The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Khutzeymateen, British Columbia. The bear tried to bite the zodiac just after this shot. It jumped back when it's teeth bounced off. Cheers.
I can imagine the marketing guys for Zodiac making use of that, including something like "Bear bite resistance" in the brochure as a measure of the craft's toughness. Cool shot and story. :)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
We've had some wonderful cold and clear days this month. And the sun is regaining some strength. It ain't over yet though.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Corlan, i like the contrast,grain & surreal feel in both of these. It reminds me of a show i used to watch as a kid called "Dark Shadows"! I identify with your mood today..:cool:
Thanks Steve -i only have fragmentary knowledge of Dark Shadows, still it was quite impressive at the time. I've noticed that you often comment using cinema or tv based comparisons/references... i can relate to that, in fact i find that this connection with still photography and mutual influence though obvious is often overlooked or even disregarded. Well, that's a bit of a bold statement, but without doubt too vast of a topic to be elaborated on here... :)

+1 Hope the mood resolves positively, Corlan.
Thanks, my friend.

Btw, we don't see much of your work lately (maybe on the M forum), hope you'l come up with more soon :)

Last edited:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Corlan,
I suppose we get what we pay for, and this is a question of improper QC. The Tamron is still great value for money, at least the version without optical stabilisation. Here in Thailand, it's around a fifth of the price of the Nikkor, and since it's much lighter and smaller, it's very suitable for travelling. I think the version with stabilisation has a different optical formula, but it's also much more expensive.

To get small size and a reasonable price, I'm tempted by the Pentax K-x with the Pentax/Tokina 16-50/2.8, a combo that costs more or less the same as the Nikkor alone, but I'm tempted by so many things :rolleyes:

Another possibility would be the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 plus the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. To me, the longer/wider perspectives would be more useful than the lacking 16-28mm.
I think my last answer lead to confusion, what i initially meant was: "whether you hadn't need heavy PC with the 17mm on this shot, i'd get the lens instantly". :)

If not for your remark based on the original file, the sharpness discrepancy is not readily noticeable on web sized files like above.

That said, and talking avout choices, yeah the Tamron zoom stabilised version you talked about before seem attractive. As you know I wanted to try it with a S5, unfortunately luck was not on my side getting a good S5 so i eventually let the idea go. Then other requirements such as higher pixel count got in the way, so the next step for me in DSLR will be... a D3X
(after studying and trying extensively the Canon and Sony solutions as described a couple of weeks ago in a Sony vs. Nikon topic here).

Resolution is here, so is the terrific LV for products shots, ergonomy and operation are natural to me, using Nikon for so long, and i simply keep my favorite lenses. And the VF is a large improvement which is important since i mostly shoot manual focusing.

Sure, it might be less of a novelty soon, but i could care for less. Sure, it's big but after all equivalent to the D3 family or the D700 with the grip, which stays anyhow on the body most of the time (like it, plus i shoot a lot of vertical oriented stuff).

All in all my intention was to get the D700 replacement when available from Nikon but i got tired of waiting and moreover some of the features simply won't be there.

Video is not relevant to me, nor even wished for. I want a specialized photo camera, and dread any menu or ergonomics complications inevitably associated with a multitask piece of equipment. If one day i want video i'll get a used 5DMkII or even 7D (for video the huge crop is a plus) and a pair of well beaten MF lens, that should do the trick. Canon is really strong in the video field, not sure Nikon or Sony will be able to fill the gap and seriously compete with them for some time.

Well when all is said and done, opportunity knocked at the door so the D3X in the mail.

Of course your travel photography has totally different needs and requirements. Pentax looks interesting from what you tell us for some time. The Tamron+Tokina combo seems quite suited to your expectations, too. ANd of course maybe Fuji will come up with something cool, either in the F-mount or (more probably) in the m4/3 range. But maybe you're getting tired of waiting there, too. :eek: :)

shtarka1

Rest In Peace Greg!

We do a yearly fund raising ride for ALS at Golds Gym. The final pic in the series is the last image of my friend Big Greg, alive. He arrived safely in Newport ,R.I. with the pack but didn't make it home. He was a gentle giant who took care of his sick wife & Always had this smile on his face when you saw him. Always with us in Spirit. :salute:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Sad news Steve. Your friend Greg quite obviously enjoyed life, hopefully he lived his time fully and got the best out of it.
Sincere condolences to his family, and his friends.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interesting viewpoints, Corlan. I have to admit that the 7D is an interesting proposal for me. The video implementation, which I need, is the best and I can use all my OM primes with an adapter. Unfortunately, the perfect travel tele-zoom, the 70-200mm f/4, is white, and will stick out like a sore thumb anywhere I go. Showing off my gear is not my style, and not very smart even in some surroundings. Professional Canon gear is very easy to sell, also for crooks :(

I've even considered the possibility of getting one of those lenses spray painted black or dark grey, but it would take some effort, sanding it, finding a suitable primer and then spray paint it.

Another point for me is that I seem to be doing an increasing amount of sports photography. In this country, Nikon is not distributed by Nikon, in spite of them having their manufacturing here, but by a company called Niks Thailand. Unfortunately, the Niks people are never visible at big events, while Canon is usually present, both as a sponsor and with service people, loaners etc. So I have a Canon photo vest, cap etc. :rolleyes:

But, the ergonomics of Nikon cameras are in my view totally superior to those of Canon. The only camera that can really compete, is the Pentax K-7, a camera that unfortunately doesn't have their best sensor. The K-x has that.

So maybe I'll just end up buying a cheap D90, and see what turns up around the next corner. That was how I ended up with the D80; it was simply too cheap not to buy :LOL:

shtarka1

Do you actually mean.... "bear with me"?

:ROTFL: :deadhorse:

Another nice one, btw ;)
Good 1 C...:ROTFL:!

Matt, saw a special about these guys on tv yesterday & was thinking about your Bear exhibition & how I'd love to experience it myself. Another cool shot!