The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Leica 77

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon. Grand Hotel, Oslo, Norway. Adobe Photoshop. I am sure that Professor Jorgen can tell us all about the significant history associated with this major landmark. Thank you for looking. Leica 77 :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon. Grand Hotel, Oslo, Norway. Adobe Photoshop. I am sure that Professor Jorgen can tell us all about the significant history associated with this major landmark. Thank you for looking. Leica 77 :)

nah... nothing much to tell really. It's the Grand Hotel. Henrik Ibsen used to walk down the street (Karl Johans gate, named after one of the Swedish kings during the union between Sweden and Norway that lasted from 1814 until 1905) every day to drink coffee at Grand Café on the ground floor, left corner. The café still exists, more or less unchanged from the days of Ibsen.

The square in front of the building is Eidsvolds Plass, named after the little town north of Oslo where the constitution was written. Very appropriately, 10 meters to the right of the photographer is the Norwegian Parliament, built during the union with Sweden. There's a large painting in the main assembly hall, depicting the men at Eidsvold, writing that constitution.

All of this is celebrated every year on 17 May, the climax being the children's parade, that goes down Karl Johan, between Grand Hotel and the Parliament towards the left in this photo, ending at the Royal Castle, around a kilometer further down the street.

L77, I think we can say that you've found a rather central spot to take that photo :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I felt like doing something different yesterday, so I bought a ton of cheese, hauled out the micro lens, and with Kid Creole at full blast, this is what I got:

D80 with Micro Nikkor 105mm AF D @ f/22

... and guess who was allowed to eat all that stuff afterward :D

Leica 77

I felt like doing something different yesterday, so I bought a ton of cheese, hauled out the micro lens, and with Kid Creole at full blast, this is what I got:

Hello "Professor" Jorgen,

It's a great yummy yummy cheesy macro image! Many thanks also for the great history lesson regarding the Grand Hotel. Just imagine that Ibsen used to have a sip of coffee every day at the Grand Cafe at the corner of the Grand Hotel. I believe Nobel Peace Prize winners enjoy the Nobel Dinner at the Grand Hotel in Oslo every year. All the best, Leica 77 :)

Leica 77

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon. AF Nikkor 18mm. Norsk Folkemuseum, Oslo, Norway. Thank you for looking. Leica 77 :)

Lloyd

Yum!!

Lloyd

Another beauty... and great processing.

Leica 77

Love the way the selective color makes the central subject jump. Nicely done.
Hello Lloyd,
Many thanks for your positive comments. I am pleased to know that you like the images I have posted. It is an irony that I seem to be, in some ways, going back to the period of transition from the golden age of monochrome to the modern age of technicolor. Back in those days, the technique for selective coloring involved using water-color like coloring kits. The blending of color with B/W, as you have rightly pointed out, can make the central subject "jump". It also enables us to embrace the best of the two worlds - color and B/W - for example, to accentuate the depth of time. You and others like Jorgen, TRSmith, bondo, Corlan F., Alex, Michiel, Rafael, viablex1, Cindy Flood, and fultonics are sources of great inspiration. All the best, Leica 77 :)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Leica77- i find this treatment particularily effective for the Folkemuseum building and the Old House interior shots. I like very much the first one.

Jorgen- you captured the dynamic soul of this backroom... the photo says a lot and there's a lot of details to look at. Great.

Leica 77

Leica77- i find this treatment particularily effective for the Folkemuseum building and the Old House interior shots. I like very much the first one.

Jorgen- you captured the dynamic soul of this backroom... the photo says a lot and there's a lot of details to look at. Great.
Hello Corlan F.,
Many thanks for your kind comments. Your positive feedback is very much appreciated. Best regards, Leica 77 :)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Here are a few from today's outing to the Maine Maritime Museum. We have guests and wanted to show them something of the State's heritage. I'm afraid I sometimes get caught up in the details.