The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
David,
Your winter shots are unique. Very interesting stuff that captures my imagination.

Corlan,
Excellent graveyard photos. You've really grabbed the atmosphere of the place.

Lloyd

I went to a Civil War re-enactment this weekend.

If you have any interest, there is a slideshow here: http://cindyflood.zenfolio.com/p283321884/slideshow
Photos were taken with Fuji S5, Panasonic G1 and GF1
Terrific stuff, Cindy! And the treatment is perfect.

I really enjoyed the slideshow... some great shots there. Very authentic re-enactment. The only thing I saw that showed anything that would have made me think you didn't dig these out of some archive was the plastic funnel one soldier was using to load a weapon. Seriously. Could have been a movie set. Nice.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
There is an electric wire running across one and one of the Union "brass" is wearing sun glasses.:ROTFL: It was amazing what these re-enactors do. They buy their own horses, uniforms, guns...one man showed me his canon (and I'm not talking camera). This is a serious hobby. They come with pup tents and cook over wood. It looks like a blast. Thanks for looking, Lloyd.

Lloyd

I noticed the sunglasses, but wasn't sure if they were sunglasses or tinted glasses, which were not unknown in that era. The shape and the wire frames were correct. Again, great stuff. They are committed, that for sure. I'd love to shoot something like that some time... drag out the wet plates, I guess, eh?

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Lloyd, Jorgen, Steve, for the comments.

Powerful series. This last shot in particular.
Did not really notice until you quoted it, but -on a totally different theme- there's some congruence here with your tree shot that many of us liked a lot :)

The picture with the Jewish grave marker tells a lot of history.

Steve
Steve- i share your comment, incidentally i've titled this picture "History". Among other things, one keeps wondering what kind of thoughts would run through the minds of the WWII generation of German soldiers seeing these as they passed by those places...

D

ddk

Thanks Jorgen.

Corian, talk about eerie, and somber...

Cindy, interesting battle scenes, I wonder, considering the current situation if some of these enactments will start to take artistic license and change history by letting the South win?

Alex, you live in quite a city, in some ways like a larger, more interesting Geneva and your waterscapes are like beautiful postcards.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks Jorgen.

...snip
Cindy, interesting battle scenes, I wonder, considering the current situation if some of these enactments will start to take artistic license and change history by letting the South win?
...snip...
David, This re-enactment was of the battle of 1861 (near the start of the war) and the south actually did win the first couple of battles. I was able to attend 3 out of the 4 re-enactlment battles over the weekend. They are portrayed as skirmishes (which is what actually happened. There were many mini-battles going on at one time.) Of the three battles that I saw, the Union won one and the Confederates won two.
Did you notice Matthew Brady carrying his camera onto the field before the battle? ...and the gentleman on the rock with paper and pencil was an artist capturing the scene.

D

ddk

David, This re-enactment was of the battle of 1861 (near the start of the war) and the south actually did win the first couple of battles. I was able to attend 3 out of the 4 re-enactlment battles over the weekend. They are portrayed as skirmishes (which is what actually happened. There were many mini-battles going on at one time.) Of the three battles that I saw, the Union won one and the Confederates won two.
Did you notice Matthew Brady carrying his camera onto the field before the battle? ...and the gentleman on the rock with paper and pencil was an artist capturing the scene.
I saw the images but I didn't put 2+2 together :confused:, specially the artist, I thought that it was some soldier writing a letter home...

AlexLF

Thank you all for your comments!

Corlan, D3x is really The Camera. I think the only way further is to go with H4D60 :) Seriously, I'd like to push the quality with Zeiss glass but that's by the end of the year ;)

As to cities we chose :) I wish I could go somewhere out of Moscow but it's hopefully next year when my daughter is at least 1 year old.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thank you all for your comments!

Corlan, D3x is really The Camera. I think the only way further is to go with H4D60 :) Seriously, I'd like to push the quality with Zeiss glass but that's by the end of the year ;)

As to cities we chose :) I wish I could go somewhere out of Moscow but it's hopefully next year when my daughter is at least 1 year old.
Beautiful daughter, from what we've seen here :)

Alex, did you own a D700 or D3 ?
If so, could you notice a difference in DR performance ?

I wanted to get a S5 mainly for this reason but it seems that there's a stupid speculation currently going on on this body... as good as it is, i refuse to pay 30% to 50% more than the last retail pricing for a used body without any warranty.

And no news from the D700x for higher pixel count.
(except now some says it'll be as the D300s -> same sensor just video, well)

So...

Last edited: