The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

D

ddk

I really like this series and love the Playground Line-up Jorgen, you managed to bring light into darkness.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you for your kind words, all of you. Here's one from the start of the journey, the train to Aranya Pratet on the Thai side of the border being 40 minutes late, as usual :)

S5 with 70-300 ED @ 270mm and f/8.0

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
I'm kind of working on it, but making a living and making a book don't combine easily :(

This morning, I wandered around in Poipet, Cambodia around daybreak, waiting for the border to Thailand to open. Poipet must be one of the muddiest, dustiest as well as unhealthiest places on earth, but if I found someone there who makes decent food, I could stay forever to take photos.

This photo also illustrates the strengths of the Fuji. It's a straight conversion from RAW, with no other adjustments than a quarter of a stop exposure (up), some highlight recovery and sharpening for web.

Edit: Even Fuji can be improved, so I increased the brightness slightly as well (+15 in PS), which is the version currently visible.

S5 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.0, 1/18s and ISO 800

Truly, a great series Jorgen.

As usual in your compositions there's a strong sense of humanity. And reflecting the people abitliy to meet less-than-ideal living conditions with a positive, often even cheerful attitude -especially compared to most of their western counterparts.

The motorcycle shot (superb) posted in "Nikon Street" fits right into this theme, too.

Well, it conveys hope. And that's nice.

The one photo quoted above looks different from the rest, would fit in with your former night market pictures. Intertesting to see how things quite consistently look less miserable in dim light.
(and 1/18s? wow...)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The one photo quoted above looks different from the rest, would fit in with your former night market pictures. Intertesting to see how things quite consistently look less miserable in dim light.
(and 1/18s? wow...)
Thank you, Corlan. This one was taken at the old market in Poipet, and it was almost night. It's always fascinating to be there before they open and see how it all develops, from a group of people sleeping on floor and benches to a little community with hundreds of people. The old market in Poipet is particularly interesting, since it's so basic, still rather large. It has a terrible reputation for hygiene though, and the smell is rather... uninviting.

routlaw

Truly, a great series Jorgen.

As usual in your compositions there's a strong sense of humanity. And reflecting the people abitliy to meet less-than-ideal living conditions with a positive, often even cheerful attitude -especially compared to most of their western counterparts.
Agreed some awesome images in this set Jorgen, as usual.

Good point Corlan. I have come to believe seldom does money even enter into the equation of an individuals happiness or content, and all too often the more one has the more miserable they appear. Go figure.

Rob

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Now for a look into the past, and some boring undertones in this page graced with vivid and enchanting colors.

This is a dungeon tower, last artifacts left from a 14th c. castle. The property was owned by an american family for the better part of the 20th century, then donated to the town administration along with a trust fund to ensure further renovation. Works are en route...

Meet the dungeon:

(all from CZ 21mm / f/2.8 - f/5.6)

Last edited:

Lloyd

Now for a look into the past, and some boring undertones in this page graced with vivid and enchanting colors.

This is a dungeon tower, last artifacts left from a 14th c. castle. The property was owned by an american family for the better part of the 20th century, then donated to the town administration along with a trust fund to ensure further renovation. Works are en route...

Meet the dungeon:

(all from CZ 21mm / f/2.8 - f/5.6)
Impressive place, nicely photographed. I really light the light in those interior shots. The fifth image in the first group really grabbed me. Good stuff.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Lloyd, Jorgen.
Hallway is indeed my favorite -along with the stairs and the fireplace for the light.

I'll do better with the tripod and notes, these are test shots. Unfortunately weather has dramatically change the last couple of days. Will be a tough one. Shoot.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nice series Corlan !

copper-color

Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 1.4/85mm • 1/3200 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Lloyd

Very first shot with my new D3. My far too patient wife, literally home 5 minutes from a 12+ hour work day.

85/1.4 @ 1.8, ISO 2000:

Lloyd

A few more out of the first dozen shots with the new D3.

200-400/f4 @400, wide open, ISO 2500:

70-200/2.8 wide open, ISO 200:

70-200/2.8 @ 6.7, ISO 200: