The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

difficult to tune the nikon raw file in Lightroom

MHC

I found it very difficult to get a satisfactory result in Lightroom everytime when doing with the nikon raw file. Never get a similar color tone expecially for people's skin tone when compared with the jpg file.

This picture was taken in raw and pp in Lightroom. The place is Lawry's.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
FWIW, I've completely abandoned LR for my Nikon RAW files and switched to C1 Pro. I tried it on a whim and went back through old Nikon shots I had done previously in LR. A lot of the files I had hoped would work in LR (and dismissed as "misses") now looked a lot better in C1. I like the catalog feature in LR but now, with the exception of a small Pentax underwater cam I use for jpeg-only shots, Leica and Nikon go through C1.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I found it very difficult to get a satisfactory result in Lightroom everytime when doing with the nikon raw file. Never get a similar color tone expecially for people's skin tone when compared with the jpg file.

This picture was taken in raw and pp in Lightroom. The place is Lawry's.

While you might get a better answer from C1 or Nx2 this seems easier to solve. Unless you import with auto white balance(not recommended) these are the color settings that were determined by the camera. LR will affect how color is rendered ..but this will be seen in shades and saturation not so much in temp and hue.

This file has two issues ....one....its much too warm and two...the face looks under exposed. If this is a high iso file under exposure is a killer .

The color temp can be adjusted easily in LR but if its underexposed then it will be difficult to correct the face.

Comparisons to Jpegs will not help much...I would work first on getting it close in the camera and then on the LR settings. When we kick around using C1 or Nx2 its about solving specific problems and getting the last 10% out of a file .

Just my POV others may have better thoughts.