The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you all for your comments. I had a walk in a different environment yesterday, Downtown Bangkok.

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 17mm and f/11

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Often, when I walk around in Bangkok, I think about a sentence that I read in a book about this city once: "Until the seventies, the temples were the landmarks of Bangkok." There are other temples nowadays :(

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 17mm and f/7.1

Last edited:

Lloyd

Often, when I walk around in Bangkok, I think about a sentence that I read in a book about this city once: "Until the seventies, the temples were the landmarks of Bangkok." There are other temples nowadays :(

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 17mm and f/7.1
Sadly true pretty much everywhere, isn't it? Nice pics, Jorgen.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sadly true pretty much everywhere, isn't it? Nice pics, Jorgen.
Yes, it's true for most cities, but in Bangkok, the "Commercial Takeover" came rather late compared to western countries. However, when it arrived, some parts of this city were, and still are, completely destroyed without any proper planning or infrastructure. A few years ago, the even tore down one of the most prominent and most beautiful examples of contemporary Thai architecture, The Siam Intercontinental Hotel, built as late as the mid-seventies. Why they did that? To build a giant shopping mall, a huge, ugly bunker of steel, concrete and a tiny bit of glass, in an area where the malls were standing more or less wall-to-wall anyway.

Lloyd

Yes, it's true for most cities, but in Bangkok, the "Commercial Takeover" came rather late compared to western countries. However, when it arrived, some parts of this city were, and still are, completely destroyed without any proper planning or infrastructure. A few years ago, the even tore down one of the most prominent and most beautiful examples of contemporary Thai architecture, The Siam Intercontinental Hotel, built as late as the mid-seventies. Why they did that? To build a giant shopping mall, a huge, ugly bunker of steel, concrete and a tiny bit of glass, in an area where the malls were standing more or less wall-to-wall anyway.
Yes, I remember that place. I never stayed there myself, but my sister and her husband did, as did a number of friends, each of whom lamented its demise.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
New tool test - D700 / 600 VR ISO 3200

Snowy evening at the Grand Tetons with poor light so I went raptor hunting.