The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

carstenw

I forgot to say: my girlfriend has a D3000, and so getting the 70-300VR would allow me to wait with 70-200 and 300, and later when I have more money, I could pass the lens on to her. I think by then she might appreciate it, although so far, she is happy with the 18-55VR. The D3000 doesn't work all that well with non-AF-S lenses.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Steen, are those art gallery shots (great shots, by the way!) from Louisiana? I love that place, and used to go there at least once a year when I was still living in Denmark. I still go there often when I visit my family. Funny though, I don't recall seeing any *female* Giacometti statues there? (...)

Hey Carsten, great to hear that you are now landing on the Nikon board as well.
I have always admired your huge knowledge on every aspect of photography and your distinct points of view.
Looking forward to your contributions here.

You are right that my art gallery shots were from the Museum of Modern Art: Louisiana.
Louisiana has a collection of 24 works by the Swiss artist Alberto Giacometti and there are several female sculptures among them. They are wonderful.

Thank you for your kind words about the photos, and congrats with your D3 purchase !
Obviously a completely fabulous machine. I'm very envious. Maybe some day ... :angel:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Albert,
Very cute shot :thumbup:

Steen, are those art gallery shots (great shots, by the way!) from Louisiana? I love that place, and used to go there at least once a year when I was still living in Denmark. I still go there often when I visit my family. Funny though, I don't recall seeing any *female* Giacometti statues there?

Jorgen, two non-photo-related questions: 1) is your name really Jørgen, apart from the fact that it seems to be Thor, and 2) are you Danish or Norwegian? Some comments you have made had me in doubt. I *love* your photography, by the way. Your photos have a real unique look to them, and I instantly see when the shots are yours (the nice frame apart, which by the way, I intend to learn from :) It really helps the presentation, I feel). Tight framing and punchy but not exaggerated colours are a trademark.
Aaaah... Lousiana. I used to go there at least once a year as well when I lived in Oslo. The ferry down one evening, and back the next. Fabulous place. Some of the exhibitions there have been very important to my photography, particularly those featuring Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Salvador Dali and Henri Cartier-Bresson.

1) Yes, my name is Jørgen and it's Thor as well. That would be Thor Jørgen, but I mostly use the latter. The Jorgen is for international use, since only Danes and Norwegians have keyboards with "ø". 2) I'm Norwegian, but in my soul, I'm probably more Danish. If there is a next life, I'll live it in Denmark in the summer and Thailand in the winter :p

Thank you for your kind words about my photos. In many ways, you describe what I try to achieve, although I still have a long way to go. Luckily, there are countless drawers in my head, each of them containing a photo project that I want to explore. Lots of opportunities to learn and to improve :)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Completely fantastic, Lloyd !
That has to be the most three-dimensional panorama I ever saw from any system, including some impressive MFDB landscape results. Well done. Really.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My favourite restaurant needs some photos for their marketing. Normally, I try to avoid "work for food", since a luxury meal one day won't pay my rent the next. But with the cuteness factor of the waitresses in that place, who can say no?

This is a demanding job, and since most of it will have to be done before and after hours, it will be going on for a while. Let's start with an empty plate, and see where we end up :)

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 38mm and f/5.6

carstenw

Spanish Valley area, just south of Moab, Utah.

D3, 70-200/2.8 @ 165mm f13, ISO 200 (8 frame stitch).

View attachment 29060
It's funny, I know that almost all details about the two shots are different, but when I see this pano, I think of "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico, 1941". Very nice!

I also really love your family portraits and stories, by the way. They really capture something that no one else could do in the same way. The hunting trip with your father was very interesting, for example.

P.S. can you tell I am a new-comer to Nikon who just read through all 78 pages of this thread? :)

carstenw

1) Yes, my name is Jørgen and it's Thor as well. That would be Thor Jørgen, but I mostly use the latter. The Jorgen is for international use, since only Danes and Norwegians have keyboards with "ø".
Well, Alt-O will do it on any Mac, just like Alt-' gives æ and Alt-A gives å. I have no idea what these characters render like on a PC though :) I am hoping that the international-latin header of this forum allows them to render correctly.

