The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks guys for the overly kind comments.
I agree with Jorgen on the green one which came out surpringly good out of the box (but it's the first time i was trying one of these "greens with strong light" with the D3X).

Agreed too, Matt, i've heard the last mutation turned them into ninja style bugs, with an attitude. I inted to keep my distance and buy a TC-40 right away (or is it 30 ? :confused:)

Slimpickins' shots are great, love the subtle tones in the color versions in this set.

Jorgen- Interesting PJ set. Don't know anything about the situation, is the Red color for protestors over there a traditional thang?
I second Steve re the Red Wheels. Besides great subject and composition, the IQ on this one is incredible, i keep looking at the chrome reflection in the pavement. Always wonder how you achieve this kind of the results on relatively fast moving subjects with, say, "not-so-specialized" gear. Well, guess i'm in need of a workshop... maybe one day down the canals :)

Jason- serious camera setup, indeed!
Btw i know that tripods without center colums are supposedly superior performance wise, but for the life of me i cannot imagine having to deal with the three legs with the camera attached -or constantly having to take the camera off and on the tripod- when having to level/change height for a shot. Or did i miss something? :confused: :eek:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen- Interesting PJ set. Don't know anything about the situation, is the Red color for protestors over there a traditional thang?
Thank you for your kind words, both of you.

About the red colour: It started with the yellow protest movement that was against the ousted prime minister, Thaksin. They probably chose yellow because it's the colour of the king, but by making it political, they kind of destroyed the colour for normal people (Many people, particularly in Bangkok, used yellow shirts on Mondays out of respect for the king).

After a government supported by the yellows came to power, Thaksin's supporters took to the streets wearing red. I suspect that the colour is chosen for marketing reasons. It's the same colour as some popular English football teams (Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal), and it's something the population in rural areas, where Thaksin has most of his support, could easily identify with.

Thaksin is living in exile for the time being, and he's been charged and convicted for corruption. More than $1 billion of his fortune has been taken by the government as a result of this, and this conviction (and the money) is an important part of the disagreement. Although he did a few things for the farmers all over Thailand, something nobody had done before, there's little doubt that he brought corruption to a new level in Thailand, and his campaign against poverty was first and foremost directed towards his own bank account.

He's still a powerful man though, and he makes a lot of problems for the current government, a government that is far to careful not to do anything wrong, and thus doing very little.

The colour to wear to show respect for the king at the moment is pink. Many people wear it, particularly on Tuesdays (pink is the colour of Tuesday and the colour of King Chulalongkorn, a legendary king who lived 100 years ago) and Wednesdays, since the king had a pink jacket on a Wednesday he left the hospital where he has spent most of the last six months. The pink colour is said to be good for the king's health.

m_driscoll

Matt: this is gorgeous. besides the imagery, I love violins.

Well done.
rayyan: Thanks. I've taken a lot of photos of this band. She's and excellent violin player and a sultry, sexy, blues singer.

The Reds have taken to the streets of Bangkok again, trying to force the prime minister to resign. He won't of course, but it's serious enough for a state of emergency in Bangkok and the surrounding provinces declared tonight, after the parliament was attacked.

Yesterday, the Reds were touring the streets of Bangkok in their vehicles. As serious as the situation is, it isn't without a certain entertainment value, at least from a photographic point of view.
Jorgen: Great photos! Nothing like a protest to provide some good ops. The Thai version does seem especially entertaining. I read in the last Economist (which won't be available in your neck of the woods) about the political turmoil and the succession. Interesting times for you ahead. Stay safe.

Corlan, nice "wildlife" shots! Maybe one day when Matt grows a pair, he can get some macro shots of his bears! :D

Matt, that 16mm fish is great! I think there's a 9 also, and I'm not thinking of the DX version. It looks like you have a coffee mug attached to the front of your camera. There was one for sale at Calumet that I contemplated. Way cool and fun.
Jason: If I had that lens, i could have used it. We were quite close at times: Matt/zodiac/4' of water/grizzly cub (mother was about 30' away). It is a fun lens.

