The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you, Steen. Alas, the D2x is gone. Used within its limits (low-ISO and avoiding its abrupt highlight clipping) the files had subtle, exquisite colours and great presence. The latter probably due to a commendably weak AA-filter. I have wondered about rebuying this body...

Two more oldies from the D2x.
I like the stairs, Arne, and you did get those verticals straight :) Where? France?

simonclivehughes

Thanks Jorgen, they were actually taken the same day. The boat shot is a sunrise shot just outside of Ketchikan, AK, and the other during a (smaller) boat tour of the Misty Fiords NP. It was so calm the water was like a mirror in places. Hard to take a bad shot when Mother Nature is having such a stellar day.

Cheers,

simonclivehughes

Thanks Gents, that means a lot! The funny part is that when we left Vancouver, the weather, and the weather forecast were miserable for the entire 3-day voyage (Vancouver - Ketchikan - Seattle), but it turned out to be just incredible. Picture taking was just so easy as everywhere you turned presented such a magnificent tableau.

I used a couple of D300 bodies with the 12-24, the 16-85 and the 70-300 lenses.

Ciao,

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Here's a few more from the same trip. As you can see, Nature was doing skies.

Cheers,
The images are terrific! Although I have to say, the HDR hits me funny. HDR and Infrared always give me the willies, but I know there's a lot of folks who love both. I'm going out on a limb and saying that the shots would probably hold up even without the extreme processing. Regardless, well done!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Lloyd: that's a very intense shot of the tree. I love how it curves in one direction and the shadow goes in another. Nice!

simonclivehughes

The images are terrific! Although I have to say, the HDR hits me funny. HDR and Infrared always give me the willies, but I know there's a lot of folks who love both. I'm going out on a limb and saying that the shots would probably hold up even without the extreme processing. Regardless, well done!
Thanks for the kudos. It's actually not HDR in the true sense of it, all are single exposures. I'm using Topaz Adjust with custom created presets. It may end up being a phase for me, but I quite like the look it allows you to get. For the B&W, I then post-processed in Silver EFXpro.

I used to spend a lot of time in the wet darkroom dodging and burning to get this kind of drama, so workflow now is just such a pleasure. I quite understand that some may not like the results, but at least I've provoked a reaction. I'm obviously not going for a natural look! :)

Cheers,

Lloyd

Lloyd: that's a very intense shot of the tree. I love how it curves in one direction and the shadow goes in another. Nice!
Thanks, Tim. I wish I could say I saw this tree one day and planned to go back when the light was just right, etc., but the truth is I was with my brother-in-law and my three nephews Geocaching near Lethbridge, Alberta. I brought the camera along to take pix of the kids. We were walking back to the car, and I saw the shadow. "F8 and be there."

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Simon - fantastic sceneries.
Seconding Tim though, i'm under the impression that the extra (somehow artificial?) processing might not serve some of these outstanding photos, the clouds in particular.