The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

m_driscoll

Re: "Police Horse on Duty"

Beautiful series of images. Wonder subject matter, lots of color, etc. I'm also impressed with this new 50's performance. OOF rendering seems very pleasing.
Lloyd: Thanks. It is an excellent lens. Relatively small. The bokeh is even and consistently attractive. Cheers.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Lloyd, Matt... as David said light is interesting here lately. Colour temp varies drastically within little time, which opens possibilities in addition of being a photographic challenge.
The next boat was owned by a nice couple who by 2002, five years before retirement decided to take the the risk to buy a rusty wrecked barge and to rebuild it to have a home. Both workers for 40+ years but with their factories closing money was scarce so everything was made DIY with scrap yards stuff.
Here's some details of the result (no WA lens that day):

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Living space inside is tiny (less than 250 sq. feet added), but they can't be happier. When summer comes, the 35-ft barge leaves port and they go for a 3-month ride up North...

Here's the cabin, "back" and "front":

[end]

Last edited:
D

ddk

These are very pretty Corian with gorgeous light, I wonder if you could get permission to shoot models in there...

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
These are very pretty Corian with gorgeous light, I wonder if you could get permission to shoot models in there...
Interesting thought. I see what you mean by looking again at the pictures, which make the seemingly available room much larger than it actually is -along with the fact that they did a tremendous job fine tuning every detail to fit in stuff as in a larger vessel. The whole cabin for example is merely 3 sq. meter tops...

To give you an idea, i had to shoot with the 50mm (FF) @f2 to f4 from the outside, one foot on the concrete and the other one on the short gangplank. Btw not really an ideal stance since the darn thing is for some reason on... water :wtf: :D, so it's kinda moving independently from your shooting position. So you have to wait not only for the light in calm weather, but also for any single ripple from passing boats to fade. :deadhorse:

P.S. PM sent

D

ddk

Interesting thought. I see what you mean by looking again at the pictures, which make the seemingly available room much larger than it actually is -along with the fact that they did a tremendous job fine tuning every detail to fit in stuff as in a larger vessel. The whole cabin for example is merely 3 sq. meter tops...

To give you an idea, i had to shoot with the 50mm (FF) @f2 to f4 from the outside, one foot on the concrete and the other one on the short gangplank. Btw not really an ideal stance since the darn thing is for some reason on... water :wtf: :D, so it's kinda moving independently from your shooting position. So you have to wait not only for the light in calm weather, but also for any single ripple from passing boats to fade. :deadhorse:
That's pretty tight...

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Those are beautiful images, Corlan. Wonderful detail. Those folks did an amazing job on that boat.
Yes, they did. Being all thumbs myself I really was astonished when they showed me the photo of the original piece of wreck they had bought. They said they will let me scan it or try and shoot it (small, very low quality photo) next time around -they had to leave then and understandably did not want to part with this extremely valuable piece of memory to a stranger -as nice his smile was :rolleyes:.

Btw thanks for the compliment, actually they loved the couple of prints i brought them, the wife was even getting emotional. So i guess sometimes it's rewarding just to take pictures, "for fun". :)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Excellent boat photos, Corlan. A life on the canals? I could live with that :)
Thanks Jorgen.

I even have a couple of portraits from another canal harbour, but i'm shy to post them among the masters of portraiture... :eek: :)

(and also as mentionned before the laws here protecting any individual's "image rights" are so tight and people so sensitive about it that it makes you think twice before shooting street portraits)

Last edited:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
John, nice night shot.
Just so you know on my screen i can see the strobe at 45° R, but a simple Spot Healing click should save the day. :lecture: :deadhorse: :D

Fun colors and lights, Mikoo. Very neat! :thumbup:

Lloyd

Yes, they did. Being all thumbs myself I really was astonished when they showed me the photo of the original piece of wreck they had bought. They said they will let me scan it or try and shoot it (small, very low quality photo) next time around -they had to leave then and understandably did not want to part with this extremely valuable piece of memory to a stranger -as nice his smile was :rolleyes:.

Btw thanks for the compliment, actually they loved the couple of prints i brought them, the wife was even getting emotional. So i guess sometimes it's rewarding just to take pictures, "for fun". :)
Well done, Corlan. Makes me proud to be in public with a camera in hand. :D