The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Lloyd

More from Corona Arch:

(Obligatory postcard shot) A little later that morning, and from the opposite side:

D3, 14-24/2.8 @ 24mm f13:

Did I say it was pretty big? Well, maybe not so much:

Actually... Here's my wife at the base of the arch:

D3, 70-200/2.8 VRII @ 70mm f13:

One more, and I'll move on.

D3, 28-70/2.8 VRII @ 70mm f2.8:

m_driscoll

Carsten/Corlan/Steve/Lloyd: Thanks.

Corlan: There's some nice old cabin cruisers in this marina. As I type this, i can see the Westwood (late lunch break).

Lloyd: Some day. The new Moab shots are great. The third shot with your wife at the base of the arch really describes the scale of these thing. Very cool.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

Here's a couple that I really struggled with. I'm posting the B&W's too; but, I believe that they're too harsh (as are the color shots). The lighting and time of day sucked. Maybe, they're irredeemable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW the little power boat is named "Size Matters". Apparently not much. Cheers, Matt.

D700; 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII; 200mm; 1/1000s @ f/13; ISO 640

shtarka1

More from Corona Arch:

(Obligatory postcard shot) A little later that morning, and from the opposite side:

Actually... Here's my wife at the base of the arch:

One more, and I'll move on.

D3, 28-70/2.8 VRII @ 70mm f2.8:
These 2 are my Favorites Lloyd! Beautiful Athlete!:)
Here's a couple that I really struggled with. I'm posting the B&W's too; but, I believe that they're too harsh (as are the color shots). The lighting and time of day sucked. Maybe, they're irredeemable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW the little power boat is named "Size Matters". Apparently not much. Cheers, Matt.

These 2 for me Matt....So Nice!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Here's a couple that I really struggled with. I'm posting the B&W's too; but, I believe that they're too harsh (as are the color shots). The lighting and time of day sucked. Maybe, they're irredeemable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (...)
Matt, if you have Capture NX2 you could try this:

White Balance: Daylight

Picture Control: D2Xmode1

Maybe the slightly changed color rendering will work better with the somewhat harsh light ?

Lloyd

Another shot from along the Colorado River yesterday morning. Slightly different framing from the prior shot. (I tried a processing suggestion from Steen, leaving the color balance on Daylight, which makes sense, since I would have used daylight film for this in "the old days". Also, I tried to open up the shadow areas just a little more than in the prior shot.

p.s., I couldn't avoid the branches without setting up in the river, which in the near darkness, and given the very muddy water, so that the depth was very uncertain, didn't seem like a smart idea.

D3, 28-70/2.8 @ 70mm f8, ISO 200

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nice, warm 7 o'clock in the morning colors, Lloyd.
A rather dramatic improvement I think. At least on my screen.
Beautiful image. I'm fine with the branches in the foreground.

Lloyd

Nice, warm 7 o'clock in the morning colors, Lloyd.
A rather dramatic improvement I think. At least on my screen.
Beautiful image. I'm fine with the branches in the foreground.
Thank you, Steen. For the comment, and the suggestion. Much appreciated on both counts.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Matt, if you think the contrasts are too harsh, here is what I'd do (using PS CS3/4):

Adjusting the RAW file in ACR:
Increase recovery (default is 0) and/or decrease blacks (default is 5).

Adjusting the jpeg file in PS:
Choose Image - Adjustments - Curves. Choose one of the contrast presets in the drop-down menu. Inverse the S-shape of the curve, so that the highlights are getting darker and dark areas brighter.

I also tried to convert the first colour photo with PS b&w conversion (Image - Adjustments - Black & White), and by keeping the standard settings, got a less contrasty results with much more detail in the shadow areas. I can post it here if you want.

However, there are two strange things in that first photo:
There's something happening in the water in the foreground, some reflections that either your camera or the jpeg conversion didn't like. In addition, there's banding in the clouds. Are these shot in RAW or jpeg?

The photos are very nice btw., at least apart from these technical niggles.

m_driscoll

These 2 for me Matt....So Nice!
Steve: Thanks.

