The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

David K

Workshop Member
An aspiring model/actress who wanted something that looked like it might be a movie poster. Nikon D3 and 300mm 2.8.

otumay

So many beautiful shots from all of you that I could barely find time to shoot from viewing your shots in awe... At last I took my D700 and 70-200/2.8 on a boat trip along the Bosphorus. This time I configured the camera so that I ended up with in-camera b+w jpegs as well.
I would like to present a few examples; comments and criticisms are most welcome...
Best regards,
Osman

m_driscoll

DavidK: Nice; but,. scary!

Jorgen: Nice, and not so scary.

Osman: Nice shooting. So these are the B & W jpegs as processed by the D700. Very good. The first and fourth are my favorites. The fourth's a nice valentine's day shot. Probably no such day in Turkey? Cheers,

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

otumay

Thank you Matt, I also liked the jpeg performance of D700. And yes, we do have St.Valentine's Day celebrations here. Personally, I find them and similar 'days' a bit commercial, but behave nicely nevertheless;)
Osman

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Fulton

Show off ! record waves at the Maverick what 25ft? Florida we get maybe one day a season above 10ft and are happy with 6ft. Great shots of the barrel. :thumbup:

Did you shoot from a pier or wall ..you had a good angle on the wave .

The golf shot is nice ... great position .

Still shooting the 200-400 Vr ? I am getting better with it ...but still don t much like it with the 1.4X .

T

tetsrfun

Fulton

Show off ! record waves at the Maverick what 25ft? Florida we get maybe one day a season above 10ft and are happy with 6ft. Great shots of the barrel. :thumbup:

"After a strong winter storm in the northern Pacific Ocean, waves can routinely crest at over 25 feet (8m) and top out at over 50 feet (15m). The break is caused by an unusually-shaped underwater rock formation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mavericks_(location)

Of course when I went there a few years ago, they had "record" small waves.

Steve

fultonpics

roger

i wish i was on a pier or wall--less of a (excuse me) barf-fest. the break is pretty far offshore, so you need to be on a jet ski or boat. it was the roughest trip out there in years. i shot a 400 2.8 which is pretty heavy and since we were moving around a challenge to keep straight. maybe you saw the press--the organizers aren't the brightest lights and set up their tent on the beach (rocks). that drew a bunch of spectators--well there is a big wall (as in rock cliff) right behind them, so of course a few large waves came in and knocked them over--broken legs, bloody faces...real nice.
glad i was far offshore.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Terrific job, Bob.
Guess ESPN or SI, CNN won't take long before publishing the wave shot from the golf course, too.

Last edited:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Osman - quite interesting try. IMHO it's one of your best Bosphorus series so far.
And yes, the seagull one is outstanding. All of them good, though.

Never seriously tried jpeg+bw out of camera myself, might give it a try then. Generally i like a tad more contrast for my own use... are the posted pics strictly -resized and possibly cropped- out of camera, or did you apply somme PP?

otumay

Osman - quite interesting try. IMHO it's one of your best Bosphorus series so far.
And yes, the seagull one is outstanding. All of them good, though.

Never seriously tried jpeg+bw out of camera myself, might give it a try then. Generally i like a tad more contrast for my own use... are the posted pics strictly -resized and possibly cropped- out of camera, or did you apply somme PP?
Thank you Corlan. As for the contrast, you are absolutely right. The only thing that I can say in defense may be that D700 jpegs lose some detail if contrast is increased; this was not an issue with Leica M8.
I did some levels correction in PS CS4, but that is all.
Best regards,
Osman