The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Corlan, those buildings are the stuff of fairy tales. A question... would there have been glass in the window openings during the building's day?

Tim

Hi Tim,
all the front windows would feature stained glass back then, including the large rosace in the center -i'd say around 30 ft diameter, just an rough estimation from memory. Impressive, anyway.
Not certain for this specific one (it was late, on the road -i intend to check next time) but most of the damage usually occured with WWI & WWII bombardments and/or intentional destruction locally from germans just before leaving the area. Some harm was also perpetrated (on a smaller scale, glass, statues mostly) at the time of french revolution. Otherwise like hundreds of comparable buildings they would still be around in a pretty decent shape.
Fortunately, they also make great looking ruins :)

Lloyd

I was just trying Photoshop CS4 to re-retouch some photos shot three years ago, and came across these two shots from the Galapagos Islands. Nikon D2x with Nikkor 17-55/2.8 (the blue-footed booby), Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VR (the flamingo).
Hope you enjoy them,
Osman
Very nice images Otumay! And that shot of the blue-footed booby is certainly a "decisive moment". ;)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I took a 15 minute walk around the property this morning and snapped these small squares of summertime. Nothing special, just fragments of things I forget about in the midst of long winters.

Tim

Leica 77

I took a 15 minute walk around the property this morning and snapped these small squares of summertime. Nothing special, just fragments of things I forget about in the midst of long winters.

Tim
Hello TRSmith,
Beautiful close-up shots! The color is really rich and vibrant. Best wishes, Leica 77 :)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Leica77. I've been experimenting with a certain method of post-processing. Does it look natural to you or do you find it obvious?

Thanks,
Tim

Leica 77

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon. Historic Building in Singapore. AF Nikkor 18mm. Thank you for looking. Leica 77 :)

Leica 77

Thanks Leica77. I've been experimenting with a certain method of post-processing. Does it look natural to you or do you find it obvious?

Thanks,
Tim
Hello TRSmith,

Your images are simply gorgeous! They look so natural to me. Cheers! Leica 77 :)

Lloyd

Tim
I agree with L77... and the processing looks very natural. Nice work.

Leica 77

Very nice. And I'm glad they preserved it there in the midst of all that glass and steel.
Hello Lloyd and TRSmith,

Many thanks for your positive comments. I am pleased to know that my humble attempts to blend the old (B&W) and the new (color) are appreciated by both of you. The well preserved old English-style structures in Singapore are some of their proud cultural treasures and legacies from the past. All the best, Leica 77 :)

routlaw

Tim
Nice work on the macro images Tim. Looks like you might have vignetted the corners just a tad which works well here.

Rob

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Tim- nice, colorful summer pictures :toocool:... and how kind of you to volunteer a tutorial for the frog shot PP :)

(the result in this series look natural, PP wise beside the aforementionned possible slight vignetting, maybe you've artificially increase the selective focus a little via respective blur/sharpen + saturation ?)

Leica77- interesting downtown contrast. Your composition provides a strong feel of the overwhelming physical nature of the modern architecture over the older building -but still well preserved. :thumbup:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks everyone! I'm pleased that you don't find the effect over the top. And yep, I have added a vignette on several. But I did it on a separate layer with Silver Efex Pro and then made the blend mode of the B&W layer "Luminosity" and adjusted the slider to where it felt good. The Silver Efex has a nice set of vignetting and edge darkening tools, plus, by varying the type of black and white conversion, you can (seemingly) add or subtract to shadows and highlights. It seems to add a little depth to the color. At least so far. I've only just started to play with it and might get tired of it, but for now, it's fun.

APY_JR

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon. Nikon D300 + 18-200 mm VR Lens. Island Dancers of the South Seas. Thank you for looking. Leica 77 :)

Hi Leica 77!

Man... I really like this shot:) Maybe 'cause my girls have a little "islander" in them... I dunno... but it's a very moving image for me!:)

Thanks for the share!

Albert

APY_JR

Wow you guys ( and gals)

Great stuff from all of you recently.... I just can't keep up with the comments.

Wonderful inspiration... makes me happy to be a photog:)

THANK YOU AND DON'T STOP!

Albert

Leica 77

Hi Leica 77!

Man... I really like this shot:) Maybe 'cause my girls have a little "islander" in them... I dunno... but it's a very moving image for me!:)

Thanks for the share!

Albert
Hello Albert,

Many thanks for your kind comments. I am happy to know that you like the image of island girls from Polynesia. Best wishes, Leica 77 :)