Matt, if you have Capture NX2 you could try this:
White Balance: Daylight
Picture Control: D2Xmode1
Maybe the slightly changed color rendering will work better with the somewhat harsh light
Steen: I gave up on NX2, but Lightroom 2 has some different ACR camera profiles and similar settings. I'll try those.

Matt, if you think the contrasts are too harsh, here is what I'd do (using PS CS3/4):

Adjusting the RAW file in ACR:
Increase recovery (default is 0) and/or decrease blacks (default is 5).

Adjusting the jpeg file in PS:
Choose Image - Adjustments - Curves. Choose one of the contrast presets in the drop-down menu. Inverse the S-shape of the curve, so that the highlights are getting darker and dark areas brighter.

I also tried to convert the first colour photo with PS b&w conversion (Image - Adjustments - Black & White), and by keeping the standard settings, got a less contrasty results with much more detail in the shadow areas. I can post it here if you want.

However, there are two strange things in that first photo:
There's something happening in the water in the foreground, some reflections that either your camera or the jpeg conversion didn't like. In addition, there's banding in the clouds. Are these shot in RAW or jpeg?

The photos are very nice btw., at least apart from these technical niggles.
Jorgen: They were shot in RAW. I might have have inadvertently screwed something up. I jumped back and forth between programs and didn't follow my usual sequence.

Lloyd: Thanks again.

Thanks everybody for the comments. I'm going to try pp'g these images again tonight. Cheers, Matt.

This one goes back a few years. It was right after I picked up the camera after a 25 year absence away... Namibia

You can see the heat distortion. It was at least 115f out that day, maybe more. Here this poor guy only wanted some shade, and it was the only tree for miles.

LLoyd... if that's what you get out on a Sunday stroll, I wanna be where you are. Beautiful. I actually like the branches!

And your wife, Lloyd... Ironman Canada? I had to drop outta that one with a wounded ankle. I was supposed to be up in Penticton last August. I've retired from Ironman... each time I raced, something broke. Sticking with bikes where I can only have catastrophic crashes at 35+ mph! Ha!!! :D Where is she racing this year?

Lloyd

LLoyd... if that's what you get out on a Sunday stroll, I wanna be where you are. Beautiful. I actually like the branches!

And your wife, Lloyd... Ironman Canada? I had to drop outta that one with a wounded ankle. I was supposed to be up in Penticton last August. I've retired from Ironman... each time I raced, something broke. Sticking with bikes where I can only have catastrophic crashes at 35+ mph! Ha!!! :D Where is she racing this year?
Hi Jason, Thanks. We do feel pretty lucky to be in this part of the country.

Yes, we've done Canada 4 times... 19 Ironman finishes in all. Last time in Canada was 2007. We doing local races only this year. We'll be at Ironman St. George May 1st to support some friends (and take some pictures :)), but nothing long this year. As for crashes, my worst in a long time was last year... riding back to the car after a race, I crashed and broke my collarbone, my shoulder, and a couple of ribs... and I was only going about 10 mph!!

We're actually taking a couple of years off from long course triathlon. I've had some health problems (besides the crash), that I've been working through. Getting better slowly, so it's all good.

My wife ran the NYC marathon in November, and is now training for Boston next month. We were in Moab for her to run a half marathon as a tune up race. (She was second in her age group, missing first by 20 seconds), and 30th out of 1942 overall. Not bad considering no taper, a hard tempo run of 10 miles last weekend, etc. Her only real goal was to run an average of 10 seconds per mile faster than her Boston goal tempo, and she was right on the mark.

This year she's running a few local tri's (as will I if I can), a few road races, and a couple of trail ultras.

Last edited:

Lloyd

This one goes back a few years. It was right after I picked up the camera after a 25 year absence away... Namibia

You can see the heat distortion. It was at least 115f out that day, maybe more. Here this poor guy only wanted some shade, and it was the only tree for miles.
Nice shot... very nicely composed. I feel sorry for the poor guy in that heat!