The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Lloyd

Wow! What a way to start the day! I agree, Jorgen, very much like sculpture.
Matt: The use of the now-missing 200/2 wasn't lost on me. And that now post is brilliant!
Steve: Breathtaking... truly.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
...i got a real Charge out of it!:D:ROTFL::toocool:
Good one Steve :D

And splendid colors on the macro shots above! :thumbup:
(same goes for Matt's butterfly!)

I like this. Very well executed, and it gave me some interesting ideas :)

That lens performs seriously well :p
Thanks Jorgen.
Agreed with the performance. There are other reasons, but being a regular 50mm prime shooter this lens (along with the 105VR) will keep me in the F-mount camp for some time. I feel it's underated because of its verstility it is not so obvious to tame -especially mixed with the vast range of ISO options offered by the D700/D3 family. There's an adaptation period (well at least in my case) to know what's what and make the good decisions on each shot to get the most out of it, but once you're getting a good practice it's probably among the very best 35mm piece of glass out there.

Last edited:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Wow, perfect composition, light, and processing.
Silver, indeed! :thumbs:

Btw, it's difficult to ascertain from the posted jpegs, but it sounds like you're getting serious Dynamic Range out of your kits lately, whether you shoot analog or digital... interesting.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Taking photos of golfers is a bit like taking photos of old Greek and Roman sculptures, except the golfers only stand still for a fraction of a second. Angles and poses are similar though.
Interesting viewpoint, good thing then they did not have photography at the time so they had to paint and sculpt similar snapshots, such as discoboles etc. in order to offer good stance and angle training to the modern photographer :)

What's striking in your whole series, as always, is feel of "perfect moment with ease" (not an elegant formulation, just what's coming to mind), stolen within a millisec lapse of time. Especially outstading with at best limited -if any- fps burst compared to the competition. Or super fast lenses...

Impressive job, really.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Wow, perfect composition, light, and processing.
Silver, indeed! :thumbs: (...)
+ 1
Matt what is the url-address of that Silver Efex Pro tutorial you mentioned you got from Lloyd ?
I usually do everything in NX, and I don't even use Photoshop.
Still, I'm starting to become a bit curious about this Silver Efex Pro thing ...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interesting viewpoint, good thing then they did not have photography at the time so they had to paint and sculpt similar snapshots, such as discoboles etc. in order to offer good stance and angle training to the modern photographer :)

What's striking in your whole series, as always, is feel of "perfect moment with ease" (not an elegant formulation, just what's coming to mind), stolen within a millisec lapse of time. Especially outstading with at best limited -if any- fps burst compared to the competition. Or super fast lenses...

Impressive job, really.
Thank you, Corlan. The whole exercise reminded me a lot about art school, where I had to sit for a whole day every week, sketching ancient sculptures. It was boring as.... you know what, but one obviously learns something by sitting there, copying the old masters, trying to find the best perspective in a crowded museum or gallery.

One thing I experienced during the tournament, is that good physical health helps a lot (All those hours in the gym paid off, once again :) ). It helps giving the strength to hold the camera for another few seconds or minutes, in case an interesting situation or motive appears out of the blue, and it helps towards the end of the day, when at hole 15, most of the photographers take the shortcut to 18, to rest while they wait for the final outcome.

Here's the last golf image from this tournament; Henrik Stenson preparing for his final put at hole 18, a put he eventually sunk, winning the hole, making his match a tie and giving the European team the victory with a one point margin.

D80 with Nikkor 300mm f/4.0 @ f/4.0