The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I'm doomed... the D5000

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Calling it a Pocket Rocket might be too much. It's even bigger than the D60, which it does apparently not replace. And the articulated screen is not as well thought out as on the Olympus E-620, which has in-body IS, something Nikon doesn't.

But! I downloaded the high-ISO samples at www.imaging-resource.com, and it's good... very good. Only jpegs obviously, but they are better than the D300, easily two stops better than the Olympus E-30 and nearly one stop better than the Canon 500D. This being an amateur camera, I'm sure they've added all kind of noise reduction tricks that takes away some detail, and that was clearly visible in the shadow areas, but it's impressive nonetheless. No D700, but for a third of the price and half of the weight, it's certainly a nice suplement.

It won't meter with old lenses, it will only AF with AF-S and it has a small viewfinder, but it has 11 AF points and lots of goodies. My decision to buy the E-620 is in danger :confused:

Did I mention the 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5? They've launched Nikkor a 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 as well :eek:

Last edited:

cjlacz

E-620 is still smaller. I was disappointed it only has one cross-type AF sensor nor does it have the AF micro adjust. Depending on your needs it's certainly tempting.

Lars

The target market is pretty obvious, and it isn't Jorgen (I think that's a compliment :)). It will sell like cupcakes. There's still nothing on the market that combines SLR and video that is remotely close to "pro".

Interesting to hear about the improved IQ though.

Lars

... but I would very much like a camera with live view and articulated LCD :(
There's probably ten cameras like this one in the works from different manufacturers - in September maybe you can just pick any brand and get the camera you want.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Now, finally 3 years later than Canon they are able to come close to what a 350D, 450D and now 500D have been / are.

What is the big thing they have achieved? They produce a me too thing, which others could do already for years :mad:

Great Nikon :ROTFL:

I am neither impressed, nor amused!

Lars

Now, finally 3 years later than Canon they are able to come close to what a 350D, 450D and now 500D have been / are.

What is the big thing they have achieved? They produce a me too thing, which others could do already for years :mad:

What are you getting/trolling at?

Last edited:

kevinparis

has no-one spotted the blinding flaw with the swivel screen.... wont work on a tripod or if you lay the camera down... seems stupid to me...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Since Canon launched their DSLR with video and articulated LCD years before Nikon, I think it must have been during the early fifties, it would only be fair if Nikon threw in the towel and closed down business completely. Still, I hope that they will soldier on for yet a few years, so that those of us who are not found worthy of purchasing a product conceived by Canon's divine leaders, can find a camera humble enough for our lacking abilities.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
has no-one spotted the blinding flaw with the swivel screen.... wont work on a tripod or if you lay the camera down... seems stupid to me...
I've been wondering about that too, and it certainly looks like a disadvantage compared to Olympus and Panasonic. On the other hand, Sony has an even less flexible solution on the A300/350.

Can it simply be that the camera wasn't designed with the articulated LCD to start with, and that the only place where they could find a place to anchor it securely, was at the bottom? Fuji did a similar blunder with the S3, that had an integrated vertical grip without command wheels.

Canon is of course totally superior in this respect. To use the articulated LCD on the 500D, all you need is a hammer, a screwdriver and a hacksaw, and you can move it 360 degrees or more around any axis :ROTFL:

Last edited:

Terry

Once upon a time in the world of Superzooms it was said that Canon had a patent on the side hinge. I have no idea if that is true. Panasonic did the bottom hinge on the FZ50 and switched for the G1. If that is really the case, perhaps others don't want to pay royalties.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Once upon a time in the world of Superzooms it was said that Canon had a patent on the side hinge. I have no idea if that is true. Panasonic did the bottom hinge on the FZ50 and switched for the G1. If that is really the case, perhaps others don't want to pay royalties.
That makes sense. The old Olympus cameras (5050, 5060, 7070 and 8080) as well as the Minoltas all had bottom hinge. Being Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if some of those manufacturers actually trade technology and patents. Like in one side hinge against one dust buster.

Lars

If you look at ergonomics a side hinge gets somewhat problematic. Two-hand holding gets awkward, and the left-side buttons would have to be relocated, breaking Nikon's standard button layout. This would probably also mean less room for the display if you want to keep 3:2 aspect.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If you look at ergonomics a side hinge gets somewhat problematic. Two-hand holding gets awkward, and the left-side buttons would have to be relocated, breaking Nikon's standard button layout. This would probably also mean less room for the display if you want to keep 3:2 aspect.
The aspect ratio! Why didn't I think of that :confused: That obviously makes it much easier to do on the 4/3 cameras. Adding to that is the fact that nobody are as consistent as Nikon when it comes to button layout.

Lars

There seems to be more coming, British Journal of Photography posted this today:

"As BJP went to press, Nikon unveiled two new digital SLRs - one entry level and another semi-pro - as well as new lenses. Both new DSLRs come with a high-definition video mode, with the entry-level model, the D5000, also offering a swivel LCD screen - a first for a Nikon camera."

http://www.bjp-online.com/public/showPage.html?page=852271

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There seems to be more coming, British Journal of Photography posted this today:

"As BJP went to press, Nikon unveiled two new digital SLRs - one entry level and another semi-pro - as well as new lenses. Both new DSLRs come with a high-definition video mode, with the entry-level model, the D5000, also offering a swivel LCD screen - a first for a Nikon camera."

http://www.bjp-online.com/public/showPage.html?page=852271
I'm double-doomed :p

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
I think this announcement bodes well for all of us who want to see what is going to be offered in the next generation of D300/700 cameras as well. Vis a vis, tilting screen, cleaner, lower noise images etc. If they can clean up a 12mp image on DX, what will be the next increment up for these cameras upmarket...??? Fun stuff still coming...