The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shutter noise D3/D3x vs D700?

etrigan63

Finished the first half of a two day shoot at a small theater and some of the audience thought my D700's shutter noise was too loud. Is the D3/D3X quieter? I know it's not in M8.2 territory, but are the Pro bodies better equipped for quiet settings?

Lars

Not better in that sense, but I have to say my D2x had a more confidence-inspiring shutter sound, a solid "clonk" more than the "schlepp" of the D700.

What would be great is of course a silent mode with electronic shutter to use with live view. But that would require revamping the AF system which relies on the mirror being down.

fotografz

Not better in that sense, but I have to say my D2x had a more confidence-inspiring shutter sound, a solid "clonk" more than the "schlepp" of the D700.

What would be great is of course a silent mode with electronic shutter to use with live view. But that would require revamping the AF system which relies on the mirror being down.
Same for the D3 verses the D700.

fotografz

Actually, I pulled out the D3 and D700 to compare them. There is a very noticable difference between the two cameras in the type of sound. Although there's no scientific proof, the D3 does "seem" quieter, and is defintely a faster sound ... meaning it's over with faster.

An interesting option would be a discrete mode like the M8 offers ... leaving the wind-on, mirror drop to after you release the shutter button. Maybe that could be done with firmware like Leica did.

bubuli

yes, there is a noticeable difference between the D700 and D2x (with the former being louder), but what bothers me more is the amount of vibration that the mirror slap produces.

D700's mirror slap produces more vibration, even on a Arca Swiss Z1 + 3-series Gitzo carbon, your setup has to be really stable or you will see vibration effects on slow shutter speeds.

i don't find this as an issue with the D2x.

aboudd

Slow shutter speed, use the mirror lock-up with the shutter delay if you do not have a cable release available.

K

Kevin_b1

Hi

When I am photographing in the church during a wedding I use the Nikon D60 yes its an entry level SLR but it is by far the quitest SLR Nikon make by comparriaon my D2X sounds very loud.

For the price lts a great thing to have in your bag, dont dismiss it try it and you wil see what I mean.

regards

Kevin

Stuart Richardson

It makes sense that the shutter sounds different. The D3 is a much faster shutter system (up to 11fps versus 5fps), and the camera body itself is much more massive. Those two things should change the sound quite a bit. Overall, I was quite surprised how quiet the D3 is. Certainly not like the shutter in the Rollei 6008 -- that one is like a gunshot!

etrigan63

Well, if I can get enough folks to buy my photos they can pay for my getting a D3! Cross your fingers...