The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

leif e

Stuart! WOW! Those aurora pictures are stunning! Thanks for sharing!

This far south in Norway we rarely see the aurora borealis, and never in those dimensions.

leif e

Lloyd

Thank you Osman, Stuart and Steen. Much appreciated.

I agree with Leif, those aurora images are beautiful. My wife and I watched the slideshow several times through while having breakfast this morning.

Steen, my wife remarked how she's glad she's not that statue... some "parts" just don't take to being covered with snow! ;)

Stuart Richardson

Thank you both! It was a pretty spectacular night. I also did a 20 minute large format exposure and a couple of shorter 35mm exposures on fuji acros...these probably will not show the aurora, but I am still interested to see what if anything they show. It was a beautiful night, though it was -9C on the glacier...and windy. Down in the valley it was a balmy -5, but calm. For the 20 minute exposure I was actually lying in the grass just watching the stars and the last bits of the aurora. It was an amazing night.

And Steen, I love that shot of the statue. Something tells me she is regretting her choice to go topless on such a cold day.

Stuart Richardson

hahaha, I posted at the same time as Lloyd, and certainly with the same reaction. And thanks Lloyd, I am glad you both enjoyed it enough to watch more than once!

Lloyd

hahaha, I posted at the same time as Lloyd, and certainly with the same reaction. And thanks Lloyd, I am glad you both enjoyed it enough to watch more than once!
Thank you Stuart. The aurora is something we've seen a couple of times, but when we did it was not nearly so spectacular. Would love to see it from your latitude sometime. Thanks for sharing.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Stuart - here we seized the opportunity of your splendid slideshow to show in details and explain to the girls what an aurora was. Terrific night you had there, and great job :thumbup:

Lloyd - fwiw despite the effort the HDR doesn't work for me and can't really get how it'd improve the series. But obvously like other techniques such as IR, texture blending etc. the perception is quite depedant on the beholder. :)

Steen - no further comment. Ah well, maybe one question: did you try shoot the same with the focus on the main subject? :rolleyes:

T

tetsrfun

Thank you Stuart. The aurora is something we've seen a couple of times, but when we did it was not nearly so spectacular. Would love to see it from your latitude sometime. Thanks for sharing.
Seen in Utah? What color was it? The only time that I have seen aurora was one night in the Tetons; the curtains of light were dark red. I had assumed that this color was due to refraction in the atmosphere at lower latitudes as compared to the fantastic greens seen in Stuart's wonderful photos.

Steve

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Sorry, Corlan, it never occured to me :angel:
Unto the pure all things are pure ... :lecture:

Lloyd

Seen in Utah? What color was it? The only time that I have seen aurora was one night in the Tetons; the curtains of light were dark red. I had assumed that this color was due to refraction in the atmosphere at lower latitudes as compared to the fantastic greens seen in Stuart's wonderful photos.

Steve
Never seen it here in Utah myself, although I understand it has been. We saw it in central Alberta, Canada.

shtarka1

Lloyd...HDR shot has serious 3d quality & Killer Color!

Stuart....What Can I Say....Perfectly Shot & Magnificently Beautiful!

Steen...Snow Is Where It Should Be On Your "Snowman"/Woman!:)

Jason....Pretty Shot! Have A Safe Trip Home! Looking Forward To More Shots!

Thanks! I have a lot to catch up on! I love seeing all the shots everyone posts.

I probably took 85% of the shots with my CZ 21 2.8 at a hyperfocal distance. This is a totally new kind of shooting for me, so be kind :-D There are times I reallllyyyyy wished I had an M9 w/ a 28mm and a silent shutter tho. I'm really looking forward to compiling a nice lil collection out of this trip.

shtarka1

Jason, you've captured a moment of Life that speaks volumes about a people in a far away land. Like all your work, Well Done! Keep em coming!

leif e

HoHo, Corlan!
A lot of people here think of Swedes as square-headed and formal bores (I don´t). Well, we are the ones who get that bill in the mail - no choirs, no funny movies. :D And; loose at olympic cross country skiing :eek:
leif e