The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Portrait lens and macro lens for D200?

N

notnormal1969

Hi there,

I am looking for two lens for a D200, the two lenses I am considering are:

Portrait: Nikon 50Mm F1.8D Af Nikkor Lens Auto Focus

Macro: Nikon AF-S VR 105mm f/2.8G IF ED Micro

I would really appreciate any views or opinions on these lenses, or recommendations on other alternatives, many thanks.

Kr,
Richard

ecsh

I use the 105 on my d700 for both. On your crop sensor it would be more like a 135, which is not bad either. Since you are looking for the macro, try this lens for both before you get the 50, as it may be fine for you as well. I have found i have to be too close with the 85 on full frame for the head shot, which is close to where you will be with the 50.
Joe

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I use the 50/1.8 as well as the 85/1.8 for portrait on my S5 and D80, depending on how "up close and personal" I want to be. The 85 is clearly a superior lens,but you need more distance. With the 50/1.8 you need to get close to the subject if you want a soft background bokeh.

For macro, I use the older Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8. Perfect for what I do, and rather cheap second hand.

If it was me, I would buy both the 50 and 85, and save on the macro either by buying used or buying 3rd party. If money is no problem, consider the Sigma 50/1.4. It's big and heavy, but clearly superior. The Nikkor 50/1.4 is no slouch either, and smaller than the Sigma.

F

Froggy

I have just purchased the Micro Nikkor 105mm.

Crazy as it sounds, but i'm in love with this lens, have just taken some beautiful pictures of my friends children.

It's totally a differnt feel to photography now.

I feel like a new person.

Froggy

E

eastcolo

I always thought adding that 50mm lens would be the next thing I purchased. I have an 85mm f/1.8 and I used it a lot, but in certain low light situations indoors, I wished I had a wider lens because I found myself running out of room when backing up. Mostly ran into this problem photographing pregnant women or babies indoors, with window light. I think you would probably love both of these lenses.