The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Elmarit 28mm on D3x

Y Sol

This morning I did a test with the Elmarit 28mm (new version) and
my old Nikkor Ais 28mm 2,8. Both lenses on infinity and F8. All files converted with NX2, then I used photoshop reducing to sRGB jpgs.

More test will follow soon.

Y Sol

Last edited:

robmac

Interesting. The Leica has the edge in fine detail in your shots (see texture in walls) but the Nikon is pretty close. having owned the Leica and not the 28, will be interested in seeing the comparos at faster apertures.

fotografz

F/8 doesn't help with evaluations that much.

How are the corners? How is barrel distortion? Shots at f/2.8?

Leica 77

Hello Y Sol,
The results of your comparison between the Leica 28mm and the Nikkor 28mm lenses are quite intriguing. I have used the Leica 28mm (older version) and the Nikkor 28 mm (newer version) and I think the Leica 28mm (older version) produced slightly sharper images for subjects far away. However, the Nikkor 28 mm (newer version) has a lens design that excells in taking images of close distance subjects. It might be fun for you to do a comparison of your two lenses for subjects at a close distance. Best regards, Leica 77

robmac

The 2.8 Elmarit shot looks more like what I remember from my (latest) version. With that floating element it also does a great job REALLY close.

That said, I'd be interested to see how the Nikon did center frame at 2.8.

Paratom

Interesting. The Leica has the edge in fine detail in your shots (see texture in walls) but the Nikon is pretty close. having owned the Leica and not the 28, will be interested in seeing the comparos at faster apertures.
Rob, I think there is less texture in the Nikonshot because the wall looks blown out /more contrast in the image.