The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

m_driscoll

Here's a few from my lunchtime outing with the new 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII. It's an incredible lens. Focuses unbelievably fast. Didn't make for a very stealthy "street" kit. But, it's so fast that it's up to the eye, shoot, and down (have to be careful not to hit anybody!). Thanks for looking. Cheers.

1. D700; 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII; 122mm; 1/250s @ f/2.8; ISO 320

2. D700; 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII; 70mm; 1/125s @ f/2.8; ISO 320

3. D700; 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII; 180mm; 1/320s @ f/2.8; ISO 320

4. D700; 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII; 122mm; 1/250s @ f/2.8; ISO 320

5. D700; 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII; 122mm; 1/320s @ f/2.8; ISO 320

6. D700; 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII; 130mm; 1/1250s @ f/2.8; ISO 320

7. D700; 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII; 155mm; 1/800s @ f/2.8; ISO 320

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Lloyd

Here's a few from my lunchtime outing with the new 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII. It's an incredible lens. Focuses unbelievably fast. Didn't make for a very stealthy "street" kit. But, it's so fast that it's up to the eye, shoot, and down (have to be careful not to hit anybody!). Thanks for looking. Cheers.

Terrific stuff, Matt. Don't need stealth sometimes, when the extra focal length means you don't have to be up in peoples faces. Glad to see you're happy with the purchase. I know I certainly am.

Lloyd

Bangkok in the morning.

S5 with 80-200 AF-S @ 200mm and f/3.2
Interesting shot, Jorgen. Lots of things going on. The surface of the street has a very appealing texture. What is that thing in the background. Looks like someone tipped over their waste basket.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interesting shot, Jorgen. Lots of things going on. The surface of the street has a very appealing texture. What is that thing in the background. Looks like someone tipped over their waste basket.
Somebody tipped over their waste basket ;)

Actually, it's outside the new Bangkok Art and Culture Center. There's cultural waste all over the place :wtf:

Matt, the 80-200 AF-S and the S5 is a marriage made in heaven. It will be very difficult to convince me that the newer 70-200 Mark II, III or IV will be an improvement, except for VR that is.

T

tetsrfun

Focuses unbelievably fast.
"Instantaneous" was the impression when I first used mine.

Steve

etrigan63

First stab at a "David Hill Look". Granted, to achieve it properly, I would need multiple light sources in the shot to create a lot of specular highlights, but this is more of a test of the post-production methodology.

Lloyd

First stab at a "David Hill Look". Granted, to achieve it properly, I would need multiple light sources in the shot to create a lot of specular highlights, but this is more of a test of the post-production methodology.
You're right about the need for multiple light sources to get that "Dave Hill" look, but I do like the processing, very nice effect that stands on its own.

I took a stab at that same "Dave Hill" look a while back. Here's a sample:

routlaw

ode to Routlaw!!!

alabama again today!!
Matt you're killing me here :ROTFL: Good one though, love the old buildings and that image of the Collinsville theater. How many times have I passed through this little town and by that theater?

Rob

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Somebody tipped over their waste basket ;)

Actually, it's outside the new Bangkok Art and Culture Center. There's cultural waste all over the place :wtf:

Matt, the 80-200 AF-S and the S5 is a marriage made in heaven. It will be very difficult to convince me that the newer 70-200 Mark II, III or IV will be an improvement, except for VR that is.
Great colors as always.

Love the 80-200mm, that's the one zoom lens that i'd dearly regret selling when i parted with my analog Nikon gear years ago. The combo with the F3 helped me create more income than any other photographic equipment, a fantastic tool for "action portraits" in limited light from a distance (with the 50 1.2 AIS for -stiller- close-ups) ... but it now sounds like was another time and space.

Did you have a chance to compare the AF-D (ring, not push pull) to the AF-S version ?

Both are incredible value today considering the performance. And yes, no VR, but hey.

P.S. i you don't care to say, how much did you pay for the terrific 300mm f4? Never onwed the lens because at the time i absolutely needed the extra stop at the time, but with the ISO range of the recent DSLR it's now longer a problem (my requirements are quite different, too) and several people like yourself lately reported great results with the lens, again for terrific value.

Last edited:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
when i took this a week and a half ago, just thought it was a bad picture. maybe not? :deadhorse:
(copyrighted as it was submitted to wire service)
one of the good things hanging around celebrities with a camera (and authorization): you never know when some shots might turn out as valuable(!) keepers. OTOH it means you basically have to keep all shots from all sessions, guess in your case it tranlates into stacks of TBs...

Nice semi-stealth series. :thumbup:

Btw did you try a vertical crop on #3 & 4 ? It seems to work extremely well...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Corlan,
I paid around $570 for the 300 here in Bangkok. Used lenses are not cheap here due to high demand, but mine is in very good shape.

I never considered the 80-200 AF D. When I bought the AF-S three years ago, it was on impulse (I was actually going to spend my money on a 300mm f/4 that day). I am considering the AF D (new) or another AF-S (used) as backup though. The AF D is smaller and lighter enough to co-exist with its bigger brother. I'm looking at a Tokina 50-135mm f/2.8 first though (or the Pentax version on a Pentax body for a light/low-light setup).