The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

24-70 f2.8 zoom

gromitspapa

Everyone listed on pricegrabber.com shows having it in stock, not that that means they'll really have it. Check a seller's rating on resellerratings.com and be sure to buy a US version from an authorized USA dealer to get the 5 year warranty (assuming you live in the US).

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
anyone know who might have one in stock? B&H, Adorama are out,
BH had them earlier this week...they even had D3 s yesterday. I found one by posting to fred miranda under the Nikon thread. I ve done this for 3 hard to get Nikon lenses and each time someone pointed me to a small local dealer that had one in stock. Never had to wait even a week. Also normally when BH gets them in stock someone posts on FM in the Nikon area. You will be pleased this is really a sweet lens.

atanabe

anyone know who might have one in stock? B&H, Adorama are out,
Local Nikon dealer has both the 14-24 and 24-70 in stock. He has been selling Nikon since 1976 and supplies the local newspaper (Sac Bee) with their gear. He even has a D3 to demo (drool) over.

Action Camera - Roseville, CA (916) 786 2288 Dale is the owner.

jlm

Workshop Member
adorama got 10 in today (still on the loading dock when I was there) and i have snagged one, due to pick it up this afternoon

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I've been messing around with one this weekend on the D300. It's a marvelous lens. Nice range on the D300 also ... 36-105mm.

Kurt

woodyspedden

I've been messing around with one this weekend on the D300. It's a marvelous lens. Nice range on the D300 also ... 36-105mm.

Kurt
I use mine on both the D300 and the D3 and the results could not be more pleasing. An expensive lens by Nikon standards but no problems by Leica standards. In combination with the 14-24 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8 and a 1.4x extender you have a three lens kit that gets 97% of the images you (statistically) want and need.

Love it
Woody

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I use mine on both the D300 and the D3 and the results could not be more pleasing. An expensive lens by Nikon standards but no problems by Leica standards. In combination with the 14-24 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8 and a 1.4x extender you have a three lens kit that gets 97% of the images you (statistically) want and need.

Love it
Woody
Add the 105VR and you've covered another 2% :grin:

I confess that my camera outfit with the D3 includes this set of lenses and it's a weighty combo to drag around with you but with four lenses you're pretty much covered for everything. The 24-70 is an excellent lens with a true 3D character. I've been surprised however how much I've used the 14-24 though.

David K

Workshop Member
Woody,
That may be true but this is not a group that stops at 100%. I suspect that most folks here have that 90+% covered in more than one system. I haven't done the math but I'd guess I have somewhere between 500-700% covered and still not done...

woodyspedden

Woody,
That may be true but this is not a group that stops at 100%. I suspect that most folks here have that 90+% covered in more than one system. I haven't done the math but I'd guess I have somewhere between 500-700% covered and still not done...
You are a beauty David.

I have the 105 and 200 Macros and my 24 PC Arrives on Monday so I am now well over 100% (flawed math but good impact)

Woody

David K

Workshop Member
Hey Woody,
Picked up my PC-E 24 today and tried it out with David down at Dale. Sweet lens and should be perfect for what I want to do with it. Not as sharp wide open as the 14-24 @24 or the 24-70 @24 but it catches up as you stop down. Manual focus no problem thanks to bright viewfinder and focus confirmation which is dead on. Some local photographer stopped by the shop, checked our images and bought the last remaining lens on the spot. Look forward to hearing your impressions once you have some time to play with it.

woodyspedden

Hey Woody,
Picked up my PC-E 24 today and tried it out with David down at Dale. Sweet lens and should be perfect for what I want to do with it. Not as sharp wide open as the 14-24 @24 or the 24-70 @24 but it catches up as you stop down. Manual focus no problem thanks to bright viewfinder and focus confirmation which is dead on. Some local photographer stopped by the shop, checked our images and bought the last remaining lens on the spot. Look forward to hearing your impressions once you have some time to play with it.
David

Good to hear that the lenses arrived at Dale as that is where i bought mine. So it should have been sent on Friday to arrive on Monday in Colorado. I am really looking forward to trying it.

Woody

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Woody,

Your lens is indeed en route. FedEx should be knocking on your door by 10:30am Monday.

I think you'll enjoy it. We had a good time playing with David K's here at the shop. We figured out that shifting from one extreme to the other horizontally, we were able to get the exact same coverage left to right (after stitching) that we got with the 14-24 at 14mm. Minus any distortion, of course. I'm seeing some great applications for this lens.

David

David K

Workshop Member
Woody,

Your lens is indeed en route. FedEx should be knocking on your door by 10:30am Monday.

I think you'll enjoy it. We had a good time playing with David K's here at the shop. We figured out that shifting from one extreme to the other horizontally, we were able to get the exact same coverage left to right (after stitching) that we got with the 14-24 at 14mm. Minus any distortion, of course. I'm seeing some great applications for this lens.

David
Quick tip... we got best results shooting in manual mode to avoid changes in exposure when shifting.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hey Woody, that kit you described is exactly what I have (14-24, 24-70, 70-200 VR, plus the 1.4 extender) and the 24 TS will be here next week. The ZF 100/2 rounds out the kit, and covers everything I need. I have been back and forth to Thailand to work with my teacher (but never take camera, and hence never shoot there, so no images). He will start a two-year solo retreat May 8, so I will have more time to be here (and to shoot). Life is good.

Are you guys shifting the body or the lens for these stitches?

and to the OP, I think brightscreen.com would be worth a call (Tennessee). I got all my Nikon gear from Jim at RRP, and his service is great. He has D3s, D300s, and the elusive BL-3 battery cap in stock for sure, and should have the 24–70.

woodyspedden

I got my D3 from Jim Lakey at Brightscreen and as always he is a pleasure to deal with.

But David Farkas at Dale Labs in Florida is my #1 dealer of choice. He didn't have the D3 when I was buying (and of course I can't wait five minutes) but throughout my M and R experiences and now the nikon stuff eg 24PC etc David is still my gold standard for a dealer. JMHO and YMMV

Woody