The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens Test, Nikkor 135mm f/1.8 AIS

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nice work Jorgen. The lens looks like a great find. I have had a similar reaction to my new 135mm f/2 DC -- the focal length just makes for a fantastic portrait lens. Though I do notice that you mostly use APS sensors, while I use a full frame. I tend to prefer shorter lengths, but this seems to work really well for me. And you were using an 85 before, which was more like a 135 on film...hmmm.
That's correct, I only use DX format cameras, where the 85mm gets the FOV of a 130mm and the 105mm that of a 160mm. I find both very usable, the 85 for indoor and "normal" portraiture, and the longer lens for situations like these, where it's not possible to get close enough to the subject.

Still, I haven't ruled out the 135, but another alternative may be the Sigma 150mm macro, which in many ways is three lenses in one; macro, tele and long portrait lens. For now, I'm rather happy with having one new lens :)

gilgameshist

My fingers are faster than my brain. The lens is obviously not a 135mm. Nikon never made a 135mm f/1.8, it's the 105mm f/1.8. Too late to edit the headline etc. Sorry about the confusion :(

Here are at least the photos with the correct names (I think):
Beautiful portrait of a lovely model. Last one is quite an informative photograph.
Very nice Jorgen! :thumbup:

MG

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's one from today. Ambient light under a tree in cloudy weather. Very impressed with colour and contrast. This is nearly wide open.

S5 with Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 @ f/2.0

Lars

Still, I haven't ruled out the 135, but another alternative may be the Sigma 150mm macro, which in many ways is three lenses in one; macro, tele and long portrait lens. For now, I'm rather happy with having one new lens :)
I was never that happy with 135 on DX format - with the D2X I wish I had a 105 DC instead of 135 DC. On FX the 135 is great.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Looks good! All S5? I'm confused by the mention of 6 and 12 MP.
All S5, Lars, but the camera can produce 12MP jpegs that sometimes look good and sometimes don't. The big files are fine for checking focus and sharpness, but I usually use the RAW files for post processing.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I was never that happy with 135 on DX format - with the D2X I wish I had a 105 DC instead of 135 DC. On FX the 135 is great.
Interesting viewpoint. At the moment, I'm so very happy with the 105mm that the need for other telephoto lenses has diminished for a while.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jorgen, These shots just blow me away! I especially like the orchid girl and your Dad??? ...very handsome photo.

Lars, Google the S5 for a full explanation. It has a Fuji SuperCCD in a Nikon D200 body. The 12 MP are made up of 6MP S pixels that capture normal dynamic range and 6MP R pixels that capture expanded dynamic range. The Fuji engine combines them. This is an oversimplification, but in essence it is a 6MP camera. The jpeg engine interpolates into 12 MP. I always shoot mine in RAW. Portraits from the S5 are gorgeous, as Jorgen has shown.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, These shots just blow me away! I especially like the orchid girl and your Dad??? ...very handsome photo.

Lars, Google the S5 for a full explanation. It has a Fuji SuperCCD in a Nikon D200 body. The 12 MP are made up of 6MP S pixels that capture normal dynamic range and 6MP R pixels that capture expanded dynamic range. The Fuji engine combines them. This is an oversimplification, but in essence it is a 6MP camera. The jpeg engine interpolates into 12 MP. I always shoot mine in RAW. Portraits from the S5 are gorgeous, as Jorgen has shown.
Thank you Cindy. No, not exactly my dad, and he's a few years younger than me, so I'd better not show him this :LOL:

I'm posting further samples with the lens on the "Funny" thread.... I think.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thank you Cindy. No, not exactly my dad, and he's a few years younger than me, so I'd better not show him this :LOL:

I'm posting further samples with the lens on the "Funny" thread.... I think.
:eek: I apologize to the handsome man. You said you were going to visit your Dad...so I made a bad assumption. Wonderful portrait!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
:eek: I apologize to the handsome man. You said you were going to visit your Dad...so I made a bad assumption. Wonderful portrait!
Thank you! No problem. I am visiting my father every week. He's only 150km away, but it's been a long time since I made a portrait of him.

D

dnjs6

i have just purchased the 105mm f1.8 ai-s on ebay for around 500$

dang i love the brokeh so far..