olympus E-620, which has in-body IS, something Nikon doesn't.
. . . . and then there's the Olympus lenses.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
. . . . and then there's the Olympus lenses.
Hmmm... and then there's the Olympus lenses. Yes, I can hear you, and I have a couple of those lenses. I think I'll move to some communist country, one of those where there's only one choice. Are there any left? North Korea :confused:

etrigan63

The rumour is that the D750 or whatever will be 18-20MP, but again, it's only a rumour.

I can't see why a swiveling display isn't a "pro" feature. In my case, it would make industrial as well as product photography very much easier, and I believe that at least my clients consider that professional work.
I should have phrased this better.

What I meant to say was that although "pros" have been longing for a swiveling display on their main cameras, the actual hinge mechanism compromises the "weatherfastness" of the camera. The body can have 70 bajillion seals, grommets and watertight knobs, the two-axis hinge itself will not be weathertight if it is to have a meaningful service life. Remember, the electrical connections have to pass through the hinge as I don't foresee Nikon employing wireless USB and broadcast power to present the camera body and display as two independently sealed units.

I am not an engineer by training and I have found engineers to be clever little buggers who delight in making a fool out of me...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I should have phrased this better.

What I meant to say was that although "pros" have been longing for a swiveling display on their main cameras, the actual hinge mechanism compromises the "weatherfastness" of the camera. The body can have 70 bajillion seals, grommets and watertight knobs, the two-axis hinge itself will not be weathertight if it is to have a meaningful service life. Remember, the electrical connections have to pass through the hinge as I don't foresee Nikon employing wireless USB and broadcast power to present the camera body and display as two independently sealed units.

I am not an engineer by training and I have found engineers to be clever little buggers who delight in making a fool out of me...
Still, Olympus has managed, so it is apparently doable. It must be said though, that there have been examples of water intrusion behind the acrylic (or whatever material they use) that covers the LCD of the E-3, but that doesn't seem to be a widespread problem.

etrigan63

Yeah, but how many actuations can you perform on that Oly hinge before it gets compromised? If they are considering it on a "pro/semi-pro" body, it had better be ready to take a heap of abuse (hence my bit about engineering it like a diving board). Or as Cobra Commander put it: "It has the constitution of a vending machine!"

It's like waterproof watches - they're waterproof up until you crack open the seals to change the battery, after that all bets are off.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yeah, but how many actuations can you perform on that Oly hinge before it gets compromised? If they are considering it on a "pro/semi-pro" body, it had better be ready to take a heap of abuse (hence my bit about engineering it like a diving board). Or as Cobra Commander put it: "It has the constitution of a vending machine!"

It's like waterproof watches - they're waterproof up until you crack open the seals to change the battery, after that all bets are off.
Olympus consider it a pro body. I haven't seen any crazy stories about the E-3, but people literally went swimming with the E-1. That one didn't have a swiveling LCD though.

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Carlos - the watch analogy may not be accurate, the "waterproof" watches tend not to be weathersealed after a battery change due all to often to the kid in the mall, who is changing the battery NOT having the right tool to make it so. Whereas, if the watch is brought to a real jeweler or watchmaker, who does have the right equipment, they can be made "sealed" again. .....also I feel you are correct on one thing, if Canon or Nikon want to truly make a professional model with a tilt/swivel LCD and make it durable, some one could and would make it work....JMHO....

p.s. my father was a watchmaker.....

etrigan63

Never having bought a watch from a jeweler and/or watchmaker. My every experience has involved the loss of weather seal with a battery change. My current watch is a solar powered titanium Citizen bought at Macy's. Never have to change the battery. Water resistant to 7 ATM (though I will only ever hit that depth being tied to an anchor - the deepest I've ever gone is 100 ft (~3 ATM)).

Thanks for the clarification.

And I agree, if Canon/Nikon were to deploy a two-axis swivel hinge display on a pro/semi-pro body:

A) It would have to meet the abuse/weather sealing standards of that body class
B) Pros would make it their own.