The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
:toocool:David, It looks like you had a lot more fun than I did.

Corian, Thank you for your observations. I was near the end of the parade and the old Marines had walked a long way by the time they passed by me. The young people in the band were still full of pep.
I like all of the textures in your cityscape. B+W suits the subject well.

Lloyd, Thank you.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's a street photo for you; Sukhumvit road in Bangkok, hidden among all the concrete. Think about it: 40 years ago, the temples were the landmarks of Bangkok :shocked:

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 24mm and f/9

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Cindy.
These couple of pictures really makes one feel like he was there watching the parade and remembering it afterwards.
(I kinda miss those friendly moments in american communities over the country).

Beautiful b/w. Really nice image.
Hello Lloyd, speaking of the devil... did you solve the M9 lines issue ? Just a rethorical question, i'll check the appropiate section...
This aside, many thanks for your kind comments. Always appreciated.

I've called the last picture posted "Alley to the Castle".
Here's why, and here's what's behind the trees. Quite a visual shock when you're not prepared, like me not knowing the very town i was in just passing by looking for directions for a small village around...

(a larger image gives better credit to the huge size of the construction and the visual impact, but the file size allowed here is naturally limited)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Impressive POV Jorgen, for a none less impressive cityscape...
I can't even make one single temple out with all the darn buildings :(

On the technical side, is it me or is there a perceptible blue cast on this picture ?

D

ddk

Here's a street photo for you; Sukhumvit road in Bangkok, hidden among all the concrete. Think about it: 40 years ago, the temples were the landmarks of Bangkok :shocked:
Not to forget the wonderful Klongs and waterways that connected Bangkok, when I move to Thailand in 1987, they were still there. I remember my first apartment was a backed by rain forest with wild animals and all. It was wonderful to have that in the center of the city, unfortunately a year later someone bought it from the government and started a construction project, unfortunately the rest is history...

D

ddk

Had the pleasure of shooting with a new model this Labor Day weekend. Her fair skin got pink from the sun pretty quickly so I opted for B&W.
I see that you were laboring away David. Her bathing suit reminds of Ursula Andress in the first James Bond movie, it must be the belt!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Impressive POV Jorgen, for a none less impressive cityscape...
I can't even make one single temple out with all the darn buildings :(

On the technical side, is it me or is there a perceptible blue cast on this picture ?
Actually, there are no temples on this stretch of Sukhumvit, and there never was. Don't ask me why, but one reason may be that a large portion of the area is owned by ethnic Indians.

The light was rather peculiar when I took the photo. It's taken just before sunset, but the light was very blue, and whatever colour temperature I choose, it's off in some way or another. I didn't have much time to take this, since I was entering a meeting room as the last arriving participant. However, when I saw the beautiful light outside, I walked straight over to the window, while pulling out my camera, and started to take photos, somewhat to the surprise of the other meeting participants :wtf:

Lloyd

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 24mm and f/9
Interesting color... and oh my, Bangkok really has changed! :bugeyes:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Not to forget the wonderful Klongs and waterways that connected Bangkok, when I move to Thailand in 1987, they were still there. I remember my first apartment was a backed by rain forest with wild animals and all. It was wonderful to have that in the center of the city, unfortunately a year later someone bought it from the government and started a construction project, unfortunately the rest is history...
David,
It's getting worse. Along Sukhumvit between Nana and Thong Lo, it's getting increasingly difficult to find proper Thai food, particularly at street level. So the tourists, who are arriving to the hotels of this area by the thousands every day, are mostly offered hamburgers and "international" food, whatever that is :scry:

Not so out here in Samut Prakan. The local restaurants don't even have English menus :thumbup:

David K

Workshop Member
LLoyd, thank you, credit goes to the model and her beautiful smile.

Cindy, it was fun but it was hot. Had a ShamWow wrapped around my bald head like a turban and kept dousing it with bottled water :) Love your B&W's of the vets and the boys in the band.

David, I was thinking Bo Derek but Ursala Andress is much more accurate. I'll post a walking out of the water shot tomorrow that my friend Andre took at the end of our shoot.

Lloyd

Thanks, Cindy.
These couple of pictures really makes one feel like he was there watching the parade and remembering it afterwards.
(I kinda miss those friendly moments in american communities over the country).

