The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Nikon 200-400 great shots?

fultonpics

was sitting in the dugout two days ago shooting the reds v giants game. all four shooters had the 200-400 on their camera's. most of these guys were using primes a year ago.

it has sort of become the 'standard' for sports shooters at this point. you couldn't even get one during the olympics as nikon had them all headed to beijing. its amazing how this lens has changed the game. still guys out there with their canon gear, but more and more nikon everyday.

Leica 77

was sitting in the dugout two days ago shooting the reds v giants game. all four shooters had the 200-400 on their camera's. most of these guys were using primes a year ago.

it has sort of become the 'standard' for sports shooters at this point. you couldn't even get one during the olympics as nikon had them all headed to beijing. its amazing how this lens has changed the game. still guys out there with their canon gear, but more and more nikon everyday.
Hello fultonpics,
Kudos to the Nikon 200-400mm!

Lloyd

I posted this on the Fun Nikon pix thread, but since it's with the 200-400, I'll include it here.

This is from yesterday's Stage One of the Tour of Utah. Oscar Sevilla and Francisco Mancebo of Rock Racing consolidate their lead with about one kilometer to go on the hot and windy final climb of the day. Once over the top, they held on for the final 15km to the finish, crossing the line together just 25 seconds ahead of the main peleton. Mancebo was awarded the stage victory.

D300; 200-400/f4 @4.5:

etrigan63

I have been curious about this lens for my stage work. I currently use a 70-200 f/2.8 which sharp enough to shave a cat, but was looking for something longer. How would this compare the 70-200 + 1.4TC? I know lens would be a tad longer 400mm vs 280mm, but what about low light performance?

fultonpics

etrigan63

you might try using the 70-200 with 1.4 to see if you can 'live' with the low light and the focus performance at f 4.0. obviously, the 200-400 is great for daylight use, however it requires more skill to shoot it in low light if you are covering moving objects. i shot it on saturday night for a nationally ranked football team in a stadium with very poor lights (portable 4 towers for an 75,000 seat venue). most of us using that lens were at iso 3200 up to iso 5000. i had to use every trick i could remember to get good clean shots at 4.0. we need speeds of at least 1/320 for a running back if he is coming at you and faster for passing shots. i got the images, but man i could have sure used a 400 2.8. it focused ok, but not great on those long passing shots that i think a 2.8 would have locked on. i'll post a few examples later. i had at least 50 shots good enough for my agency.

if you can rent the lens, please do and see it it works for you. if it doesn't, the 300 2.8 is stellar. i know quite a few guys that use the 200 2.0 with the tele extender--kinda of best of both worlds. if you need the length, then it is a 400.

fultonpics

well it is fall. hockey season starts next week! (go sharks). here are some shots cluttering up my desktop waiting to be filed--with the 200-400 to offset all the beautiful art pictures on the site:

#1) Go Cal--Jahvid Best scoring on goal line of first game of season

#2) Ichiro hits his 2000th career MLB hit--second fastest in history to attain this achievement

#3) Giants star pitcher Tim Lincecum against Colorado and before back injury

#4) Go Raiders (from stock)

#5) This 17 year old made it to the quarterfinals of the US Open before getting beat--watch her in years to come--Melanie Oudin

Leica 77

well it is fall. hockey season starts next week! (go sharks). here are some shots cluttering up my desktop waiting to be filed--with the 200-400 to offset all the beautiful art pictures on the site:

#1) Go Cal--Jahvid Best scoring on goal line of first game of season

#2) Ichiro hits his 2000th career MLB hit--second fastest in history to attain this achievement

Hi fultonpics,
#1) Go Bears (My Alma Mater)! #2) Ichiro's historic record during the first inning of the game! Fantastic images! All the best, Leica 77 :)

Lloyd

At my niece's soccer match this afternoon. The girl in blue never played soccer until this year (she's 14), but has been in gymnastics since she was 3-years old. An injury to her arm ended that for her, so she came out for the high school soccer team. What she lacks in skills, she more than makes up in hustle. Here, just at the end of the game she breaks away. Number 9 in white fouled her seconds after this shot, but the blue team converted the penalty kick with no time left, winning the match 4-3. This girl was carried from the field on her teammate's shoulders.

D300; 200-400 @ f4:

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
At my niece's soccer match this afternoon. The girl in blue never played soccer until this year (she's 14), but has been in gymnastics since she was 3-years old. An injury to her arm ended that for her, so she came out for the high school soccer team. What she lacks in skills, she more than makes up in hustle. Here, just at the end of the game she breaks away. Number 9 in white fouled her seconds after this shot, but the blue team converted the penalty kick with no time left, winning the match 4-3. This girl was carried from the field on her teammate's shoulders.
She does Look like a winner, doesn't she, at least judging from your excellent capture :thumbup:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
At my niece's soccer match this afternoon. [...]
Fantastic soccer moment.
One can easily see which one has the right stuff.

And btw, georgeous field wuality they got here. Most european pros in the cradle of soccer don't have this kind of lawn.

Great photo where every detail, expression and intentions are revealed.

Lloyd

Fantastic soccer moment.
One can easily see which one has the right stuff.

And btw, georgeous field wuality they got here. Most european pros in the cradle of soccer don't have this kind of lawn.

Great photo where every detail, expression and intentions are revealed.
Thanks. That's just a typical field behind the local high school. The football (American style) team was waiting for the match to end to practice on it.

Soccer is very popular here locally, with kids of all ages playing, and a number of very competitive leagues and clubs for adults. We have a large hispanic population, which certainly adds to the interest, and the level of competition.

Last edited: