The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Leica 77

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon. Sunday Market, Manila. Nikon D300 + AF Nikkor 18-200mm VR. Thank you for looking. Leica 77 :)

Leica 77

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon. Many thanks for your kind comments, Jorgen. Here is an image from a Beauty Salon in Manila. Nikon D300 + AF Nikkor 18-200mm VR. Thanks for looking. Leica 77 :)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
This hair saloon shot's great, a lot of action and a lot to look at.

Considering your usual "old vs. new" theme, i kinda see here the color treatment as a time warp intention. After all, any reflected image is from the past... even micro-seconds.

What is really striking here in this regard is how the B&W ("present") part is ful of action when the colored part in the mirror feels like a still shot.

:thumbs:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Hello Corlan F.,
Many thanks for your kind feedback. Your images are wonderfully composed. The red chair is quite inviting! The stone blocks (limestone, perhaps) in the background give a certain sense of security. Best regards, Leica 77 :)
Thanks a lot :)
Yes it's a variety of limestone.

By the way there's a whole story about the place...
Here's what's behind the wall:

This 19th century castle was built on a whim of a construction zilionnaire who was an avid collector and had estate properties over several countries so he wanted to gather his art collections in one place.

So the castle was specifically designed as some kind of residential museum... but infortunately still unfinished when the owner passed away. The approx. 70*50yds structure then lost its roofs while WWI, but othrerwise stayed pretty much in today's conditions.

Being abandoned for so long, a couple of years ago the local authorities decided not to restore it, but... to sell it for stones (!!) then -what a surprise- to sell the grounds in lots to promoters for a housing project.

Thankfully some associations keep fighting the project...

Leica 77

Thanks a lot :)
Yes it's a variety of limestone.

By the way there's a whole story about the place...
Here's what's behind the wall:

This 19th century castle was built on a whim of a construction zilionnaire who was an avid collector and had estate properties over several countries so he wanted to gather his art collections in one place.

So the castle was specifically designed as some kind of residential museum... but infortunately still unfinished when the owner passed away. The approx. 70*50yds structure then lost its roofs while WWI, but othrerwise stayed pretty much in today's conditions.

Being abandoned for so long, a couple of years ago the local authorities decided not to restore it, but... to sell it for stones (!!) then -what a surprise- to sell the grounds in lots to promoters for a housing project.

Thankfully some associations keep fighting the project...
Hello Corlan F.,
It is a fascinating story behind the stone wall. I am glad that you shared with us the history of the unfinished castle. All the best, Leica 77 :)

Leica 77

Considering your usual "old vs. new" theme, i kinda see here the color treatment as a time warp intention. After all, any reflected image is from the past... even micro-seconds.

What is really striking here in this regard is how the B&W ("present") part is ful of action when the colored part in the mirror feels like a still shot.

:thumbs:
Hello Corlan F.,
I agree with your keen observation and interpretation, particularly the statement that "the colored part in the mirror feels like a still shot." Ordinarily, some people might choose the colored part as the "present" time. It came out as if the action has stopped in the colored part as in a time warp depicting the past... Once again, many thanks for your fine interpretive comments. Best wishes, Leica 77 :)

Leica 77

Two from the weekend in Door County, Wisconsin. The lighthouse dates from 1868.
Fuji S5 and 17-55 f/2.8
Hello Cindy Flood,

It's a lovely building. It dates back to the same year (1868) when my alma mater in California (Cal) was founded! All the best, Leica 77 :)

etrigan63

I love the salon shot! Very creative!

I don't know why, but every time someone writes "hair saloon" instead of "hair salon" i conjure up an image of grizzled cowpokes with their hair in curlers getting mani/pedicures.

I should have taken the blue pill.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
I love the salon shot! Very creative!

I don't know why, but every time someone writes "hair saloon" instead of "hair salon" i conjure up an image of grizzled cowpokes with their hair in curlers getting mani/pedicures.

I should have taken the blue pill.
You're right, lot of typos in this post anyway.
And i should have said "beauty parlor". ;)

Then maybe you would've conjured up one of Andre friends instead of the older fellow in the chair.
With the side benefit of making any blue pill utterly unnecessary. :ROTFL:

Lloyd

Leica77 and Corlan F. Great stuff. And I think I enjoyed your exchange about the images as much as images themselves.

Leica 77

Leica77 and Corlan F. Great stuff. And I think I enjoyed your exchange about the images as much as images themselves.
Hello Lloyd,
Many thanks for your kind comments! It is always very nice to receive your positive feedback!!! Best wishes, Leica 77 :)

Leica 77

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon. The Clock Tower, Manila City Hall. Built in 1939. Nikon D300 + AF Nikkor 18-200mm VR. Thank you for looking. Leica 77 :)

Lloyd

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon. The Clock Tower, Manila City Hall. Built in 1939. Nikon D300 + AF Nikkor 18-200mm VR. Thank you for looking. Leica 77 :)

Wow. Sort of a visual shock to see this. Very nice. My mind kept jumping between the color and the b/w... I like things that surprise me in images.:thumbup:

Leica 77

Wow. Sort of a visual shock to see this. Very nice. My mind kept jumping between the color and the b/w... I like things that surprise me in images.:thumbup:
Hello Lloyd,
Many thanks for your positive comments. Your continued encouragement is heartwarming and very much appreciated. Best wishes, Leica 77 :)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Here's one from the fortified churches catalog, this time from the inside -a secondary room in low light.

D700 + 50/2 @ f2 - hanheld - single shot -no flash - no mapping - no added saturation - directly reduced and compressed from print file

Lloyd

Here's one from the fortified churches catalog, this time from the inside -a secondary room in low light.

D700 + 50/2 @ f2 - hanheld - single shot -no flash - no mapping - no added saturation - directly reduced and compressed from print file
Nice. Beautiful light. Wonderful composition..

Leica 77

Hello Corlan F.,
I agree with Lloyd that your image is very nice in terms of lighting and composition. The feeling of antiquity is also impressive! All the best, Leica 77 :)

viablex1

wow thats a winner!!

neighborhood IR at night

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Beautiful lighting and composition on this one :thumbup: