The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

m_driscoll

Time for a few ducks. These were taken in the U of W Arboretum (Washington Park). Right about where the expanded SR520 floating bridge will go. Thanks for looking. Cheers.

1. D300; 80-400mm; 80mm; 1/500s @ f/5.6; ISO 200

2. D300; 80-400mm; 400mm; 1/25s @ f/13; -1 EV; ISO 200

3. D300; 80-400mm; 80mm; 1/60s @ f/8; -1/3 EV; ISO 200

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

shtarka1

Steve: I'll echo the rest: great series! I especially like the PP and complexity in the last image. Haven't had a quahog in a long time.

Cheers.

Thanks Matt. Really like the saturation & reflections in your duck photos!
I haven't been convinced about the potential of the Noct until now, but these are great. It's unfortunate that the current state of technology probably prevents Nikon for making a modern version.
Thanks Jorgen. This is one of my favorite lenses. Prices are outrageous on flea-bay!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks, guys. It was a lot of fun.

Corlan, I practice hard to get on terms with the AF on the D80. The reason is that I've found that a D90 is probably my next camera, since it's very convenient to have two more or less identical bodies, and since I'll wait to buy a pro body until Nikon comes up with something that suits my needs better (a D700 with video and/or higher resolution or a D300 with video features as good as the 7D).

On this one, I used AF-C, and since there was a followspot on the dancers, which gave strong, contrasty light, I just needed to wait for a pose that had as many body-parts as possible in the same focal plane as her face.
Interesting. I almost never use AF-C because in the end i don't feel that it helps me getting more keepers. In fact, it's an unsettling exercise for me eventually i feel i get some shots that i would probably have missed with AF-S but then end up missing shots that i'd normally get. And of course all the -numerous- AF options, zone, number of focus points etc. might get the whole thing even less intuitive, compared to AF-S.

Then, as you said, the key is probably in practice.

(otoh, i'm lazy, so maybe i'll keep shooting 95% of my shots using manual focus) :angel:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Steve, very cool series above. I'll go with the guys and vote for #3... though i really like the light pattern on #6, as well as the outstanding silvery rendering of the last one. :)

Matt, nice ducks!
Talkiing about which, i happened to cross paths with a couple of those yesterday, here's a photo. Nothing special, light was weird, and i didn't have no fancy tele lens (plain 50mm and a bit of crop)...

Just a drake, with an attitude:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interesting. I almost never use AF-C because in the end i don't feel that it helps me getting more keepers. In fact, it's an unsettling exercise for me eventually i feel i get some shots that i would probably have missed with AF-S but then end up missing shots that i'd normally get. And of course all the -numerous- AF options, zone, number of focus points etc. might get the whole thing even less intuitive, compared to AF-S.

Then, as you said, the key is probably in practice.

(otoh, i'm lazy, so maybe i'll keep shooting 95% of my shots using manual focus) :angel:
Corlan,
I rarely use AF-C as well, except sometimes for sport, but this time, I had no choice. With the shallow DOF and the fast moving dancers only a few meters away, I simply couldn't lock focus and then get the shot in any other way. So I decided to get some much needed practice. You haven't seen all the OOF shots though :D

shtarka1

Steve, very cool series above. I'll go with the guys and vote for #3... though i really like the light pattern on #6, as well as the outstanding silvery rendering of the last one. :)

Thanks Corlan. Nice light bringing out Daffy's colorful appearance!

shtarka1

Betty Davis eyes?
"And she'll tease you,
She'll unease you
All the better just to please you
She's precocious, and she knows just
What it takes to make a pro blush
All the boys think she's a spy,
She's got Bette Davis eyes"!

:clap: Love it!

m_driscoll

Steve: Great dog and owner shots! Except for the third one - that's actually a kid. It is always a little amusing that dogs seem to match their owners. We used to have a Western Airedale. What does that tell you? Always looking forward to your posts.

Corlan: That Drake does look like it has an attitude.

Steve/Corlan/Osman: Thanks.

Cheers,

shtarka1

Steve: Great dog and owner shots! Except for the third one - that's actually a kid. It is always a little amusing that dogs seem to match their owners. We used to have a Western Airedale. What does that tell you? Always looking forward to your posts.

Corlan: That Drake does look like it has an attitude.

Steve/Corlan/Osman: Thanks.

Cheers,

How very true Matt! Heartfelt Thanks!