The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 200/2 VR + D3X give me...

deepdiver

A very nice weekend :D :D
Nikon D3X + 200/2 helped me to get a new friend (part time model) :)
She was willing to go out with me on saturday morning.
I was so excited to take her pics :p
here are some pics to share

Andree :angel:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sadly I would pass on the friend and take the 200mm VR instead with a D3x. Guess i have been married a long time. LOL

deepdiver

Hahhahaha so funny! :D :D
I think the best choice would be take everything together :D
BTW, I forget to mention, with this combo I was able to get 2 models on the same day.!
Those pictures were taken in the morning,
now these picture below, were taken in the afternoon.
Introducing my friend "Yusni"

Andree

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Guy,
It must be time for a workshop in Indonesia, don't you think? But leave the recruiting of models to Andree. I'd be there :D

S

S.P.

Hahhahaha so funny! :D :D
I think the best choice would be take everything together :D
BTW, I forget to mention, with this combo I was able to get 2 models on the same day.!
So you run around in the streets with your big thing and the models come to you and beg "Please shoot me!"? :bugeyes:

Guy Mancuso

Anyone looking at a 200 Vr, Canon 200 1.8 or a Leica 180 F2 knows you are serious. Yes size matters :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

R

Ranger 9

I must live in the wrong country or have the wrong circle of friends or something.

The results, obviously, are stunning. However, I can't help but suspect that given the poster's camera talent (and model-recruiting talent) he would get stunning results no matter what photo equipment you handed him.

PS: Now wouldn't that make a great reality TV show? You could call it "Silk Purse" -- after the old saying that you can't make one out of a sow's ear -- and each week you'd challenge a group of experts to perform in their field of expertise using crummy unprofessional tools.

PPS: You couldn't call it "Polishing a _____" because they've already proved on Mythbusters that you can polish a _____.

Guy Mancuso

Well no doubt he is very talented but any long very fast lens in this category will give very nice results. The answer here is extremely sharp wide open with great DOF fall off along with compression. It is a nice look but you need to know how to use these effectively as well.

wayne_s

Andree, the first girl here you have shot before like in the 80Lux shot you posted here:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5584&page=6

I think I remember seeing the 2nd model from some shots you have taken in the past on another forum or somewhere.
Just seems that this every model I shoot is my new friend (wink wink, nudge nudge) Austin Powers style charade is a little much, no? Sorry, just had to say it.

If I could provide constructive feedback on your excellent shots, I would have these nitpicks:

1) First model 3rd shot there is a huge specular highlight to the right of her head which is distracting.
2) First model 4th shot, the xmas lights on the partial tree branch in the corner of the frame needs to go.
3) First model 5th shot, part of the highlights in her one hand got blown out
4) The second model seems to have alot of awkward hand and arm positions IMHO.
The first shot of the 2nd model is my favorite of the bunch, very nice.
Hope it was ok to give some C&C.

deepdiver

Andree, the first girl here you have shot before like in the 80Lux shot you posted here:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5584&page=6

I think I remember seeing the 2nd model from some shots you have taken in the past on another forum or somewhere.
Just seems that this every model I shoot is my new friend (wink wink, nudge nudge) Austin Powers style charade is a little much, no? Sorry, just had to say it.

If I could provide constructive feedback on your excellent shots, I would have these nitpicks:

1) First model 3rd shot there is a huge specular highlight to the right of her head which is distracting.
2) First model 4th shot, the xmas lights on the partial tree branch in the corner of the frame needs to go.
3) First model 5th shot, part of the highlights in her one hand got blown out
4) The second model seems to have alot of awkward hand and arm positions IMHO.
The first shot of the 2nd model is my favorite of the bunch, very nice.
Hope it was ok to give some C&C.
hi Wayne :D
Yes, I took some pics of her before (both of them)
Still considering both of them as my new friends hahhaaa:ROTFL:
Anyway,
I Agree with most of your comments,
At first I was going to remove that specular highlight near her head, but i did not do it. I want to know the reaction from other viewers... is it ok to leave it like that or better remove it.
Same thing to the xmas lights on the partial tree branch (this one, to be honest I was to lazy to PS it :LOL: )

About the second model hand and arm positions :D
once she heard the "click" from my DSLR, she just can't stop moving..!!!
she really have the talent to pose.
Amazing model IMHO

PeterA

My test of fast glass is always how it handles green foliage backgrounds...the first shots in morning show ugly rendition in background. The shots in afternoon on brown backgrounds are nice - but any fast wide open long lens will deliver similar.

All that said - the VR is on my shopping list, it doesnt do as good a job as my 180mm Rollie or my 300mm HC blad - but neither work on a Nikon with autofocus -:)

Convert the morning shots to B&W - and they will POP - sans green foliage distractions.

ryc

I had this combo at one time and thought it was great. However, without being the party pooper here, the images have great bokeh and lighting but look very soft. They just dont show sharpness like they should. Can you post crops of the faces from the various images?

Thanks