You call that a camera, mate? Now THAT'S is a camera!

Was down in St. Louis with my wife's family. My brother in law's got a couple large format camera's so we grabbed his SINAR kit and went down the flooding Mississippi River and took some pictures, then developed the negatives. Ahhh... the good ol days!

and our intended target mimicking what we looking for out of the SINAR
Jason: Nice. I could have taken that camera to photograph bears?

Great set Jorgen! This One Is My Favorite!
Jorgen: +1. Mine too!

Denver Pyle making a comeback!:D Excellent Set!
Steve: Thanks. Don't know why he was giving me that look? He's not even with the band.

Agreed too, Matt, i've heard the last mutation turned them into ninja style bugs, with an attitude. I inted to keep my distance and buy a TC-40 right away (or is it 30 ? :confused:)

Slimpickins' shots are great, love the subtle tones in the color versions in this set.
Corlan: You should get yourself some pepper spray just in case.

Thanks. I tried to bring them down from my usual predilection towards over-saturation. Of course, I just bought several rolls of Fuji Velvia!

Looks like Chicago lost the sky line today...

Jason: Nice capture and PP.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jorgen for the thorough information.
Apparently quite a confusing situation, but at least you know you have a lot of colors still out there to be documented with your camera. :)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks. I tried to bring them down from my usual predilection towards over-saturation. Of course, I just bought several rolls of Fuji Velvia!
Suits the street and skin tones just fine.
Can't remember the SW you use as RAW converter?

Velvia?
A bit larger than life, but hey who's complainin? :)

m_driscoll

Flowers, characters, and asparagus. Seattle's Pike Place Market. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

1. D3; 28mm f/1.4; 1/60s @ f/2.5; +1/3 EV; ISO 400

2. D3; 24-70mm f/2.8; 24mm; 1/40s @ f/4; +1/3 EV; ISO 400

3. D3; 24-70mm f/2.8; 60mm; 1/40s @ f/4; +1/3 EV; ISO 400

shtarka1

Matt.....What A Face!!!! The Whole Seen Is Like Something Out Of A Kubrick Flick! The Background, Processing, IQ...Man I Love This!:thumbs::cool:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Great photo Matt, just great :thumbs:

Here's another red one:

S5 with Nikkor 70-300 ED @ 155mm and f/8

S5 with Nikkor 70-300 ED @ 220mm and f/5.6

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Another Pike Place Market shot (What else!). Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

D3; 24-70mm f/2.8; 1/50s @ f/5.6; +1/3 EV; ISO 400
Matt, this tops your market shots so far. Excellent photography, colour and b&w equally good :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

The red feet clappers:
The yellow shirts, who occupied the international airport for a week some 16 months ago, and managed to overthrow a previous government, used yellow, hand shaped clappers to applaud the endless speaches. The red shirts obviously have to use red clappers, but there's another, very important symbolic effect using feet. Anything to do with feet in this country is considered more or less taboo. The feet should never be pointed at anyone or raised anywhere near the height of one's head. Using feet clappers shows that these guys aren't afraid of challenging the ancient, and sometimes obsolete, rules and traditions that govern this country.

The farmers, who represent a very large portion of the population, have always been discriminated upon, and many Bangkokians mean, and even say in public, that they (the farmers) should only have limited voting rights, since they are ignorant and suspectible to corruption and election fraud. Election fraud is very widespread here, and a vote usually costs around $15, but from a western democratic point of view, those opinions are obviously totally unacceptable. People are btw. not electable to pairlament unless they have a university degree, which excludes most of the rural population from being elected. A degree can easily be bought, but that requires money, which most of the farmers don't have.

Last edited:

m_driscoll

Jorgen: Thank you. It's one that I missed at first pass through the shots. This forum is also helping me to improve my PP skills.

Very interesting about the feet. I now remember reading about the pointing of the feet. Using the paddles as a deliberate affront to authority is clever. I've also read that the reds may have more support in the city then people think (Economist again).

Cheers, Matt