The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

shtarka1

Steve, seconding everyone here. The whole Ava series on your gallery looks terrific -the thrid photo from the left there is just... wow!
(btw sorry for calling you "Mark" before, just stopped at the name present in the signature link at the time) :eek:

Thanks a lot Corlan! No sweat on being called by my last name first :)!

Lloyd

Matt, here are some examples of vignetting in the Nikkor 85/1.4 as I've promised. I used this lens successfully until I bought the D700. I apologize for the blur, but the shots were taken handheld from a moving boat, under rain.
Best,
Osman

Not seeing the pix, Osman.

otumay

Mmm, that's strange because I'm seeing them now. OK, I'll post them on my flicker page and then link them here. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Lloyd

Mmm, that's strange because I'm seeing them now. OK, I'll post them on my flicker page and then link them here. Sorry for this inconvenience.
Sorry for the inconvenience to you, my friend! I even tried going directly to the link. Didn't work for me. I'd be interested to know whether other folks are seeing them.

otumay

I see your point; the first one at f/1.4, the second at f/2.8 and the third at f/1.8. Thank you for the tip.
Best,
Osman

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
I'd be interested to know whether other folks are seeing them.

Nope, nothing except the white rectangle with the upper right hand red cross.

Having said that, Otumay you're right many lenses show some vignetting on FX sensors.
Is it a problem? Not sure, it's part of their character (see Leica glasses -if i dare, being a mere plebian Nikon user), especially those designed when FX was the only 35mm format.

It's true though that some works interestingly better in the digital domain on cropped DX/APS-C sensors, and imho it's the case of the 85mm 1.4, or the 105s (DC etc. untill the VR). When the good ol' 50 1.2 just shines on FX. Well, you still have to accept vignetting, but it's a super cool lens when you get the hang of it.

A perfect complement to the Zeiss 50/2M, thinking about it... i definitely need to get a copy -again :eek:

Edit: apparently links are back in the meantime...

Last edited:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
I see your point; the first one at f/1.4, the second at f/2.8 and the third at f/1.8. Thank you for the tip.
Best,
Osman
Anyway, these are not designed for technical shots :)
Typical "portrait" distance lens, as wide open as possible.

otumay

Thanks Corlan. Actually that outing was intended to shoot candidly in the fish and vegetable market, and the 85/1.4 was very good. But I couldn't help shooting during the boat trip to the market, and under such adverse conditions, its output suffered. I hope to post some shoots from the market very soon.
Thanks and best regards,
Osman

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Absolutely love that first one, Steve :)

My brother and his family came down from Denmark yesterday. I visited them at their hotel room, which was on the 15th floor with river view. I hadn't seen them in 18 months or so, but the view was nice too. Priorities, priorities... we had a great dinner after sunset though :p

D80 with 70-300 ED @ 70mm and f/5.6

Hey... New here! Been reading up on MFDB stuff, but I'm all Nikon, all the time for now.

A lil something from a shoot a couple weekends ago.... Have to love cyclocross!