The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Carl Zeiss ZF manual lenses for Nikon

picman

Hello all,

I was wondering whether the manual focus lenses of Carl Zeiss have full open metering or stop-down. I know they are manual focus of course but I could not determine from the info on the Carl Zeiss website what is the exact functionality wrt metering. Also, is there focus confirmation in the viewfinder, and if so, is it accurate, useful? Finally with what kind of programs can you use these lenses, manual, A, S, P?

Thanks for any info you can give me. Cheers, Bob

PS Thinking of getting a D700 with the 100mmf2 Carl Zeiss macro.

D

ddk

1- full open metering.

2- spot & center weighed metering.

3- focus confirm light works, accuracy depends on camera not lens, camera can be fine tuned if not accurate.

4- m and a only.

picman

1- full open metering.

2- spot & center weighed metering.

3- focus confirm light works, accuracy depends on camera not lens, camera can be fine tuned if not accurate.

4- m and a only.
Thank you very much David! Cheers, Bob.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
David, my understanding is that the 3D Color-Matrix II metering works as well with Non-CPU lenses (e.g. the ZF lenses) provided you have specified the Focal Length and Maximum Aperture of the lens in the SETUP MENU, as I claimed in my post # 20 in this thread (though of course I may have misunderstood something here ?): http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4328

And Bob, be aware that with Non-CPU lenses Spot metering is locked to the center focus point, which in some occasions is a bit of an annoying limitation in my opinion.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Found this little red flower in the flowerbed, a snapdragon I believe, here with the ZF 1.4/50 wide open

Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 1.4/50mm • 1/6400 sec. at f/1.4 ISO 200

With the ZF 2/100 Makro I found the plant had inhabitants (a crop)

Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 1.4/50mm • 1/6 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200

D

ddk

Beautiful image Steen, love that red! I sold my D3 a very long time ago and in favor of my Fuji S5s which is based on the D200 and I know that matrix metering doesn't work properly with none CPU lenses. As far as D700/D3 are concerned, depending on the lens, matrix metering might or not work properly. The lens information is to set the minimum working aperture and help the lighting system. Here's an excerpt from the D700 manual;

By specifying lens data (lens focal length and maximum aperture),
the user can gain access to a variety of CPU lens functions when
using a non-CPU lens. If the focal length of the lens is known:
•Automatic power zoom can be used with SB-900, SB-800, and
SB-600 Speedlights (available separately)
•Lens focal length is listed (with an asterisk) in the playback photo
info display
When the maximum aperture of the lens is known:
•The aperture value is displayed in the control panel and
viewfinder
•Flash level is adjusted for changes in aperture
•Aperture is listed (with an asterisk) in the playback photo info
display
Specifying both the focal length and maximum aperture of the
lens:
•Enables color matrix metering (note that it may be necessary to
use center-weighted or spot metering to achieve accurate results
with some lenses, including Reflex-Nikkor lenses)
•Improves the precision of center-weighted and spot metering
and i-TTL balanced fill-flash for digital SLR .

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The main thing that you miss with non-CPU lenses, at least with AF, is the distance information that helps with the flash and more advanced matrix metering modes.

episa

I confirm what Bondo said when using non-CPU lenses on Nikon D700 or D300. When programming the Zeiss 100mm ZF f/2.0 in the non-CPU lens menu of the camera, the camera understands the focal lenght, aperture and speed being used. Using matrix metering mode, we are almost home like with any normal Nikon AF lens. It cannot transfer however the distance information and it can sometimes decrease the capability of the camera to determine the ultimate exposure.
This distance is used for flash photography but also to help the camera decide the best exposure among a library of thousands sample images in the memory of the camera. Since I use the Zeiss quality lens for outdoors, I am facing situations at times where my camera will underexpose or overexpose of up to 1.3 EV (quite a variatiion!). I recently experimented using Zeiss ZF 10mm in Macro photography using the Nikon MF extension tube. The D information is not useful in this sort of Macro anyway since the key to getting tack sharp pictures in Macro mode is to use the LiveView function.