Hello Lloyd, speaking of the devil... did you solve the M9 lines issue ? Just a rethorical question, i'll check the appropiate section...
This aside, many thanks for your kind comments. Always appreciated.

I've called the last picture posted "Alley to the Castle".
Here's why, and here's what's behind the trees. Quite a visual shock when you're not prepared, like me not knowing the very town i was in just passing by looking for directions for a small village around...

(a larger image gives better credit to the huge size of the construction and the visual impact, but the file size allowed here is naturally limited)
That would be a shock! As for the M9, I resolved the problem by returning it to Leica. Luckily, the rep was still at the shop. I've written a little more about it on that other thread, but basically, I'm on the sidelines until at least the third shipment, and may opt to wait a little longer while things work though.

Lloyd

Running in the rain at 9000 feet (~2750 meters) elevation, my wife participating in the Red Rock Relay; 180 miles. Her twelve-woman team (each woman running three relay legs... here my wife is running about 8 miles, in pouring rain, mud and cold) finished first overall for all-women teams, and were more than 3 hours 20 minutes ahead of their nearest competition.

D300; 28-70/2.8 (through a rain covered windscreen on the car):

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Actually, there are no temples on this stretch of Sukhumvit, and there never was. Don't ask me why, but one reason may be that a large portion of the area is owned by ethnic Indians.

The light was rather peculiar when I took the photo. It's taken just before sunset, but the light was very blue, and whatever colour temperature I choose, it's off in some way or another. I didn't have much time to take this, since I was entering a meeting room as the last arriving participant. However, when I saw the beautiful light outside, I walked straight over to the window, while pulling out my camera, and started to take photos, somewhat to the surprise of the other meeting participants :wtf:
OK - from your presentation i understood there was. So now you got me scrutinizing the picture for 5 minutes searching for the slighest indication of a temple :mad: :deadhorse:

Re the light, it was not intended as criticism, simply this cast (if added) is quite unusual and at the same time there was some indications that the light was indeed peculiar. Interesting. And it's quite in accordance with the theme.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
That would be a shock! As for the M9, I resolved the problem by returning it to Leica. Luckily, the rep was still at the shop. I've written a little more about it on that other thread, but basically, I'm on the sidelines until at least the third shipment, and may opt to wait a little longer while things work though.
Never easy to be an early player (and the more with Leica, apparently). It might be the safe route to wait a bit longer... on the other hand when paying this kind of money for a digital camera, we can easily imagine the kind of frustration generated by not being able to use it :(
Hopefully you'll get a fine working body in no time.

The Red Rock Relay sounds like quite a race :shocked:
As usual your picture communicates a strong sense of the required efforts and of the event environnement and conditions. The perspective with the distant second runner is simply great and tells the whole story.

Lloyd

Never easy to be an early player (and the more with Leica, apparently). It might be the safe route to wait a bit longer... on the other hand when paying this kind of money for a digital camera, we can easily imagine the kind of frustration generated by not being able to use it :(
Hopefully you'll get a fine working body in no time.

The Red Rock Relay sounds like quite a race :shocked:
As usual your picture communicates a strong sense of the required efforts and of the event environnement and conditions. The perspective with the distant second runner is simply great and tells the whole story.
Thanks Corlan. I have my M8 still, and am very happy with it. (Although I had problems with the first two copies I had... there can be problems when you're an early adopter. My D200 had the banding issues.)

Here's a shot of the Red Rock Relay about 6 miles down the road from when I took the first. About 1000 feet lower in elevation, and no rain here. Both my wife (in the white), and the woman she's chasing, but hasn't quite caught yet, have shed their coats.

D300; 28-70 @ 35/f8:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Lloyd, Congratulations to your wife and her team. The second picture really conveys the uphill battle. It makes me tired just looking at them speeding up that hill.

Lloyd

Lloyd, Congratulations to your wife and her team. The second picture really conveys the uphill battle. It makes me tired just looking at them speeding up that hill.
Thanks Cindy. It was a fun, but exhausting couple of days. They finished in 26 hours and 3 minutes. I shadowed them for most of the race... even in the dark through some spectacular thunderstorms. I'm still feeling the sleep deprivation. Speaking of which, I'm off to bed. Night all. :sleep006: