The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Helllo, New to forum - a few pics

T

totallynatural

Hi everyone,

(sorry for my spelling in the subject title!)
I'd just like to introduce myself as I'm new to this forum, although I've been visiting it to read the threads since it began.
I used to frequent another forum site but due to lack of moderation it's pretty much become the 'wildwest' which 'gun slingers' everywhere, proclaiming one brand is better than another and so forth which has become quite depressing.
Here's a little bit of background about me (hope it does not bore you!!!:eek: )

I migrated from 350d to 40d with 70-200L IS 2.8 (with or without 1.4x tc), hoping to invest in the 400 f5.6 but due to arthritis can no longer carry the weight of those lenses. I also own (although am in the process of selling as I hardly use it anymore) a voigtlander bessa and love the rangefinder ethos. I decided to strike a compromise and sold the 40d (not due to image quality mind you, it was superb, the reason I stayed with Canon was for their 'affordable' L telephotos) and bought the d300 to primarily use with short prime lenses (ironically given the superb AF ;) ) and immediately bought voigtlander 40/2 ultron II. I really enjoy wildlife photography but am going to focus on prime lens landscape/'walkaround' photography due to the lower weight involved, although have bought a 70-300VR for its light weight and if anything catches my eye.

I have not had the opportunity to use the d300 a great amount yet but have taken some 'test' pics. I have some pictures posted on www.pbase.com/matthewjcarter in random test pics folder password: arnold.
I hope you like. Apologies for the hatchet job edits, my day job involves staring at screens all day long and in addition to arthritis I have eyes issues too so try to minimise computer work outside office hours. These I whizzed through just to show friends/relatives some pics.
I look forward to you comments/constructive criticism :)

Kind regards

Matt

Last edited:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I guess it's relative, but to me the 70–200 VR is big and heavy, esp. on a D3. On the D300, a bit lighter... but still.

Welcome to the forum.

T

totallynatural

Thanks for the welcome.

I really liked the versatility of constant aperture zooms but the weight definitely got to me. I've literally never used a camera so much as my D300 (with the voigtlander 40mm almost permanently welded to it, I have absolutely no complaints about the lens, I'm hoping they make a 25mm or wider version). I did not realise how much weight was a factor in subconciously deciding to use my GX100 over the 40d & 70-200combo.
Even though the D300 is most definitely not light, with a small lens I'm more than happy to carry it everywhere (although I'm unfortunately using the GX100 a lot less now!).

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
There is a pancake 45 Nikkor that is MF, too. But nothing wide enough for what I want. I am hoping that Nikon realises that there is a market for these true 'go-anywhere' cameras (one of their bodies, and a small EFOV lens around 35mm).

I have tried, variously, the D40, D50, and have both the DP-1 and E-420 with pancake 25 on order, for exactly the same reasons: go anywhere. The D300, while much lighter than the D3 is not this, for me, and for casual shooting I find AF helpful.