The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Even more fun with Pine trees and tractors. I'm finding that it's a tad difficult to carry a camera and a chainsaw while driving the tractor. It might be time to put down the saw. :p

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Jason. Answers in the quote.

If you look at the central leg of the ottoman, you can actually see that the lower left strobe is placed lower than the one to the right. The right one is partly shaded by the pillow. This is deliberate and one of the challenges; the furniture should be very evenly lit but still with small variations to avoid making it look flat and lifeless. There are lots of considerations regarding shadows and reflections, how strong and where.

One more thing: This is a little bit cold, I believe around 4300K. I did that to make the white chair stand out from the neutral background. To most people it will look white, while it is in fact blueish.
Hello Pete :ROTFL:, thanks for the answers.
:)

More seriously, this is really intestesting stuff. Many thanks for sharing.
Your method is definitely a mix between the "rules" and "real life experience" as you put it before, like a chef cooking his own recipe.

The part about white/black leather suprised me. Shooting usually small products (mostly much smaller than this kind of furniture with a few exceptions) and some with reflective surfaces, in my experience it's often quite the opposite: once HL are clipped, details are gone for good, though it has proven much easier to recover texture in the black areas. Guess the discrepancy depends on the kind of surface, and probably even more on the shooting distance. From up close (around 50cm) reflections are a different matter than from a several meters range.

Incidentally in February i have to shoot some furniture size, black piano lackered stuff. I did it before (using a simple one head + reflector setup) with decent results for catalogs and mid-size posters, but this time i'll pay a particular attention to this thanks to your remarks. Maybe i'll try a multi strobe setup too -but on lacker finish it often turns a little funky.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Just a little Color In The Dead Of Winter...
Great colors Steve!
Please tell us you don't actually have this kind of light now... here we're under layers of clouds since what seems forever :(

(colors in the second shot are so out of the ordinary that it almost look like you stacked two photos using one funny curve in raw processing for the leaf...)

shtarka1

Great colors Steve!
Please tell us you don't actually have this kind of light now... here we're under layers of clouds since what seems forever :(

(colors in the second shot are so out of the ordinary that it almost look like you stacked two photos using one funny curve in raw processing for the leaf...)
Corlan, Boston is as dreary & cold as the north pole! Just needed a bit of colorful life to spruce some of us up!

Nothing special on the 2nd shot other than some Zeiss 100 magic & a bit of NIK color efex warmth. Thanks C!