The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

m_driscoll

A couple from Christmas at my sister's. As you can see, I'm really a pain at family gatherings. Thanks for looking. Cheers.

1. D700; 50mm f/1.4G; 1/40s @ f/4; ISO 2500 (my niece's son , my mother and my sister)

2. D700; 50mm f/1.4G; 1/25s @ f/2.2; ISO 3200 (my mother, my nephew, my daughter and my niece's boys in the background)

3. D700; 50mm f/1.4G; 1/40s @ f/1.4; ISO 1000 (my daughter and her husband)

4. D700; 50mm f/1.4G; 1/40s @ f/1.8; ISO 2800 (my niece's son and my brother-in-law)

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Corlan. I actually just sold my nikon 105vr because i preferred the slightly punchier color & bokeh on the ZF 100.
Hi Steve, on this one allow me to not totaly agree. The contest between the two lens is extremely close, fine results depend on your style of shooting with this focal range... bokeh on the Nikon is also fantastic, and IMO saturation varies substantially with processing software and technique. I'd agree with you that the Zeiss might have a slight edge there (on specific distances though), but it also has more CA issues, and don't allow 1:1. No AF of course, and no VR when you need it, so less flexible. I do love both, but results were close enough for me to make the other route around: keeping the 105VR... and complement it with the Zeiss 50M.

Truly, with just the Zeiss 21mm (28mm would be ok too), the only lens missing to cover 100% of my use would be the, er... 200mm VR. :eek:

Of course, as always, to each his own...
All of these are top notch anyway :)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Ha ha... I started removing CA from one of the photos, only to realise that it was reflections from the stage lighting :rolleyes: But obviously, perfect concert shots at big events are very hard to get. A perfect lens, like the 200/2.0 on an FX body from a dedicated shooting position perfectly located in front of the stage would be nice, but now we are talking dreams on so many levels that I can hardly count them :cry:
I was strictly referring to the last crop, on the vertical section of the drum the jpeg looks like there's a tiny bit of CA (and some spec HL on this version). As said earlier one of the great achievements in this series of yours is the relative lack of artefacts, truly remarkable considering the conditions and the equipment -very good, but potentialy improvable .

"Artistic Reality" is a good expression. I'll remember that. Twice per year, I do product shots at an improvised studio at a factory, with a mix of daylight, an abundance of light sources from the factory itself and my own strobes. Luckily, most of the photos are being used isolated on white, so I only have to concentrate on getting the product colours right. That was when I concluded that 4200K was a good compromise, but I also found that different materials and different colours reflect light differently. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch :lecture:
White background isolation is a great advantage for sure. As you say, "different materials and different colours reflect light differently" and when you have to shoot in uncontrolled situation it's often a nightmare in this regard. Then sometimes 4200K sounds like good to work with and allows for some latitude... for example on a recent gallery series with dim, mixed lighting, shot on a tripod with long exposures, temp revolves around 2700 to 3000K (!) to get the paintings colors right. :mad: :deadhorse:

I guess that's when the notion of Artistic Reality occured to me... :ROTFL:

Last edited:

shtarka1

Hi Steve, on this one allow me to not totaly agree. The contest between the two lens is extremely close, fine results depend on your style of shooting with this focal range... bokeh on the Nikon is also fantastic, and IMO saturation varies substantially with processing software and technique. I'd agree with you that the Zeiss might have a slight edge there (on specific distances though), but it also has more CA issues, and don't allow 1:1. No AF of course, and no VR when you need it, so less flexible. I do love both, but results were close enough for me to make the other route around: keeping the 105VR... and complement it with the Zeiss 50M.

Truly, with just the Zeiss 21mm (28mm would be ok too), the only lens missing to cover 100% of my use would be the, er... 200mm VR. :eek:

Of course, as always, to each his own...
All of these are top notch anyway :)
Corlan, I meant no disrespect to the 105Vr, because i truly Loved it! It was just a subjective thing & also needed money towards the M9! I also parted with the 24-70, 14-24 & 135DC to further fund the Leica! Im more of a Prime shooter now, although i"ll never get rid of the 70-200vr vers 1!
I just felt i didn't need 2 macros, so one had to go...:(

:)
Happy New Year C!

shtarka1

Matt, Thanks for sharing these special shots of the family! Love the one of your mom & her Christmas outfit! Cherish them, as i know you do! Happy & Healthy New Year to All!

shtarka1

One thing im going to practice more in 2010 is keeping things in perspective & learning how to Smile more....

My daughter Brenna:)

Stacy & Helmut Newton Jr.:D

My friend's, Laura & Chris! btw, i now own 4 different pair's of those!

m_driscoll

Thanks everyone. We did have a good time at Christmas.

Steve: I, too, sold a bunch of Nikon gear to finance my M9. But, I kept the 105 VR for the reasons Corlan noted (didn't have the Zeiss 100). It fits nicely "between" the 24-70 and the 70-200.

++1 for your resolution. Your photos already made me smile. Good start to a new (and better) year.

Cheers,

Lloyd

To all my great friends here on the Nikon forum. Thanks for all the encouragement and inspiration. Very, very much appreciated! Here's hoping you all have a wonderful New Year!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Great smiles, Steve. I particularly like the second one.

A wonderful New Year to you too Lloyd, and to everybody else on this forum.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
One thing im going to practice more in 2010 is keeping things in perspective & learning how to Smile more....
Now that's a good NY resolution... and beautifully illustrated :thumbs:
Sounds like the sketch artist and the various members of the "Newton MK10" tribe will run point on this one :)

A very Happy New Year to all of you!

shtarka1

Thanks everyone. We did have a good time at Christmas.

Steve: I, too, sold a bunch of Nikon gear to finance my M9. But, I kept the 105 VR for the reasons Corlan noted (didn't have the Zeiss 100). It fits nicely "between" the 24-70 and the 70-200.

++1 for your resolution. Your photos already made me smile. Good start to a new (and better) year.

Cheers,

Thanks Matt!
Great shots of beautiful people.

Have a great New Year, my friend.
Thanks & You 2 Double L!
Great smiles, Steve. I particularly like the second one.

A wonderful New Year to you too Lloyd, and to everybody else on this forum.
Thanks Jorgen! H.N.Y.!
Now that's a good NY resolution... and beautifully illustrated :thumbs:
Sounds like the sketch artist and the various members of the "Newton MK10" tribe will run point on this one :)

A very Happy New Year to all of you!
Thanks C! H.N.Y. :)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Still documenting the old ways in the area. Light was interesting a little bit before sunset yesterday on New Year's eve, so i decided to take a drive around shooting some of the many roadside crucifixes and other christian artefacts present in the region.

Got two shots to be submitted for publishing -of course the small posted jpeg kills a large chunk of the smooth gradient, a lot of details and and some light, but... what do you think?

Here's the first one:

straight C1 conversion with nothing but a tad of vignetting, no crop or photoshop except for bw and a slight curves layer

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
The other one, different place farther down the road, just before nightfall:

straight C1 conversion with nothing but a tad of vignetting, no crop or photoshop except for bw and a slight curves layer

shtarka1

Corlan, the first image is side lit beautifully! The second image is framed & lit exquisitely! The 2nd one is Powerful!