The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Finally we Nikonists get to play the leak game again

R

Ranger 9

Watching all the leakified action over on the Micro Four Thirds forum about the forthcoming Olympus E-P1 (which will either be the digital reincarnation of the Pen FT, the ultimate Leica M killer, the Micro Four Thirds camera of your secret dreams, or just another point-and-shoot with interchangeable lenses, depending on your reading of the tea leaves) I was feeling just a bit left out on the Nikon side.

But now this comes along: Nikon D300s image leak

Of course this type of image (alleged LCD screenshot showing new model number, SD card storage, etc.) would be absurdly easy to fake -- but on the other hand, if it really did "accidentally" appear on the Nikon USA website, that would be a plausible channel for a genuine image to appear. And the D300 would be a logical candidate for a refresh about now.

If it really is just a D300 with SD-card storage, I'm not going to get very excited. On the other hand, some of the other specu-features -- 720p video with no time limit, manual video controls, external mic input, longer continuous bursts, antigravity neckstrap lugs, flux capacitor -- would be worthwhile updates.

Of course Nikon could intro this tomorrow and spoil all the leakalicious fun, but enjoy it while you can...

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
I'd second that thought, as I seem to slowly be moving over to SD cards, thanks to a Acer Netbook that has 2 sd slots and I just ordered a D5000 to replace my XSi. Also for what it is worth, there are SD to CF adapters, bought one so I can use SD cards as needed in my D300. Don't know what if anything the adapter does for transfer speed, but so far I see no difference in the D300.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
... and i dummy thought they would name it D400.....
Well, perhaps the D400 is still in the pipeline. It's supposed to have a 15/16 megapixel sensor. That, plus an articulated screen and good high ISO performance, would tempt me to replace my D300.

To be honest, I was rather relieved when this D300s rumor started gathering momentum because, assuming there is a D300s, it offers no compelling features for anyone who already has a D300. That means I can devote my available funds to the kind of small camera + AF pancake lens combo that I'd really like but which Nikon doesn't provide. Happily there are plenty of choices:

* Panasonic G1
* Olympus E-P1
* Olympus E-620
* Pentax K-7
* Samsung NX (will they offer a pancake lens?)

R

Ranger 9

To be honest, I was rather relieved when this D300s rumor started gathering momentum because, assuming there is a D300s, it offers no compelling features for anyone who already has a D300.
I dunno... one of the rumours quoted in the link was no-time-limit 720p video recording with contrast-detect autofocus.

If they delivered on that, and if it worked well, it would give me a good reason to consider updating my D300 to a D300s, instead of updating my Panasonic G1 to a GH1 in order to satisfy my occasional video usages.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
I dunno... one of the rumours quoted in the link was no-time-limit 720p video recording with contrast-detect autofocus.

If they delivered on that, and if it worked well, it would give me a good reason to consider updating my D300 to a D300s, instead of updating my Panasonic G1 to a GH1 in order to satisfy my occasional video usages.
That's a good point. It would have been better had I written that the D300s "offers no compelling features for anyone who already has a D300 and doesn't have a strong desire/need to shoot video".

etrigan63

I actually saw the image in question on the Nikon USA site. It's real or a least a corporate level misdirection/screwup.

nostatic

That means I can devote my available funds to the kind of small camera + AF pancake lens combo that I'd really like but which Nikon doesn't provide. Happily there are plenty of choices:

* Panasonic G1
* Olympus E-P1
* Olympus E-620
* Pentax K-7
* Samsung NX (will they offer a pancake lens?)
The K7 will do 720p/1080i video as well (along with stereo mic input and other niceties) and has in-body SR. Plus the limited prime lenses are sweet.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
The K7 will do 720p/1080i video as well (along with stereo mic input and other niceties) and has in-body SR. Plus the limited prime lenses are sweet.
The K-7's feature set plus the Pentax Limited primes make an almost unbeatable combo except... the K-7 doesn't have an articulated LCD screen! After handling the E-620 and the G1, I can't make up my mind as to whether or not this is a deal breaker. Perhaps not, since the K-7's viewfinder will almost certainly be gorgeous.

On the other hand, the D5000's atrocious bottom-hinged screen design is definitely a deal-breaker.

nostatic

Since I already have all the FA ltd primes, the K-7 is a no-brainer for me. Having used an articulated screen on an old Canon p&s as well as the G1, I appreciate it sometimes but don't really find it to be a deal breaker to be without one. The beauty of digital is that I can just point and shoot, check, then point again. Dumb luck is my friend.

Frankly the screens that are only hinged seem like a waste to me. You either stay fixed or fully articulated. Going halfway is just an annoyance - adding a failure point without much benefit. But it depends on how you shoot.

R

Ranger 9

Frankly the screens that are only hinged seem like a waste to me. You either stay fixed or fully articulated. Going halfway is just an annoyance - adding a failure point without much benefit. But it depends on how you shoot.
I'll tell you what's bad about the fully-articulated screens, at least as seen on my Panasonic G1. If you simply want to use the camera at waist- or chest-level -- which is a pretty common rationale, for low angles and such -- you have to swing the finder out to the side and turn it, making your camera much wider and more awkward to hold.

I discovered that this past Friday, when I was supposed to shoot some photos of the "David Seeds spitter car" for a corporate pal. (This is a VW New Beetle fitted with a CO2 cannon, enabling it to spit packets of sunflower seeds out of an orifice on the back.)

Problem was that it was pouring rain, so I had to put my Panasonic G1 inside a plastic bag. When I wanted to get some low-angle shots of the spitting action, having to fold out the finder to the side was a real nuisance. A simple flip-down finder would have been better.

Maybe the next convenience feature can be a finder hinged like the "Magic Doorgate" that appeared on Ford station wagons back in the '70s (or so Grandpa tells me...) This either hinged down from the bottom, like a tailgate, or opened from one side, like a door.

Never mind, I suppose the next step will be to connect the LCD panel via BlueTooth so you can remove it entirely (and then lose it or drop it, requiring an expensive replacement...)