The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Lloyd

Doing some family portrait location scouting. These are inside the Utah State Capitol Building. I pretty much has the whole place to myself this morning.

D3, 14-24/2.8:

The entire ceiling of the building, except for the central rotunda, is multi-pane skylight, visible in this shot. Thus the mix of cooler daylight, and the warm incandescent light in all the shots.

House of Representatives chamber:

routlaw

Doing some family portrait location scouting. These are inside the Utah State Capitol Building. I pretty much has the whole place to myself this morning.

House of Representatives chamber:
Lloyd don't tell me, your son, the one in yesterdays photo (which was hilarious btw) is going to run for governor now and you're doing the photos. :D

Nothing like living on the edge. :ROTFL:

Nice work on the interiors.

Rob

Lloyd

Lloyd don't tell me, your son, the one in yesterdays photo (which was hilarious btw) is going to run for governor now and you're doing the photos. :D

Nothing like living on the edge. :ROTFL:

Nice work on the interiors.

Rob
Thanks Rob.

That politician idea would be funny, but definitely unlikely. He's a bit of a rebel (can't imagine where that comes from?) Say, maybe we need that in a governor , hmm... Here's a recent shot of him:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Lloyd, yet another super portrait of your son :thumbs:
(changed his looks from the "greener" :D days, didn't he?)

The Capitol shots are insteresting, great opportunity you have here. The first two photos with the drastic light temp contrast is a bit unsettling to me, though i think it works better with the skylight visible inside the shot -making it "easier for the brain to understand"?

The last one from the Chamber have rich colors and textures (they are for sure on the larger version). Would you have some other shot maybe with a different framing, maybe a bit more to the right? Well, i like this one anyway :)

Lloyd

Lloyd, yet another super portrait of your son :thumbs:
(changed his looks from the "greener" :D days, didn't he?)

The Capitol shots are insteresting, great opportunity you have here. The first two photos with the drastic light temp contrast is a bit unsettling to me, though i think it works better with the skylight visible inside the shot -making it "easier for the brain to understand"?

The last one from the Chamber have rich colors and textures (they are for sure on the larger version). Would you have some other shot maybe with a different framing, maybe a bit more to the right? Well, i like this one anyway :)
Thanks Corlan. The Capitol shots were impacted a bit by the fairly early hour, and the fact that the skylights were at least partially covered with snow. I also like the warmth of the incandescent, so since I didn't have any human subjects, I emphasized that a bit in processing. I didn't have a lot of time this morning, and even as I was leaving after only about 15 minutes in the building "traffic" in the building was starting to pick up a little. I'll probably go back and try again, but as for the House chamber, it's actually pretty rare to see the main door open like that.

The family portrait I'm shooting is for a State employee who works in the Capitol building. Fortunately, we're shooting it the day after Christmas, so it's not a business day, and not likely to have many tourists. Below is a shot of the place she wants to use for the large group shot... with people arranged at different locations within the frame. I'll be using some umbrellas to get some fill on the faces as the skylight above tends to put shadows under eyes, etc. I actually went today at the time of the scheduled shoot, just to see how intense the overhead light might be, but the snow made it hard to judge.

The processing is a little milder (although not a lot) on this one:

D3, 50/1.4

View attachment 25187

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
The processing is a little milder (although not a lot) on this one:

D3, 50/1.4

View attachment 25187
The relative balance on this one definitely looks more natural (to me) :)
I see you've used the 50 1.4... what's the aperure here?

I did get one more of the House Chambers... a little to the right of the last, but in Vertical perspective.

View attachment 25188
Nice colors again! My series favorite in this regard.
(and DR looks quite ok considering the ceiling light, snow etc)

Lloyd

The relative balance on this one definitely looks more natural (to me) :)
I see you've used the 50 1.4... what's the aperure here?
That was at 1/60, f4.8, ISO 800. Hand held. For "the shot", I'll be using a tripod, and will stop down a bit.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Beautiful interior shots, Lloyd. I like the contrasting colour temperatures a lot, particularly since the "unnatural" look in this case is natural. Good portrait of your son too :)

m_driscoll

Lloyd: Nice interiors. I like the third shot of the Representatives Chamber (even if the color is a little "unnatural"; I won't pursue that). It must have been a little surreal without people. Interesting place for a family portrait. The color and tone in your son's portrait couldn't get any better. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Lloyd

Lloyd: Nice interiors. I like the third shot of the Representatives Chamber (even if the color is a little "unnatural"; I won't pursue that). It must have been a little surreal without people. Interesting place for a family portrait. The color and tone in your son's portrait couldn't get any better. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
Thanks Jorgen and Matt. Much appreciated. It will be interesting to see how this comes out. Not until December 26th, so I have a little time to sort out the process.

Thanks for that on my son's portrait, Matt. I have to confess to it's being "off topic" however. I realized after I posted it from my Flickr account that it was taken with my M8. :eek:

m_driscoll

Thanks Jorgen and Matt. Much appreciated. It will be interesting to see how this comes out. Not until December 26th, so I have a little time to sort out the process.

Thanks for that on my son's portrait, Matt. I have to confess to it's being "off topic" however. I realized after I posted it from my Flickr account that it was taken with my M8. :eek:
Lloyd: I'd thought I saw it elsewhere. It's still a great photo. Cheers.