One more complication with Macro: I used Nikon PN11 52.5mm extension tube between the D700 and the Zeiss 100mm ZF; this setup theoretically increases the odds for error; I must say however that practically it is not at all complex to use. In Live view mode, I can instantly see the correct exposure or manually correct This did not turn out to be a problem at all as shown in the two samples below :

deepdiver

nothing spectacular here
Just a quick close-up shot from D3X + Zeiss 21/2.8 @F2.8
I wanna see the bokeh :)

Andree

Leica 77

nothing spectacular here
Just a quick close-up shot from D3X + Zeiss 21/2.8 @F2.8
I wanna see the bokeh :)

Andree
Hello Andree,

What a beautiful image. The bokeh is wonderful -- seems to correspond with the bokeh produced by other Zeiss lenses. Best regards, Leica 77 :)

O

Oxide Blu

Don't know, but have wondered if setting the lens length in the camera when using Zeiss lenses has a benefit for Exif data used to correct distortion in post processing, e.g. does Capture NX read that data and allow for appropriate distortion adjustment? -- or is there too much of a variation in distortion from manfr to manfr of the same focal length lenses?

etrigan63

I am hoping that CV announces an SL II lens in the area of a fast 85mm. All of my SL II lenses work great and I look forward to any others that Mr. Kobayashi sees fit to unleash upon us.

jlancasterd

Can this fine tuning be done by the photographer, or does the camera need to go back to Nikon, or a 3rd party technician?

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Can this fine tuning be done by the photographer, or does the camera need to go back to Nikon, or a 3rd party technician?
Focus fine tuning can only be done with autofocus lenses -- the item in the Setup menu is "AF fine tune". I've found that focusing the ZF lens I own (the 28/2) is much easier on the D700 than the D300. Not surprisingly, I don't have nearly as much difficulty with the CV 40/2 and 58/1.4 on the D300.

robmac

+1 Love(d) my SLIIS and SL1s APOs. Just wish the former were in a longer FL as well - and the latter a stop or 2 faster.

I am hoping that CV announces an SL II lens in the area of a fast 85mm. All of my SL II lenses work great and I look forward to any others that Mr. Kobayashi sees fit to unleash upon us.

ftbt

Well ... I got a new ZF 100/2 Macro Planar today and stuck it on the D700. I opened our front door and this is literally this first pic with the new lens. (Sorry the flowers don't look better.) I think this is going to be a great addition to my lens collection. (I will give it a try tomorrow on the 5DMkII).

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Congrats ft, you're gonna love that lens :thumbup:
Nice rendering, very 3D, (just a pity the exif informations seem to be lost).
Looking forward to see more pictures with your ZF 2/100. Enjoy it :)

robmac

Apparently at least the pro-level Nikons can have their manual focus accuracy fine-tuned by service centers. Could be shimming focus screen a la Canon 5D/II users and/or playing with calibration of FC system, but Marc (fotograz) reported sending in a D3 (IIRC) with specific instructions to get the MF system nailed and it apparently came back performing like a champ.

I can't recall
Focus fine tuning can only be done with autofocus lenses -- the item in the Setup menu is "AF fine tune". I've found that focusing the ZF lens I own (the 28/2) is much easier on the D700 than the D300. Not surprisingly, I don't have nearly as much difficulty with the CV 40/2 and 58/1.4 on the D300.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Apparently at least the pro-level Nikons can have their manual focus accuracy fine-tuned by service centers. Could be shimming focus screen a la Canon 5D/II users and/or playing with calibration of FC system, but Marc (fotograz) reported sending in a D3 (IIRC) with specific instructions to get the MF system nailed and it apparently came back performing like a champ.

I can't recall
I stand corrected! Hopefully Marc will be able to elaborate -- although I'm pessimistic enough to guess that this ability to fine-tune MF won't extend to D700/D300 bodies.