2) I'm Norwegian, but in my soul, I'm probably more Danish. If there is a next life, I'll live it in Denmark in the summer and Thailand in the winter :p
Why go for Denmark? Just skip the small steps and become Italian right away :D

carstenw

Hey Carsten, great to hear that you are now landing on the Nikon board as well. I have always admired your huge knowledge on every aspect of photography and your distinct points of view. Looking forward to your contributions here.
Well, "distinct points of view" is about the most flattering you could describe this aspect of me :D Thanks for the warm welcome, I look forward to contributing here. Sadly, it looks like I may have overextended my budget a little, so I will probably have to make do with the ZF21 and 105/2.5 for a while. Not exactly hardship, but I had hoped for at least one fast AF zoom to get my daughter in motion. Hopefully I will soon be able to add that.

Thank you for your kind words about the photos, and congrats with your D3 purchase ! Obviously a completely fabulous machine. I'm very envious. Maybe some day ... :angel:
I wish for you that it will become possible soon. In the end it is all a question of compromises and priorities. I have no car, for example, and no expensive stereo. That frees up a lot of money right there.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well, Alt-O will do it on any Mac, just like Alt-' gives æ and Alt-A gives å. I have no idea what these characters render like on a PC though :)
... and why didn't I learn this umpteen years ago? Oh well... thanks for the information. That saves me some hassles.

As for PCs; Windows 7 is ten times better than XP, but the improvements cover just a tiny fraction of the easiness of a Mac. They simply haven't understood how non-programmers think.

carstenw

In case you also want to write German (or in some cases: Swedish and/or Norwegian): Alt-U gives umlaut, followed by the letter to apply it to: Alt-U U will give ü, Alt-U O will give ö, Alt-U A will give ä. Alt-S will give ß.

In french, Alt-E give accent aigu, followed by the letter: Alt-E E gives é, for example. Alt-U I gives ï. Alt-` gives accent gràve, followed by the letter: Alt-` A gives à, for example. Alt-I gives accent circonflexe, followed by the letter. Alt-I A gives â, for example. Alt-C gives ç.

That's the end of the languages I speak (at least a little, I am not so fluent in French), so I don't know any more. I am sure there are shortcuts for Spanish diacriticals as well as possibly for eastern-European letters.

I prefer using an international English keyboard, since I write in all the above languages from time to time, and the local keyboards can be very different (vis the French keyboard!), and it can be hard to access German from a Danish keyboard, for example. These shortcuts allow me quick access to all the letters I need.

I am not particularly a Windows fan, but I find Vista quite okay when it is set up nicely on a proper machine, and Windows 7 is even a bit nicer. I use them at work, since I develop, and Visual Studio is just such a good development environment.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
In case you also want to write German (or in some cases: Swedish and/or Norwegian): Alt-U gives umlaut, followed by the letter to apply it to: Alt-U U will give ü, Alt-U O will give ö, Alt-U A will give ä. Alt-S will give ß.

In french, Alt-E give accent aigu, followed by the letter: Alt-E E gives é, for example. Alt-U I gives ï. Alt-` gives accent gràve, followed by the letter: Alt-` A gives à, for example. Alt-I gives accent circonflexe, followed by the letter. Alt-I A gives â, for example. Alt-C gives ç.
Großartig. Dann ist es möglich alle Europeische sprachen zu schreiben :thumbs:

Lloyd

It's funny, I know that almost all details about the two shots are different, but when I see this pano, I think of "Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico, 1941". Very nice!

I also really love your family portraits and stories, by the way. They really capture something that no one else could do in the same way. The hunting trip with your father was very interesting, for example.

P.S. can you tell I am a new-comer to Nikon who just read through all 78 pages of this thread? :)
Welcome to the Dark Side, Carsten. I've always enjoyed your comments on the Leica thread, and we're honored by your contribution here as well.

Thank you for your comments on my images. Greatly appreciated. I'll have more to post from Moab over the next couple of days. I hope they'll be worth a look. :thumbup:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Imagine a concert where all the 5,000 or 10,000 or whatever in the audience know all the texts, and sing them so loudly that you hardly hear the artist at all. Then it doesn't matter if you like the music or not. It's just life enlarged.

Then, there's this silly, old foreigner, who neither knows the texts nor how to sing, who navigates his way all the way up to the stage to take a photo. Great fun!

S5 with Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AIS @ f/2.8

Last edited:

Lloyd

Corona Arch this morning.

Located about 10 miles southwest of Moab, this free standing arch is over 150 feet high, and its opening spans 160 feet at the widest point.

D3, 28-70/2.8 60mm f10, ISO 200:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Corona Arch this morning.

Located about 10 miles southwest of Moab, this free standing arch is over 150 feet high, and its opening spans 160 feet at the widest point.
Very beautiful, Lloyd. What is the blue colour on the mountain?

Thank you both for your kind comments.

Last edited: