The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Nikon 200-400 great shots?

fultonpics

Well, the season transitions to fall. Baseball is coming to an end quicker than us SF Giants fans wanted. Here is a parting 200-400 shot of Matt Cain in his last game at AT&T this season--he went 8 shut out innings. Due to shadows, I did the image back-lit. Btw, if you do sports in the fall where player's hats or helmets create face-shadows, try back lit (you probably already knew that!)

Next up: it's hockey and football. This is the Sharks defending against the Ducks the other night. For hockey, the 200-400 gets left in its' case and only 2.8 aperture lenses get used. the 70-200 is the main when shooting through the glass hole--like below. The D3's high ISO performance is really welcomed at the Shark Tank. The President's Cup (golf) is in SF during Oct., so the 200-400 will get a workout then. Oh, if any of you are at Stanford this weekend for football, I'm the guy wearing the CAL hat on the field (it goes over well with the Athletic Director...)

Last edited:

Lloyd

Well, the season transitions to fall. Baseball is coming to an end quicker than us SF Giants fans wanted. Here is a parting 200-400 shot of Matt Cain in his last game at AT&T this season--he went 8 shut out innings. Due to shadows, I did the image back-lit. Btw, if you do sports in the fall where player's hats or helmets create face-shadows, try back lit (you probably already knew that!)

Very nice. I love shooting backlit images with the 200-400.

fultonpics

thanks LLoyd. back lit creates a nice back ground for sure.

well, its going to be mostly inside for now and no 200-400...

here's one from today with the terrible old version 70-200VR. no, i am not wasting money on the new one. i like a little natural 'framing' anyway.

Lloyd

thanks LLoyd. back lit creates a nice back ground for sure.

well, its going to be mostly inside for now and no 200-400...

here's one from today with the terrible old version 70-200VR. no, i am not wasting money on the new one. i like a little natural 'framing' anyway.

Nice... I'm with you on the "old" 70-200VR, I like that too.

fultonpics

Well it was the last home game of the year for the SF Giants and Tim Lincecum closed out the home-stand which was fitting given he opened the season at AT&T Park. So probably not many sports fans on this forum, but for the one or two who know who the Giants are--these are for you. 200-400 of course (the only lens I take to the park)
The Giants defeated Guy's Diamondbacks 7-3. (for you optics freaks that worry about putting a filter on your lens, #2 was shot with a heavy net on the lens!)

Lloyd

Well it was the last home game of the year for the SF Giants and Tim Lincecum closed out the home-stand which was fitting given he opened the season at AT&T Park. So probably not many sports fans on this forum, but for the one or two who know who the Giants are--these are for you. 200-400 of course (the only lens I take to the park)
The Giants defeated Guy's Diamondbacks 7-3. (for you optics freaks that worry about putting a filter on your lens, #2 was shot with a heavy net on the lens!)
Wow, wow, wow. :bugeyes: Those are fantastic. That first one knocks my socks off!

(BTW, I lived in SF for some time, went to grad school there, but had no car, so I spent a lot of time at the A's games, since BART got me there easily. I'm originally from Boston, so I'm a lifelong Sox fan, and the American League was always (still is) first in my heart!)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Fantastic shots, whether you're into basebal... or not.
Revealing a lot of action and intention.

Technically the quality of contrast in the second shot is unique.

m_driscoll

And now for something completely different.

Great sports shots. Only place I've used this lens is out in the woods. Beautiful lens. Sort of a Nikon Swiss Army knife. Works well with TC-E14E, also. Cheers.

1. D3; 200-400mm lens; 1/1000s @f/8; ISO 3200

2. D3; 200-400mm lens; 1/1250s @f/8; ISO 3200

3. D3; 200-400mm lens; 1/1000s @f/8; ISO 800

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Lloyd

Re: And now for something completely different.

Great sports shots. Only place I've used this lens is out in the woods. Beautiful lens. Sort of a Nikon Swiss Army knife. Works well with TC-E14E, also. Cheers.
]
Awesome shots!! :salute:

fultonpics

great shots and subject! was wondering why you shoot at f/8 and such a high speed--and thereby need the ISO? i shoot sports, so everything is usually moving, and can get away with much slower speeds and open apertures--and lower ISO. the D3 can handle 3200, but it won't give you much crop ability and using curves can be messy. anyway, I'm sure you have good reasons, just thought I might learn from your experience.

m_driscoll

great shots and subject! was wondering why you shoot at f/8 and such a high speed--and thereby need the ISO? i shoot sports, so everything is usually moving, and can get away with much slower speeds and open apertures--and lower ISO. the D3 can handle 3200, but it won't give you much crop ability and using curves can be messy. anyway, I'm sure you have good reasons, just thought I might learn from your experience.
Me bad. It was literally the second day with the camera and I was getting use to it. No "good reasons"; just inexperience. I figured it out half way down the freezing river. Here's two photos that sets the scene of that trip. If you can only carry one big lens then this and a TC-E is the way to go. Very versatile lens Thanks for the comments. Cheers.

1. D3; 200-400 lens; 1/1000s @ f/4; ISO 1600

2. D3; 200-400 lens; 1/1000s @ f/11; ISO 3200

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Lloyd

Me bad. It was literally the second day with the camera and I was getting use to it. No "good reasons"; just inexperience. I figured it out half way down the freezing river. Here's two photos that sets the scene of that trip. If you can only carry one big lens then this and a TC-E is the way to go. Very versatile lens Thanks for the comments. Cheers.
Impressive setting. Where was this? (And I agree completely about the lens. I love mine!)