The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No reports here on the D3x

woodyspedden

Too much moolah for most of us. At $6k they would be flying out the door. Also the A900, at $3k, makes spending this kind of money for the Nikon a non-starter. JMHO

Woody

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Not only is the A900 much cheaper than the D3X, but some of the most important Sony/Zeiss lenses are at least equal to and sometimes better than the corresponding Nikkors. I would love to have a D3X, but it's way above my budget, and the 135, which would be one of my most used lenses, is in no way up to the quality of the Zeiss/Sony. The Nikkor is also lacking VR as well as AF-S.

robmac

Hopefully someone will step up to the challenge of getting the rest of us lusting after one.

The A900 is very nice and offers great price/performance, but I personally find the lens selection a little too limited (vs. what can be bolted on/converted to a Nikkor) at this juncture and would want to see where Sony is headed from here with it's pro DSLRs before making any buy-in decision.

On the other hand, a used D3x or the (inevitable) D700X is definitely on my watch list.

R

Ranger 9

The people who actually bought a D3x probably spend their time making money with it, rather than writing stuff on photography forums.

Affluent hobbyists who could afford to buy one for fun use won't do so because it doesn't have a Q46 space modulator, and because the lenses don't have German names on them.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
When the D3X saw the light of the day with the spec's we all know, this was my final trigger to go for the 5D2 and some nice Canon L glass.

And you know what? I have NEVER regret this yet! Although a Nikon user (including D3) for several years now. But shooting C is a big relief in terms of great files, excellent overall performance for a reasonable price and excellent glass - even compared to some of the highly acclaimed Nikkor glass.

So this might be a reason also for some other folks who considered a D3X, but finally decided not to buy one or go for another brand either due to missing functions in this high priced body or because of the price.

Sorry for Nikon :cool:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
When the D3X saw the light of the day with the spec's we all know, this was my final trigger to go for the 5D2 and some nice Canon L glass.
:clap::clap::clap:

So this might be a reason also for some other folks who considered a D3X, but finally decided not to buy one or go for another brand either due to missing functions in this high priced body or because of the price.
Yep indeed! I bought a *used* 1Ds3 at a fraction of the new price, got similar sensor resolution, similar specs as well as an auto-cleaning sensor AND a few used L zooms plus a TSE lens for less than the D3x body alone would have cost me. In fact I still have some $$$ left over for another lens before I hit the D3x's pricepoint...

Oh, and as a friend pointed out, I can mount Nikon or Leica glass on this body too!

:D,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You can mount Leica and Zeiss on a Nikon also. That benefit has disappeared for Canon. I know the price seems high on them but wondering how the files look. I like the ergonomics much better on a Nikon myself. My issue with Sony is not enough lenses and worried about high ISO work although Marc has shown some really nice samples in the high ISO area. The other question I was looking for on it was DR and tonal range. But my biggest issue with Nikon was color has any of this changed for the better. Trying to get a sense of what is going on in 35mm these days. I am looking at Top end. I know what the D700 are and the 5D2 neither one I have a primary interest in more a secondary

sc_john

Surprised i am not seeing any reports of the D3x here.
Guy,

My guess for so few reports is that all of the fora chatter I've seen about D3x has quickly turned into a waste of time. Posts from people with hands on D3x experience are drown out by the chatter of people who have not used one, but have strong opinions on how Nikon screwed up pricing or that Sony/Canon alternatives are equal, better, more cost effective, better lenses, etc. etc. etc. I am not saying that Sony or Canon aren't good, better, best... but it seems a waste of time to offer comments on D3x only the the chorus saying that you are wrong because they don't like the price or whatever. Somehow the D3x has become a lightening rod.

I also agree with Ranger 9 that most people who have one are probably out making money with it. From my experience with D3x, it is an incredible tool. It is also very demanding on glass and technique; it will amplify any weakness and mistake you make. But, it is capable of producing some of the best files (color, contrast, sharpness, dynamic range, etc.) I've seen/worked with right out of the camera. To my eye, the files have special characteristic of dimensionality, texture and appear more lifelike than other files I've worked with (the M8 is probably closest, again... to my eye). YMMV

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go out and try to make some money.

John

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The D3 was (and still is) a great camera - except that I still do not like the colors coming out of this box. The D3X shows - in my eyes - very bad higher ISO performance and I also do not like the colors. Plus I do not see any real future groundbreaking ideas behind Nikon development, as they only can rely on the Sony sensor production and do not have their own sensor development / production as Canon has.

Actually I expect some groundbreaking new developments in Canon high end DSLR models. And if they manage to keep up with the colors their sensors produce already today and stick with the ergonomics they have built into the 1DsMkxyz series, then this will be a real highlight.

Needless to say that I prefer the handling of Canon much more than Nikon. And I am much more pleased with their overall IQ results compared to Nikon. More innovation behind and this can be seen.

So if I would need a Pro DSLR body, I would not hesitate a second and buy the 1DsMk3 :angel:

R

Ranger 9

The camera I prefer is much better than all the other cameras. Its handling is better and it produces results that look better than those from other cameras. It is superior because it has the most important features while omitting the silly frills that a real photographer doesn't really need. Its lenses are better, too. And its manufacturer will be introducing even more superior models in the future, because they are better than all those other manufacturers.

There, that should cover everything for everybody. Feel free to copy and paste for future use.

harmsr

Workshop Member
The camera I prefer is much better than all the other cameras. Its handling is better and it produces results that look better than those from other cameras. It is superior because it has the most important features while omitting the silly frills that a real photographer doesn't really need. Its lenses are better, too. And its manufacturer will be introducing even more superior models in the future, because they are better than all those other manufacturers.

There, that should cover everything for everybody. Feel free to copy and paste for future use.
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

T

tetsrfun

D3x...My poor man full frame alternative...Dusted of the F100 + 14-24 f2.8 and Ektar 100.

Steve

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Guy Check Digllyod s site for his reports on the D3X paired with Zeiss and Leica glass. He takes a "price independent" view and makes no value judgement on "is the difference worth it". He is pretty sold on the D3x and has the testing to back up his viewpoint...worth a read.

The price will come down....it started at $7999 ..now its pretty easy to find one for $7499. At around $7000 it starts to look interesting .....but eventually Nikon will drop the sensor into a D700x and then you have a smaller form,weather resistant body at half the price (still $3500-4000).

Roger