The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
An odd day. Locked out of the house accidentally and wandering around with my camera, waiting for the wife to return. A bit gloomy, but hey, you take what you find right?

AlexLF

An odd day. Locked out of the house accidentally and wandering around with my camera, waiting for the wife to return. A bit gloomy, but hey, you take what you find right?
I really like the first one! It could be matted and framed hanging on a wall.

leif e

This last page has some really great images, folks! That Chevy pick up reminds of my childhood. A local farmer had one - two-tone! dark green and black. Unusual here; being Norway. I can still hear the engine´s rumble (or is it my head? :D)

I just got a Nikkor 1,4/85 ais for the D200. The other night we (the broadcasting I work for) arranged a tribute to the poetry hero of my youth (70 yrs birthday). He can still read! :)
leif e

Lloyd

Gloomy, maybe, but interesting, and very kewl processing.

Lloyd

This last page has some really great images, folks! That Chevy pick up reminds of my childhood. A local farmer had one - two-tone! dark green and black. Unusual here; being Norway. I can still hear the engine´s rumble (or is it my head? :D)

I just got a Nikkor 1,4/85 ais for the D200. The other night we (the broadcasting I work for) arranged a tribute to the poetry hero of my youth (70 yrs birthday). He can still read! :)
leif e
Beautiful portrait, Leif. Congrats on the new lens. I love my 85/1,4, you'll no doubt love yours as well.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Very nice portrait leif.

And thanks to everyone for the comments on my dying Hosta and dead froggie pair. Don't feel too bad about Sir Frog, he had a good life in his own private pond with lots of young froggettes to romance.

I found it interesting that the two shots (the frost-bitten Hosta leaf and the underside of the frog) shared a similar pattern of lights and darks. Both shots within 25 yards of each other.

routlaw

Rob, if I understand your question right regarding DOF and diffraction - AFAIK DOF depends only on "film" format (at the constant aperture). So diffraction could come into play at high apertures which I haven't use for this pic.
I probably could have asked this better. That interior photo appeared to need a small aperture, something on the order of F11-16 I would guess, unless of course you focus stacked. Assuming that is correct I just wanted to know how well the sensor held up to such a diffraction inducing aperture. When I owned the D2x F11 was really pushing the envelop with noticeable softening of detail. I was curious if the D3x falls into the same situation.

This photo was made of 4 exposures (-2, -1, 0, +1 EV) blended in PS. But it took me 20 min to post-process it. This is an easy case. I also so make some color correction just to make the photo "sing" (well, I'm still learning). In general, I don't see any problem doing PP - people tend to remember more vivid picture of anything anyway, and we capture that moment (as photographers). So the result should be more vivid that it originally was.
Let me clarify a bit. I certainly did not mean for my question to be disparaging remark about your workflow and in fact like you also do a lot of post production work on my files as well. I see little to any difference in the philosophy of manipulating photographs in the wet dark room compared to the digital darkroom. Its all good, I was just curious as to what this new camera was doing on its own accord.

I don't believe any pro photographer present its work as is - no way. So 99% of my photos are PP'd. But most of the time I just do some color correction and run one pretty simple action in PS to sharpen an image for the web.

As to the color rendition of the D3x - never had problems with it even if I take pics in JPEG. But D3x requires way less PP compared with what I do with my scans from LF film :)
I could easily believe this having worked for years with large format trannies, scanning etc.

Here's another example (D3x, 24-70, all one exposure, processed in PS, done for a client's local office):
I like the new construction work photos, excellent as usual.

Rob

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks, LLoyd.
Zeiss did it! Or is it the 105 ? :confused:

Very sensible portrait, Leif. Good job!

Matt- you should have asked the actors to stay on set for this shot (see PM) :rolleyes: