The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D700 ISO setting

jlancasterd

As a very new owner of a D700 I have been delighted with the quite remarkably 'clean' images it produces at high ISO.

Given this exemplary performance, what ISO setting do other owners of this camera use as their 'normal' setting? I'm thinking of using ISO 400, but could be persuaded to go higher...

simonclivehughes

John,

Not sure exactly what you mean by "normal", but I set my auto-ISO upper limit to 1600. I always try to shoot at the lowest ISO (200) though, but I'm not worried if it goes upward on the D700.

Cheers,

jlancasterd

John,

Not sure exactly what you mean by "normal", but I set my auto-ISO upper limit to 1600. I always try to shoot at the lowest ISO (200) though, but I'm not worried if it goes upward on the D700.

Cheers,
Thanks Simon.

By 'normal' ISO I meant what setting you would normally use for a frontally-lit, outdoor scene in sunlight.

I'm not used to using auto-ISO - perhaps I should try it.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I have been using auto-ISO to the upper limit of 6400. No worries at all. I am extremely happy with high ISO performance even at 6400.

Kind regards,

Terry

I've sold my D700 but I used Auto ISO all the way up to 6400 and would simply adjust my minimum shutter speed to suit the situation. When specifically doing landscapes on a tripod I would use ISO 200.

etrigan63

I normally set my D700 to a max upper ISO of 3200. 6400 is good, but not clean enough to my tastes (but that's just me). I have, on occasion, cranked it all the way up to 25,600 and the results are usable with Noise Ninja applied. Here is a sample:

jlancasterd

Thanks everyone!

I've started using auto-ISO, with a base ISO setting of 400, and a minimum shutter speed of 1/100. I came back from an outing today with several good shots for the next issue of the Magazine, so it appears to suit the kind of work I'm doing at the moment. I was shooting moving trains using 1/500 at around f8 most of the time.