The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Lensbabies, slashers, sleeping nieces, Vigeland (?) sculpture, 1920's German movie posters, roses, and an elegant close up of a camera manual and reading glasses. Do i sense a theme? No! Very eclectic, bizarre and enjoyable posts. I'm going to bed. Cheers.
Sounds indeed like a thesaurus nightmare! :D

Thanks Lloyd! :)

I was just kidding, but I realize the joke was maybe a tad too cryptic ... :rolleyes:
Here it's known that you can't be "too cryptic".
At worst, you offer an eblightened, insightful critic leading to an unwalked path . :lecture:

:ROTFL: :deadhorse:

shtarka1

Steen, magnificent scale! Well done!

Corlan, at first i couldn't see the small photo & assumed it was a verse from the bible, but once clicked upon & saw that it was the magnification of the "almighty battery check", i got a real Charge out of it!:D:ROTFL::toocool:

BTW...Shallow under this context is Excellent!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
S5 with Nikkor 500mm f/8 Reflex

I found that 500mm on a DX body was rather useful on the golf course, but manual focusing can be a strain on the eyes after a few hours. So I checked the price of the Nikkor 500mm f/4.0, but found that $8,000 and around 4 kilograms may be a bit too much at the moment, and the next 20 or so years.

The Sigma 500mm f/4.5 is a steal of course, at less than $5,000 and just over 3 kilograms, but no VR and no AF with TC. But for less than $2,000, I can get the 700g Sony 500mm f/8, also a mirror lens, and an A700 body (with VR, or SSS), which would also give me a platform for the Zeiss 135mm f/1.8. If I can live with the nasty bokeh of the mirror lens.

Sometimes, like in the photo above, I can live with the nasty bokeh, and if I'm going to continue shooting sports, running around golf courses and car racing circuits, the weight difference would be very noticeable.

Choices, choices....

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, I think you'd make any lens look good. Nice shot and all that green makes me jealous!

Another playtime nugget:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Tim, I'm trying to get as much as I can out of every lens. Getting it right with a lens that most people have given up on is all the more satisfying :)

Those nugget shots are ultra cool. That's another one for the wall.

Here's one more with the Reflex.

S5 with Nikkor 500mm f/8 Reflex

m_driscoll

Jorgen: Even more great golf shots.

The weather here is rainy and crappy, gray and depressing, unseasonably warm and wet. Here's some wet grizzley bears. Cheers.

1. D3; 300mm f/4 w/TC-E14; 1/640s @ f/4; +1-1/3 EV; ISO 1600

2. D300; 200mm f/2; 1/800s @ f/3; -2/3 EV; ISO 1600

3. D300; 200mm f/2; 1/800s @ f/4; -2/3 EV; ISO 1600

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Lloyd

Jorgen: Even more great golf shots.

The weather here is rainy and crappy, gray and depressing, unseasonably warm and wet. Here's some wet grizzley bears. Cheers.
Awesome shots, Matt. At least those bears know how to handle this crappy winter weather... they sleep through it! :thumbup:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Morning sun portrait.

S5 with 300mm f/4 and Tamron 1.4x TC @ f/6.1

Not happy with the 300mm/Tamron TC/Fuji S5 combo btw. Not sharp enough.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Whew! Sure glad I don't have to struggle through winter with on of those umbrellas... what a pain! :cool:
It is, it is, and can you imagine what a challenge it is to keep the beer cold :lecture: ?

Totally great bear shots, Matt, particularly the last one. I would really like to get that close to wildlife.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nah, I think it's a bit too hot for Scotsmen here :)

Taking photos of golfers is a bit like taking photos of old Greek and Roman sculptures, except the golfers only stand still for a fraction of a second. Angles and poses are similar though.

S5 with 300mm f/4 and Tamron 1.4x TC @ f/7.1

m_driscoll

Lloyd/Jorgen/Osman: Thanks.

LLoyd: There's the missing 200mm f/2 again

Jorgen: It ocasionally looks pretty wild where you are! You were talking about "bigger" lenses. Have you ever looked at the newish Sigma 120-400. This was taken with it. I owned it for a week and then sent it back and bought an older 70-200mm f/2.8.

D300; Sigma APO 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM; 400mm; 1/640s @ f/8; ISO 250

Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Matt,
Yes, I've considered it, and came to the conclusion that the 150-500 is sharper, although larger and heavier. The problem I have with both of those (and the Nikkor 80-400) is that they expand when zooming. If I run down a golf course (or along a car racing circuit), there's always a chance of bumping into things, and if I forget to retract the expanding part of the lens, I'm afraid it may get damaged or stuck.

Still, it is an option, but when it comes to Sigma, I consider the 100-300 f/4 and 120-300 f/2.8 more interesting candidates. They don't have OS, but for this kind of photography, I mostly use a monopod anyway for the long focal lengths.

shtarka1

Matt, i could look at your Bear shot's all day! The Best!!

TR..Love the color & comp!

Jorgen...Excellent Golf! Love the Heineken Boat Image!