The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Re: "A couple more foggy photos"

3. D3; 14-24mm f/2.8; 20mm; 1/2500s @ f/2.8; +1/3 EV; ISO 800

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
Love the last one, Matt.
After the "happy boats" in the last series, these two look proud and brave, ready to face the harsher weather. Fine angle on this shot.

LLoyd- nice new toy you have here... your friend in full Santa suit definitely got the winner attitude... and quite an efficient action focus point here, overall perspective is swell, too... good shot! :)

Lloyd

LLoyd- nice new toy you have here... your friend in full Santa suit definitely got the winner attitude... and quite an efficient action focus point here, overall perspective is swell, too... good shot! :)
Thanks Corlan. Just don't say "toy" too often. My wife thinks it's a tool, rather than a toy... don't want her to find out the truth! :D

Lloyd

A few more from the Santa Run. All with the D3 and the new 70-200/2.8 VRII.

Did I mention there were a lot of Santas?

Some even had reindeer:

Some of the reindeer ran alone, however:

Some had a different take on the season:

Others were, well, sexy? (I love those buckles!)

And a few appeared more "enlightened":

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
ha, nice series. Love the second one.
Looks like the yellow stroller area on the first posted would deserve a crop in itself , for the extra sense of fun :)

Lloyd

ha, nice series. Love the second one.
Looks like the yellow stroller area on the first posted would deserve a crop in itself , for the extra sense of fun :)
Thanks, it was fun to shoot. By the way, that guy pushing the stroller was fast! He finished 5th overall.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks, it was fun to shoot. By the way, that guy pushing the stroller was fast! He finished 5th overall.
Fast, and strong!
Too bad on this one the toddlers don't seem as joyful as much as on the previous one. Less "fun".
Good one, though.

Lloyd

Fast, and strong!
Too bad on this one the toddlers don't seem as joyful as much as on the previous one. Less "fun".
Good one, though.
I took another look at the start image, and I agree. I suspect the kids faces in the latter image reflect the fact that it was pretty cold... less reason to be happy.

Here's a crop of the first image (click for a larger version):
View attachment 25326

m_driscoll

Very nice work, Matt. They certainly passed the "Mimi Test", she was sitting by me when I opened your post, and her immediate reaction was something like, "Oh, those are so nice... they draw you right in, and you feel like you're right there. I can feel the chill from here." She especially like the second one. I second her opinions. :thumbup:
Lloyd/Mimi: Thanks. The little green building in the 2nd photo was the Cow Bay B & B where we were staying. Good work with your new tool. I had one on order, but switched my deposit over to the M9 (wrongly assuming it would arrive first). Now, I'll have to get back in line. I'm not expecting my wife to surprise me with one! My favorites are the last two runners. It will be interesting to see how it works with the TC-E14.

Corlan F: Thanks, also. They need to be tough! I was on a purse seiner for a summer out of Ketchikan, just North of Prince Rupert. The weather can be brutal.

Cheers,

fultonpics

you lucky guys -- new 70-200 VRII's !! oh well, times are tough and i have to stick it out with my old VR1 for sometime...news stuff from the other day.

Last edited:

Lloyd

One from this morning on the way to work. Not the best perspective, but I didn't have much time, and you take what you can get sometimes. This was my first shot with the new 70-200/2.8 VRII using a teleconverter... the TC-14E II. I spot metered (using the camera) on the moon, so the rest is underexposed and there is some vignetting; I certainly didn't add any. This was wide open, so I'll have to do some experimenting to see what it looks like at all apertures.

D3, 70-200/2.8 VRII @ f4, ISO 400, 1/640

routlaw

One from this morning on the way to work. Not the best perspective, but I didn't have much time, and you take what you can get sometimes. This was my first shot with the new 70-200/2.8 VRII using a teleconverter... the TC-14E II. I spot metered (using the camera) on the moon, so the rest is underexposed and there is some vignetting; I certainly didn't add any. This was wide open, so I'll have to do some experimenting to see what it looks like at all apertures.
Cool view Lloyd. Man you guys need some snow down there. Just got back from Sundance, dry as bone. Love the Santa races.

Some really nice photos posted in the last few days, foggy ships, Matts interiors. Lief, love your dog looks like a great little buddy you got there.

Rob

Lloyd

Cool view Lloyd. Man you guys need some snow down there. Just got back from Sundance, dry as bone. Love the Santa races.

Rob
Thanks Rob. And too true... we really do need some snow. Looks like we've got it lined up for next week, so we're hopeful. I sure would like to be able to use the ski pass I bought in September. (BTW, most of the resorts are making snow, so they have some runs open. I no longer downhill (nine knee surgeries), but do XC ski.)

T

tetsrfun

there is some vignetting; I certainly didn't add any.
Have you seen any vignetting w/o the TC?

Steve

Lloyd

Quick test of the new 70-200/2.8G ED VRII with the TC-14E II teleconverter. All three taken with the D3, Aperture Priority. These were handheld, and all taken within one minute. Shot RAW, and then processed in ACR 5.0. Processing was the same for each. Resize and sharpen for web in CS4:

F4 - Vignetting clearly visible:

F6.3 - Still visible, but reduced:

F10 - Vignetting no longer apparent:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Still busy running around, not getting much done, except some furniture yesterday. Here's from the preparations, two of the staff trying to adjust a chair built for big, strong westerners into shape, while I tried to get the exposure right. We all succeeded eventually :)

D80 with 80-200 AF-S @ 80mm and f/7.1

m_driscoll

you lucky guys -- new 70-200 VRII's !! oh well, times are tough and i have to stick it out with my old VR1 for sometime...news stuff from the other day.
Nice pictures. Not more Tiger Woods! Just kidding. I'm probably not the only one who thinks his wife's prettier then the rest of his harem.

And, I hate to admit that I went and bought a 70-200mm VR II today (It's Lloyd's wife Mimi's fault). Keep feeding us more great sports/fanatics shots (even if you have to use your VRI). Cheers.