The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R lens to Nikon AF confirm adapter

monza

No, but the first thing that jumps out at me, is there is no way that adapter can be compatible, as stated, with all Leica lenses to all Nikon DSLRs.

Stick with the Leitax, which has multiple models to properly fit specific lenses.

JanRSmit

has anyone in the forum tried this adapter ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adapter-Mount-A...3.l1177&_trkparms=240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

With the rumor of no R10 in the future. I'm tempted to start this for my D700.
Thanks in advance.
Charles
Charles,

I use the Leitax bajonet to mount Leica lesnes on a Nikon D700 and it is the D700 that gives focus confirmation, not the bajonet. This add in eBay is simply not telling the truth, a lie. There is no electronics invloved, yet suggest so, and not all leica r lenses can be adapted purely because of physical limitations.
I just return from a well-known camera repair shop (Will van Manen: Leica Hasselblad, but also nikon, canon) in Holland, to have my summilux 50 cleaned and lubricated. He was amazed about the quality of the leitax bajonets, they are stainless steel instead of chrome-plated brass. Because of this they are very accurate in their dimensions, which is very important, and strong.

Check www.leitax.com

There you get real information, and good response to your questions.

Regards,

Jan R.

Leica 77

Hello,
In the Golden Age of the Nikon F5 (35mm film camera), I enjoyed using the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconver coupled with manual Nikkor lenses. With the use of this converter, the manual Nikkor lenses became auto-focus lenses.

I put the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconver to my trusted Nikon D2H DSLR and placed the Summicron R 50mm lens that has been converted to the Nikon F mount using the Leitax mount. Now, the Summicron R 50mm lens works just like a normal auto-focus lens on the Nikon D2H through the use of the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter. Of course, the focal length is now longer than 50mm. However, it works great as a short telephoto lens for portrait and nature photography with fast auto-focus capability.

Just to see if the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter would work on my Nikon D300 DSLR, I put the two together. However, this conbination did not work, probably due to the lack of certain electrical contacts. I suspect the newer Nikon DSLRs (such as D700, D3 and D3x) have lost their compatibility with the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter. At the same time, I suspect that the Nikon TC-16A AF Teleconverter would work on the older Nikon D2X and D2Xs DSLR cameras. Best regards, Leica 77 :)

Last edited:

vieri

Charles,

I use the Leitax bajonet to mount Leica lesnes on a Nikon D700 and it is the D700 that gives focus confirmation, not the bajonet. This add in eBay is simply not telling the truth, a lie. There is no electronics invloved, yet suggest so, and not all leica r lenses can be adapted purely because of physical limitations.
I just return from a well-known camera repair shop (Will van Manen: Leica Hasselblad, but also nikon, canon) in Holland, to have my summilux 50 cleaned and lubricated. He was amazed about the quality of the leitax bajonets, they are stainless steel instead of chrome-plated brass. Because of this they are very accurate in their dimensions, which is very important, and strong.

Check www.leitax.com

Regards,

Jan R.
Second that. I use the Leitax adapter (3 of them so far), and can only confirm what Jan said above both about the quality of the Leitax stuff and service, and about the implicit lies in the ad you linked to. Focus confirmation is function of the camera, not of the adaptor; more, as you can easily see, there is no chip on the adaptor showed on the ad, which makes it impossible to pass any sort of information to the camera. Last, R lenses use at least three different type bayonet and the one showed in the ad would not work on all 10-screws R bayonet (the 100 Macro is one of those).

Stick with the Leitax, you will not be sorry.

vieri

Charles,

Check www.leitax.com

Regards,

Jan R.
can you get confirm AF on your Leica R lenses wth Leitax ?
You definitely can if your camera do offer this feature. On my D3 focus confirmation works indeed very well :D

Leica 77

Leica M (not R) 90mm Summicron (Canada) + adapter + Nikon AF TC-16A + Nikon D2H. Aperture @ f2.8. Thank you for looking. Leica 77 :)

Leica 77

Chinese Doll from Guilin, China. Leica M (not R) 90mm Summicron (Canada) + adapter + Nikon AF TC-16A + Nikon D2H. Aperture @ f2.8. Thank you for looking. Leica 77 :)

JanRSmit

can you get confirm AF on your Leica R lenses wth Leitax ?
Focus confirmation works fine up to f5.6. FC is a fnction of the camera-body. The f5.6 limitation is also true for nikon lenses or any other brand lens you can mount on the nikon body.

Jan R.

Stuart Richardson

Morning Light. Leica R Elmarit 19mm with Leitax Adapter + Nikon D2H. Thank you for looking. Leica 77 :)
That 19mm shot is with the Teleconverter right? Because I did not think the 19mm worked on the D3 for example (I have both Leitax bayonets and the D3, but I was pretty sure the 19mm protruded too far to use...

EDIT: Nevermind, I see now that it works on APS, and actually works with a bit of shaving on full frame! I think I will go ahead and do that...my 19mm is a banger anyway, so a bit of shaving will not harm the resale...

Leica 77

That 19mm shot is with the Teleconverter right? Because I did not think the 19mm worked on the D3 for example (I have both Leitax bayonets and the D3, but I was pretty sure the 19mm protruded too far to use...

EDIT: Nevermind, I see now that it works on APS, and actually works with a bit of shaving on full frame! I think I will go ahead and do that...my 19mm is a banger anyway, so a bit of shaving will not harm the resale...
Hello Stuart,
I am glad to get your feedback. When I installed the Leitax bayonet mount on my Leica R Elmarit 19mm lens, I had to remove the thin black protective plastic rim around the rear element. With the removal, the protrusion was considerablly reduced and it works fine on my D300 and D2H. The Leica R Elmarit 19mm is one of my favorite lenses and it is a joy to be able to use it on my Nikon DSLRs. Best regards, Leica 77 :)

Stuart Richardson

Thanks -- glad you enjoyed the website and the photos. I think the problem here is that we are talking about different lenses! Mine is the recent version, and it has a different rear shroud that is non-removable...
In any case, thank you again for the compliments and the help!