The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Roadmap. Allegedly

DavidL

Copied this from Nikon rumours site for info but may be not reliable info.

It appears Nikons 2009-10 schedule for release of cameras and lenses has been leaked. At least that is the claim. But it can of course just as well be fantasies or a wish list created by someone having to much time to spend!

A short summary:

August 4 introduction: (Apparently the end of July presentation is for compact cameras.)

* Nikon D3000
* Nikon D300s with Full-HD movie 24 fps, improved AF, self timer + mirror-up, cf + sd-slot
* AF-S DX 17-65/3.2-4 G VR with 72(!) mm filter

October 15 presentation:

* Nikon D700X with 24.5 MP, Full-HD movie 24 fps, improved AF and self timer + mirror-up
* AF-S Nikkor 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR (The FX-dream-walk-around-lens?)
* AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II (What everybody waited for! 82 mm filter, 1530 g)
* AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G
* AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G (No VR?)

Q1/2010:

* AF-S Nikkor 14-28mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
* AF-S Nikkor 120-450mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR II (Replacement for 80-400? 82 mm, 1480 g)

Q2/2010:

* Nikon D4 with 15.7 MP, improved 1 EV, Full HD-movie 30fps
* Nikon D400 with 13.8 MP, improved 1 EV, Full HD-movie 24fps

Q3/2010:

* AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4G VR (On the waiting list for many!)
* AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/5.6G VR (Have been missing a long time!)
* AF-S Nikkor 70-240mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (The missing medium size telezoom!)
* AF-S Nikkor 105mm f/2G DC (A small surprise. No VR?)
* AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/4G VR
* AF-S DX Nikkor 60-95mm f/2G VR (The DX dream-telezoom!)
* AF-S DX Nikkor 17-60mm f/2.8G VR (Replacing 17-55 with addition of VR)
* Nikon Coolpix P1DX with DX 12.3 MP stabilised sensor, 28-85/3.5-5.6 zoom (comparable to FX, actually 18-56), 2.9 inch 920k-display, movable upwards for macro.

Q4/2010:

* Nikon D4X with 30.2 MP with 1 EV improved sensitivity

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
As Thom Hogan puts it for the moment:

"Spending a week actively shooting with some of Nikon's best products has reinforced something I've felt since the D700 came out: we're in a sweet spot with DSLRs right now. If we get a D300s and D700x later this year as I expect, I'm not sure what I'd ask for in terms of pixels and basic camera choices in future generations: the choice of 12 or 24mp in small or large bodies coupled with the current metering and AF system is, well, pretty darned close to nirvana. I've been shooting sports (swimming, wrestling, judo, bicycling, and a few other sports in addition to what you've seen on the site recently), and most of my complaints about my Nikon gear would be small things, essentially nits."

oo0oo​

I only wish Nikon and Leica would partner, Nikon making the cameras they are so good at and Leica making the optics they are so good at.
Imagine a competitive Nikon R DSLR with Leica R autofocus optics. I know it's not likely to ever happen :(

Any votes for me being put in charge ? :toocool:

Leica 77

Hello bondo and otumay,
You can count on my vote as well! What impressed me about bondo's excellent mini essay includes the following points:

"I'm not sure what I'd ask for in terms of pixels and basic camera choices in future generations: the choice of 12 or 24mp in small or large bodies coupled with the current metering and AF system is, well, pretty darned close to nirvana."

"I only wish Nikon and Leica would partner, Nikon making the cameras they are so good at and Leica making the optics they are so good at.
Imagine a competitive Nikon R DSLR with Leica R autofocus optics. I know it's not likely to ever happen."

At this time of "transition" to what may happen in the future (see above 2nd quote by bondo), I am happy using Leica R lenses with Leitax mount adapter on Nikon digital SLRs. However, I would be happier if Leica R autofocus lenses with the Nikon F mount become a reality some day in our life time. All the best, Leica 77 :)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Osman and '77 - I knew I could count on you !
Feels like we are already a crowd :)

OK, any votes against ?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Well, in that case - hey, David, could you please schedule a merger at ... let's say Q1/2011.
Man, this takes patience :rolleyes:

beamon

Well, in that case - hey, David, could you please schedule a merger at ... let's say Q1/2011.
Man, this takes patience :rolleyes:
Nah! You are showing your European lineage. In the US we would be told that this is too important an issue to dawdle over. Just do it 1Q 2010, and no, the agreement isn't ready yet for you to read. Just do it! :p

Can't you just see management at both Nikon and Leica being told that? :ROTFL:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Actually I think it is too important an issue to dawdle over. I might do it the american way then. Thanks Roger :thumbup:
Roger, how about you telling them, you have the right approach and you know exactly how to put it. I'll make you Personnel Manager ?
And while you're at it, couldn't you try to bribe Jono by making him Director of Colours or sumthin ... it doesn't look good with 25 % against.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
In the meantime I would personally be interested in three of the lenses from Davids Nikon Roadmap Rumour:

* AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G
* AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G (No VR?)
* AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4G VR (On the waiting list for many!)

Especially the 1.4/85 (VR?) and the 4/300 VR. I've been waiting for those two for years. I hope it's more than just a rumour.

jonoslack

Actually I think it is too important an issue to dawdle over. I might do it the american way then. Thanks Roger :thumbup:
Roger, how about you telling them, you have the right approach and you know exactly how to put it. I'll make you Personnel Manager ?
And while you're at it, couldn't you try to bribe Jono by making him Director of Colours or sumthin ... it doesn't look good with 25 % against.
Well, you're heading in the right direction . . . at least you can spell colour right :ROTFL:

beamon

Oh boy! Personnel Director is my cup of tea! Of course, at my age, I'd only be interested in hiring on nubile, sweet young things in their twenties, but I doubt that I'll meet with much resistance from the chauvinistic among us. OK, Terry, I'm on guard. ;)

Jono, however, will be a difficult case. I'm willing to look in the boot of my vehicle to find the spanner that I need to fix the lorry, but I draw the line at color!