The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
This ain't art, at least not in the photographic sense. But we were all surprised when my little tractor was able to pick up this 26 foot length of tree. Since it was over the sawmill's limit of 24 feet in length, we had to pick it off the mill and turn it around to get the solid 26 foot 10 x 12 timber we wanted. Yeehaw!

T

tetsrfun

This ain't art, at least not in the photographic sense. But we were all surprised when my little tractor was able to pick up this 26 foot length of tree. Since it was over the sawmill's limit of 24 feet in length, we had to pick it off the mill and turn it around to get the solid 26 foot 10 x 12 timber we wanted. Yeehaw!
Nice piece of wood!!! What will you use it for??

Steve

Lloyd

Impressive work Tim (and good photography as well).

m_driscoll

Tim: Great shots. Not quite a clipper ship mast like its first growth forebearers. But, an awesome piece of wood in a world of glulams and composite beams. Use it for something artistic. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Lloyd

Here's another try at a B&W landscape. Two different PP processes. Thanks for any c & c. Cheers.

D3; 14-24mm f/2.8 (I think?); +2/3 EV; ISO 1400
Beautiful image Matt, and there are things I like about each version. I really like the overall sharpness and contrast of the second image best... the richer blacks and crisper details. However, I prefer the sky in the first image. The sky in the second has a bit of an edge or harshness I find a little distracting by comparison. (Truth be told, I probably wouldn't say that if I hadn't seen the two versions together.)

m_driscoll

Beautiful image Matt, and there are things I like about each version. I really like the overall sharpness and contrast of the second image best... the richer blacks and crisper details. However, I prefer the sky in the first image. The sky in the second has a bit of an edge or harshness I find a little distracting by comparison. (Truth be told, I probably wouldn't say that if I hadn't seen the two versions together.)
Lloyd: Thanks for the critique. I see exactly what you mean about the sky. It draws the eye too much. I'll see what I can do. The second shot had more PP in Lightzone. Cheers,

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Not many photos from me lately. Things are still a bit upside down, and my father is still in hospital, so that's where I spend most of my time as well.

Here's one from Singapore 2 weeks ago (I think).

D80 with 300mm f/4 @ f/5.0

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Nice piece of wood!!! What will you use it for??

Steve
The little building you see in the background is my house. It was originally built a few towns away as a timber framed Town Office and Post Office. That building and another (the barn that sometimes appears in these shots) were moved to the property in the 70s and 80s. We're planning an addition to the house and it too will be timber framed. The 26 footers will span the opening to keep the room free of support posts. Cookie (the guy sitting on the tractor) is also planning a small timber frame building so we're cutting to specific plans. Almost all the boards that result from the cutting of the timbers, and there are a lot, will be sold to cover the costs of the operation. In the end, the only investment will be our time.

p.s. Thanks for the positive comments gents!

p.p.s. I know this kind of thing is maybe not the focus of a forum, but it's been pretty absorbing and I'm finding the process fascinating. If you get tired of these shots, just let me know! :eek: