The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon AF settings?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Must be something I just don t get about these settings. All winter I used my D3/D700 with zeiss and converted Leica R lenses..all manual focus with no issues.

Now I am trying to master the Nikon CLS(flash) system so I need to use the Nikon AF zooms. I set the lens up for using the AF-ON buttons only. Most of the other settings are exactly like a sports shooter would use. The lens focuses pretty accurately on a stationary object ..but thats it..if I move or the subject moves it doesn t track with the movement?

I understand that you can use the AF-On to pick a spot and then by letting up recompose..the lens stays focused on the original spot. OK thats what you would want. But now lets say you have a bride coming down the aisle...focus with AF-oN and keep the button down...shouldn t the camera follow the focus point. I understand if you miss the focus point Ok you missed . But I thought the focusing system followed the object as long as you hold down the af-on button.

What am I missing ? Back to the manual? Lens= M/A;Body=S on side and top ..Back= matrix area. Menu a2=focus, a3=21,a4=normal,a5=af-on only,a6=continuous,a7=wrap,a8=51points,a9=af-on,a10=af-on.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
When in doubt read the manual. Continuous focus only works in continuous mode (C on the body and C "L" on the top. ) :(